Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

Torn Labrum Surgery Recovery Journal

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #21
Okeetee [OP] Okeetee is offline
I like the Anaheim Ducks
Okeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud of
 
Okeetee's Avatar
Name: Kyle
Joined: Aug 2011, #61638
Location: Anaheim, CA
Gender: Dude
Posts: 828
Okeetee's Tacoma Gallery
Week three update.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:57 AM   #22
Okeetee [OP] Okeetee is offline
I like the Anaheim Ducks
Okeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud of
 
Okeetee's Avatar
Name: Kyle
Joined: Aug 2011, #61638
Location: Anaheim, CA
Gender: Dude
Posts: 828
Okeetee's Tacoma Gallery
One month update.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:50 PM   #23
Senior Member
Spitfire is a jewel in the roughSpitfire is a jewel in the roughSpitfire is a jewel in the rough
Navy: Surface Warfare
Joined: Feb 2011, #50544
Location: AZ West Valley
Gender: Male
Posts: 154
Spitfire's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for sharing. I have had a torn labrum for 17 years. I have always avoided surgery because I was worried about complications or incomplete recovery. I have had a major dislocation pretty reuglarly every few years since the initial injury. Last one was water skiing two summers ago. I had to get my life jacket off and reseat it treading water. Pretty intense pain.

Good luck with the recovery and thanks for sharing your story.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:57 PM   #24
Okeetee [OP] Okeetee is offline
I like the Anaheim Ducks
Okeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud of
 
Okeetee's Avatar
Name: Kyle
Joined: Aug 2011, #61638
Location: Anaheim, CA
Gender: Dude
Posts: 828
Okeetee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Thanks for sharing. I have had a torn labrum for 17 years. I have always avoided surgery because I was worried about complications or incomplete recovery. I have had a major dislocation pretty reuglarly every few years since the initial injury. Last one was water skiing two summers ago. I had to get my life jacket off and reseat it treading water. Pretty intense pain.

Good luck with the recovery and thanks for sharing your story.
Sorry to hear about your discomfort, Spitfire. Is it too late for you to have it operated on?

UPDATE
It's been a while since I've updated this.

I'll be going on four months post-op in four days, and I'm almost close to having full range-of-motion. I was cleared to play hockey (just skating/shooting the puck, nothing competitive) and the strengthening exercises have really picked up in intensity.

While I haven't done any weight lifting yet, I've been running/jogging/hiking with no discomfort.

No pain in my shoulder, just a little bit of soreness when I wake up once and a while. It's funny because my operated shoulder (left) no longer makes clicking noises but my right shoulder does.

Really looking forward to skating again.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #25
Senior Member
Spitfire is a jewel in the roughSpitfire is a jewel in the roughSpitfire is a jewel in the rough
Navy: Surface Warfare
Joined: Feb 2011, #50544
Location: AZ West Valley
Gender: Male
Posts: 154
Spitfire's Tacoma Gallery
Never too late, you just have to be at the right place in your life. I'm military and headed back to an operational billet for 3 years so I am waiting at least until that is over.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #26
Okeetee [OP] Okeetee is offline
I like the Anaheim Ducks
Okeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud of
 
Okeetee's Avatar
Name: Kyle
Joined: Aug 2011, #61638
Location: Anaheim, CA
Gender: Dude
Posts: 828
Okeetee's Tacoma Gallery
Just a quick update.

I skated today for the first time since the initial injury (five months ago) and it was awesome. No pain and most importantly, no limitations. Felt great.

Saw my PT today and she said I only need about 5 more degrees in external rotation before I'm 100%.

It's been a little over four months since my operation and my shoulder feels great. In fact, it's stronger than my other shoulder!
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:23 PM   #27
Okeetee [OP] Okeetee is offline
I like the Anaheim Ducks
Okeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud of
 
Okeetee's Avatar
Name: Kyle
Joined: Aug 2011, #61638
Location: Anaheim, CA
Gender: Dude
Posts: 828
Okeetee's Tacoma Gallery
Final update.

Had my last PT session today and have full range of motion.

Timeline
November 26, 2012 - tore labrum in left shoulder while playing hockey
December 6, 2012 - arthroscopic surgery to repair labrum (five anchors)
April 26, 2013 - final day of PT, full range of motion achieved
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #28
mall crawler
Rebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Parker
Joined: Mar 2011, #53387
Location: Birmingham, AL
Age: 12
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,601
Rebel Taco 22's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for making the thread.

I'm almost 4 weeks into my surgery. I was playing baseball over the summer and tore it and then played my senior year with it torn. It just took a lot of pain killers
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:47 AM   #29
Okeetee [OP] Okeetee is offline
I like the Anaheim Ducks
Okeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud of
 
Okeetee's Avatar
Name: Kyle
Joined: Aug 2011, #61638
Location: Anaheim, CA
Gender: Dude
Posts: 828
Okeetee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Taco 22 View Post
Thanks for making the thread.

