Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

Going to the Dentist

Old 12-06-2012, 10:05 AM   #21
raj995 is on a distinguished road
Name: Ray
raj995's Tacoma Gallery
I am a dentist, so I'll give you my opinion on this. Obviously I have not seen your teeth or the radiographs, and you certainly may have some tooth decay. If you drink a lot of coke, sweet tea, eat sugary stuff, etc... there is a good chance you do. However, I would definitely get a second opinion. Hygienists legally are not aloud to diagnose tooth decay, but they do know what it looks like. My hygienists usually give the patients a heads up if they see some teeth that possibly have decay, then I make the final decision as to whether the teeth need any treatment. Every dentist is going to have a different opion on how to treat decay. It is very important that you have a trusting relationship with you dentist. If you did not like his personality, then you are going to dread every appointment. I would suggest calling a periodontist and ask them for a referral. They usually know most of the dentists in the area and know who the bests dentists are.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #22
aphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

aphex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj995 View Post
I am a dentist, so I'll give you my opinion on this. Obviously I have not seen your teeth or the radiographs, and you certainly may have some tooth decay. If you drink a lot of coke, sweet tea, eat sugary stuff, etc... there is a good chance you do. However, I would definitely get a second opinion. Hygienists legally are not aloud to diagnose tooth decay, but they do know what it looks like. My hygienists usually give the patients a heads up if they see some teeth that possibly have decay, then I make the final decision as to whether the teeth need any treatment. Every dentist is going to have a different opion on how to treat decay. It is very important that you have a trusting relationship with you dentist. If you did not like his personality, then you are going to dread every appointment. I would suggest calling a periodontist and ask them for a referral. They usually know most of the dentists in the area and know who the bests dentists are.
You should start an "Ask the Denstist" thread.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #23
tacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoteacher's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't let the arrogance get in the way, it comes with the territory. Some of my best doctors have been arrogant bastards, but excel at what they do. At the end of the day, you want the guy who knows what the hell he's doing. Having said that, in many cases some fillings need done NOW, and some can wait. Yes, it is a business. Educate yourself about the whole process, get second opinions, and be prepared to ask your dentist (or any other doctor) lots of questions. A good doctor will encourage this, and will talk to you. If he won't speak candidly about treatment options and finances, then you have the right to go to his competition. Again, it is a business. Don't neglect treatment whatever you do, it never ends well.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #24
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

TROLL ALERT!!!

A dentist in Louisiana?

My feeble attempt at humor said the man from Mississippi. That better Jasmine?
Old 12-06-2012, 10:38 AM   #25
raj995's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D View Post
TROLL ALERT!!!

A dentist in Louisiana?

not a troll, sorry. actual dentist here. go to my website

www.crawfordjarvisdental.com
Old 12-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #26
raj995's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
TROLL ALERT!!!

A dentist in Louisiana?

BTW, I lived in Oxford as a kid. I was born in Tupelo, but lived in Oxford until the 2nd grade. Have some great memories from there.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #27
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
get a new dentist. my dentist is amazing. he says, PAIN is the governor..if it doenst hurt, try to ride it out and keep a close eye on it.

my FIL got hosed..bad by a crooked dentist.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:42 AM   #28
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
not a troll, sorry. actual dentist here. go to my website

www.crawfordjarvisdental.com
U just did a me...my last line says it all! Being from the south, I was making a "southern" joke. But at least Jasmine has two of us to follow around and poke fun at for the way we think.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #29
raj995's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
U just did a me...my last line says it all! Being from the south, I was making a "southern" joke. But at least Jasmine has two of us to follow around and poke fun at for the way we think.
Too funny, I shoulda picked up on the humor!
Old 12-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #30

Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
HOLY THREAD JACK!

Thanks Jasmine...

And Ray have you been to Oxford recently? It keeps getting better. For all those that trash the south (not bad on this site) I say they need to visit Oxford. It's a great little town. I'm not at all surprised it's regularly voted as one of the best small towns.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #31
raj995's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
HOLY THREAD JACK!

Thanks Jasmine...

And Ray have you been to Oxford recently? It keeps getting better. For all those that trash the south (not bad on this site) I say they need to visit Oxford. It's a great little town. I'm not at all surprised it's regularly voted as one of the best small towns.
I stopped by for a few hours to look around about 6 years ago on my way to Memphis. It was very nice then and is probably nicer now.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:49 PM   #32
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlleiber View Post
Yeah I know, he could very well be the best dentist I've seen. His attitude was just off-putting and he came in and basically said all of my teeth need fillings, as if it was pre-determined before looking. And yeah, I guess 10 fillings in 2 years isn't bad, but I had only had 2 fillings ever before that.

Paying isn't an issue, I'm just a tight-wad and want to make sure I'm not paying for something I don't need.
If you think the dude is a dickhead, go somewhere else. Do you really want him drilling on your teeth? Personality conflict is a red flag for me.

I've had the same dentist for 15 years. Typically I go in for a cleaning and xrays, the hygeinist does the initial exam, then the dentist follows up. Yes, the dentist's actual time in the room is very quick. But I trust him, and he's not an arrogant dickhead.

Find a dentist you trust. I've been paying a little extra for the last several years to keep using this dentist. He's not in my primary network, but he specializes in "comfort dentistry" and he is very good at that, worth the extra money.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:48 AM   #33
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Legitimately interested in knowing...why is that?
From Experience, when I was living in Phoenix. They(women) just make you feel more comfortable. No one enjoys going to the dentist....she/they would always make it that much better. I only went a few times, never have had a cavity or any teeth problems. Since I worked at a bakery at that time, I would often drop off a platter of goodies at their office. .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
Buzz Killington.. I'm pretty sure he was making a statement that he'd rather have a woman than a man because he's attracted to women

Nothing like the scent of a woman