Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

extreme lower back pain

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-22-2012, 10:16 PM   #1
subaru of america
rickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ricky
rickmeseke's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs down extreme lower back pain

alright so about 2 months ago (i think) my lower back (tramp stamp area) has been hurting. it seems like its getting worse everyday, but its definetely 100x worse then it was 2 months ago. I was doing p90x back then, which is what i thought caused it. i was pushing myself alot aind thought i just pulled something so i havnt done it for 2 months, but im certain thats not it because im not getting any better. it really depends on how im sitting. one day ill sit up straight and itll hurt like hell then the next ill sit straight and ill feel fine, and one day ill be on the toilet and it hurts worse to sit there then it does to actually crap, and vice versa. i have no idea what is wrong.

i dont have insurance so ive yet to go to a doctor, im going to "try" and go after the 1st of the year. i've been taking some of my cousins hydrocodons (10mg) and it does absolutely nothing for the pain (and i honestly thought it would help because ive never taking pain meds so i thought i had absolutely no tolerance, turns out i do?)

i sit in a chair for 4 hours of work and 4 hours im out and about on a golfcart/walking around, then when i come home im in my lazyboy taking it easy. i havnt done any hard labor or physical activity except installing my cousins lift last week, which i had quite a bit to drink (which actually helps alot more then the hydros) so i didnt feel it to much during but after i got home and woke up the next day i could definetley feel it.

does anyone know what goes on in the lower back that this could be, could it be severe? a disk or something? any information is helpful
Old 12-22-2012, 10:23 PM   #3
Goflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Goflight2's Tacoma Gallery
Read Dr Sarno's book, "Mind Over Back Pain". Howard Stern swears by it.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:24 PM   #4
subaru of america
rickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Go to a chiroprator
well the issue is money obviously, i dont even know how much they cost but i would imagine a chripractor visit be similar to a doctor visit, but i assumed a doctor would be a better choice because they can write prescriptions and should be able to tell me the same issue
Old 12-22-2012, 10:28 PM   #5
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmeseke View Post
well the issue is money obviously, i dont even know how much they cost but i would imagine a chripractor visit be similar to a doctor visit, but i assumed a doctor would be a better choice because they can write prescriptions and should be able to tell me the same issue
If your spine is misaligned a chiro is a better bet
Old 12-22-2012, 10:33 PM   #6
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Can you tell if it is tissue hurting or does it feel like a sharp radiating pain (pinched nerve)?
Old 12-22-2012, 10:34 PM   #7
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
x2 on Chiro, most have a decent cash plan for those without insurance and I can attest to a good Doc's progress on a bad back. I have hemorrhaged and serrated discs in my upper and lower back, many injuries, etc. . . and pain is down significantly since seeing a chiro regularly.

It's your spine man, you can't exactly replace it if it goes bad. Spring the dough somehow and get it checked out.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:34 PM   #8
subaru of america
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjew18 View Post
Can you tell if it is tissue hurting or does it feel like a sharp radiating pain (pinched nerve)?
its a sharp pain,it doesnt run down my leg or up my back. it feels like it goes left to right rather then up and down my back. i dont know alot about pain, the only pain ive ever had was a broken ankle in high school.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:40 PM   #9
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
its a sharp pain,it doesnt run down my leg or up my back. it feels like it goes left to right rather then up and down my back. i dont know alot about pain, the only pain ive ever had was a broken ankle in high school.
Herniated disc. Although you aren't doing the exercise anymore you need to relax and not be doing much of anything for a week or so. Then go to see a doctor or chiro. I would recommend a doctor to have diagnostics done to see if the disc is slipped or burst, treatment would vary drastically and a chiro couldn't help if it is burst disc.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:45 PM   #10
I phucking hate people >:(
ink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st Civ Div
Name: TACO LOVER
ink junky's Tacoma Gallery
You know, everybody is different. It's not always the same case with everybody. Having said that, alot of people have lower back problems due to not stretching out their hamstrings.