I'm almost 4 weeks into my surgery. I was playing baseball over the summer and tore it and then played my senior year with it torn. It just took a lot of pain killers
Best of luck with your rehab. How'd you originally tear it?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:19 PM   #30
Senior Member
jluu44 is a glorious beacon of lightjluu44 is a glorious beacon of lightjluu44 is a glorious beacon of lightjluu44 is a glorious beacon of lightjluu44 is a glorious beacon of lightjluu44 is a glorious beacon of light
 
jluu44's Avatar
Name: Jon
Joined: Feb 2009, #13519
Location: North County San Diego, CA
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 215
jluu44's Tacoma Gallery
I enjoyed reading your journal. I have a SLAP tear on my right shoulder from playing volleyball, and I am debating getting the surgery right now as I am headed to grad school in January. Its physical therapy school so I will have to be able to use my arm for school work and hands on training. I'm debating if I should get the surgery right now or wait 2.5 years when I am done.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #31
RileySB
rileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
rileySB's Avatar
EMS:
Name: Gen
Joined: Apr 2013, #101692
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Gender: Chick
Posts: 337
rileySB's Tacoma Gallery
Glad to hear someone else's experience. I too have a SLAP tear from playing ice hockey with guys. Ended up with frozen shoulder which took months of PT 3x/week to recover my ROM and strengthen my shoulder muscles, still weak in the biceps but was still able to tough out playing hockey the entire time (beginner ice hockey) which may not have been the smartest idea but I did not want to give up playing. Surgery has always scared me and a lot of people warned me against it but glad it worked out for you (despite having a 4 month long rehab process- I couldn't let myself sit out of work, hockey, being active for that long). I'm just hoping my labrum will magically heal itself or I'll just build up enough strength to compensate for it. Doc told me if I changed my mind down the road he'd be happy to do it. Thanks for sharing!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:37 PM   #32
Okeetee [OP] Okeetee is offline
I like the Anaheim Ducks
Okeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud of
 
Okeetee's Avatar
Name: Kyle
Joined: Aug 2011, #61638
Location: Anaheim, CA
Gender: Dude
Posts: 828
Okeetee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rileySB View Post
Glad to hear someone else's experience. I too have a SLAP tear from playing ice hockey with guys. Ended up with frozen shoulder which took months of PT 3x/week to recover my ROM and strengthen my shoulder muscles, still weak in the biceps but was still able to tough out playing hockey the entire time (beginner ice hockey) which may not have been the smartest idea but I did not want to give up playing. Surgery has always scared me and a lot of people warned me against it but glad it worked out for you (despite having a 4 month long rehab process- I couldn't let myself sit out of work, hockey, being active for that long). I'm just hoping my labrum will magically heal itself or I'll just build up enough strength to compensate for it. Doc told me if I changed my mind down the road he'd be happy to do it. Thanks for sharing!
Looking back, the recovery time wasn't all that bad. The first week was tough and being in a sling for six weeks sucked, but once I started physical therapy, I started seeing light at the end of the tunnel. It's been almost a year since I had the surgery, and I have no regrets. Been playing hockey since April and the shoulder is strong and stable.

Best of luck, RileySB!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:53 PM   #33
mall crawler
Rebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Parker
Joined: Mar 2011, #53387
Location: Birmingham, AL
Age: 12
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,601
Rebel Taco 22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okeetee View Post
Best of luck with your rehab. How'd you originally tear it?
Forgot I posted in this thread. I originally tore it long tossing one summer.

I'm going on about 6 months now. It still hurts worse than before I had the surgery. I still have pain when I lift my arm over my head and reach straight up.

Is this normal? I figured by 6 months it wouldn't hurt anymore. I'm getting a little nervous I might have torn it again and might have to start all over, any insight is appreciated.

I quit therapy about 2 weeks ago. I have no way to get to therapy anymore, I am in college out of state and my truck is broken at home. I have been doing bands in the dorm.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:10 AM   #34
RileySB
rileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
rileySB's Avatar
EMS:
Name: Gen
Joined: Apr 2013, #101692
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Gender: Chick
Posts: 337
rileySB's Tacoma Gallery
I wonder I you have some adhesive capabilities post surgery (aka frozen shoulder). I had it after my shoulder dislocation and it was a bitch to get my range of motion back without pain. Usually that just takes time to heal with lots of PT (but that's what bands are doing already]. My main issue was pain at the limits of my range of motion greatly limiting how much I could move it without pain. I can't speak for post surgery- but I suppose it's possible since scar tissue develops inevitably after surgery and acute injury. What did your therapist say about the pain? Did they say it was normal for post op?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Taco 22 View Post
Forgot I posted in this thread. I originally tore it long tossing one summer.

I'm going on about 6 months now. It still hurts worse than before I had the surgery. I still have pain when I lift my arm over my head and reach straight up.

Is this normal? I figured by 6 months it wouldn't hurt anymore. I'm getting a little nervous I might have torn it again and might have to start all over, any insight is appreciated.

I quit therapy about 2 weeks ago. I have no way to get to therapy anymore, I am in college out of state and my truck is broken at home. I have been doing bands in the dorm.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:05 PM   #35
mall crawler
Rebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Parker
Joined: Mar 2011, #53387
Location: Birmingham, AL
Age: 12
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,601
Rebel Taco 22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rileySB View Post
I wonder I you have some adhesive capabilities post surgery (aka frozen shoulder). I had it after my shoulder dislocation and it was a bitch to get my range of motion back without pain. Usually that just takes time to heal with lots of PT (but that's what bands are doing already]. My main issue was pain at the limits of my range of motion greatly limiting how much I could move it without pain. I can't speak for post surgery- but I suppose it's possible since scar tissue develops inevitably after surgery and acute injury. What did your therapist say about the pain? Did they say it was normal for post op?
Thanks for the response. This sounds like the issue I am having. The therapist kept saying it will get better with time. I'm just having a hard time believing it after it's been 6 months, and I'm starting to get a little worried.

Is it normal for the pain to last 6 months? I guess the next step would be go to the doctor and possibly get an mri to see if its torn again?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 04:25 PM   #36
RileySB
rileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
rileySB's Avatar
EMS:
Name: Gen
Joined: Apr 2013, #101692
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Gender: Chick
Posts: 337
rileySB's Tacoma Gallery
My shoulder was "frozen" for about 6 months after my initial injury (which I found out to be a SLAP lesion aka 4mm tear of ant and post labrum with hill Sachs deformity but I opted for PT and no surgery), then one day it just got better and my range of motion was back and I had no pain albeit my strength is still poor. It was a tiring regimen of PT 2x/week with some ultrasound and manipulation by my therapist. Part of it maybe was mental too- I just for fed up with PT and decided I would just deal with the pain- then it was gone. I would def recommend asking your PT again or even your orthopedist as to why your ROM is not back to normal without pain. Judging from what I've read in this thread, surgery should leave you feeling pretty much normal. But it sounds like you're dealing with some post op issues with scarring. Was your surgery arthroscopic or was it an open one? My doc told me the rehab time varied greatly between the two. I'm surprised you haven't had a follow up appt with your doc after 6 months- just to check your post op progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Taco 22 View Post
Thanks for the response. This sounds like the issue I am having. The therapist kept saying it will get better with time. I'm just having a hard time believing it after it's been 6 months, and I'm starting to get a little worried.

Is it normal for the pain to last 6 months? I guess the next step would be go to the doctor and possibly get an mri to see if its torn again?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #37
Okeetee [OP] Okeetee is offline
I like the Anaheim Ducks
Okeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud of
 
Okeetee's Avatar
Name: Kyle
Joined: Aug 2011, #61638
Location: Anaheim, CA
Gender: Dude
Posts: 828
Okeetee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Taco 22 View Post
Is it normal for the pain to last 6 months? I guess the next step would be go to the doctor and possibly get an mri to see if its torn again?
I can't remember.. did you get your shoulder operated on? Or did you just opt for physical therapy and rehab?

I'm no doctor, but I'd go see a specialist or doctor if you're still having discomfort and pain six months later. Perhaps for mental reassurance alone.

Keep us updated.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:14 AM   #38
Junior Member
boggle is on a distinguished road
 
boggle's Avatar
Joined: Sep 2013, #113401
Location: VT
Gender: Male
Posts: 27
boggle's Tacoma Gallery
If your pain just stopped , have you noticed any change in the bicep on that arm? I am asking as my Dr. mentioned that if the pain suddenly stopped on my shoulder it would most likely be due to the biceps head separating? or tearing the tendon loose? as this is common and he said the pain would just stop in the shoulder but you might notice some bruising in the biceps area and also might develop a popeye muscle as the biceps head will slide down. This is fixable also. I think it is the long anchor for the biceps? (http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00031)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rileySB View Post
My shoulder was "frozen" for about 6 months after my initial injury (which I found out to be a SLAP lesion aka 4mm tear of ant and post labrum with hill Sachs deformity but I opted for PT and no surgery), then one day it just got better and my range of motion was back and I had no pain albeit my strength is still poor. It was a tiring regimen of PT 2x/week with some ultrasound and manipulation by my therapist. Part of it maybe was mental too- I just for fed up with PT and decided I would just deal with the pain- then it was gone. I would def recommend asking your PT again or even your orthopedist as to why your ROM is not back to normal without pain. Judging from what I've read in this thread, surgery should leave you feeling pretty much normal. But it sounds like you're dealing with some post op issues with scarring. Was your surgery arthroscopic or was it an open one? My doc told me the rehab time varied greatly between the two. I'm surprised you haven't had a follow up appt with your doc after 6 months- just to check your post op progress
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chris(NJ); Slowly but surely, a build journal Chris(NJ) 2nd Gen. Builds 91 03-16-2014 10:22 AM
may have torn my labrum or rotator cuff stuckinoh Health 15 10-14-2012 11:47 AM
[S2] Photo Journal of my Tacoma s2studio 2nd Gen. Builds 40 01-11-2012 03:44 PM
Online Wall Street Journal For Free Doc.SS Deals & Coupons 1 04-21-2010 06:03 AM
TW Hunting Journal eagleswarrior Guns & Hunting 30 02-03-2010 09:59 AM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.