I am not saying this is your case, but it never hurts to stretch, especially after a work out, because your muscles are tight. They could use some stretching.

If you wouldn't mind going to walmart and buyin a bag of epsolm salt, filling your tub up with hot/warm water about half way and then sit in it, legs extended out in front of you, and slowly stretch like so...

Just make sure there is enough water so that when you sit in it your legs are submerged, preferably up to your "tramp stamp" area.

Again, I'm not saying this is your case, but sometimes not stretching tight hamstring muscles causes lower back pain.

This was my case a few years ago, I couldn't bear to drive around due to the pain,getting in and out of the car sucke, and I couldn't even twist around.
Went to the doctor and he said my lower back was tense and suggested I stretch ma hamstrings. Pain went away after about 2 soaks, once a day.

Edit: some more people responded as I was typing, what I typed above, is probably not your case from what you mentioned. Does it hurt to stretch though?
Old 12-22-2012, 10:48 PM   #11
subaru of america
http://familyhealthchiropractic.info...t_special.html

can you guys tell me if thats a good deal, thats a chiropractor down the road from me and it says new patients $75 includes office visit, xray if necessary (which i think i do lol) and examination. if thats the case i'll just pick up an extra shift this week and use that day pay for this visit.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:52 AM   #12
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Yup, it was about that for my wife's first visit.

She has 2 bad discs, has for about 15 years. L5 and L1, and they're both degenerating.

Between doing the chiro and changing the bed to memoryfoam, she's night and day the past 8 yrs. She used to miss a week of work at least once a year and would walk bent over.

On the memoryfoam, get the contoured pillow, you can find it around $20 and it cradles your head so supports the spine..and the mattress topper if you don't have the bucks for a new one, just get the 3 inch one.

You may not feel it down your leg, that is the psiatic nerve. She rarely did, but oh when she did it was brutal. I remember riding in her truck and every time she put the clutch in she'd start crying.

Good luck..there is relief in sight with it, she's been able to manage hers for a long time now with minimal flareups except one bad one recently. She doesn't even go to the chiro but a couple of times a year unless it's acting up.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:57 AM   #13
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
Kolunatic's Tacoma Gallery
I'll admit lack of stretching is my problem. But I go to chiropractor quarterly. 10 mg hydrcodones wouldn't do jack for me either. Try 800mg ibuprofen,or naproxen. If ya can get more hydrocodones take more . As said before,hot bath with a few pounds of Epsom salt. Hope ya get better man,I know how ya feel.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:17 AM   #14
the Nightman cometh!

jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

can you guys tell me if thats a good deal, thats a chiropractor down the road from me and it says new patients $75 includes office visit, xray if necessary (which i think i do lol) and examination. if thats the case i'll just pick up an extra shift this week and use that day pay for this visit.
The problem with a chiro is one treatment is not enough, you need to go back weekly and sometimes depending on their plan for you.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:20 AM   #15
subaru of america
Quote:
The problem with a chiro is one treatment is not enough, you need to go back weekly and sometimes depending on their plan for you.
i understand that, but if for 75 bucks they can tell me whats wrong with me thats a good deal right? then i can go from there if need be/when i can afford it
Old 12-23-2012, 04:21 AM   #16
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
Kolunatic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Mine tried doing that. After a couple visits I bought my own big exercise inflatable ball to stretch my back. I told him ill come in on a as needed plan,or quarterly.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:26 AM   #17
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 34th SIG
Name: Tom
95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

You might have a slight muscle pull in the lower back. Streaching is what I would do first.

You really shoul go see your family doc. I know you do not have a lot of cash and this will be expensive to diagnoise.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:29 AM   #18
Skewpage
chilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rodrigo
chilidogrc's Tacoma Gallery
Chiro is not a one time thing. Depending on how bad your alignment is (it will be bad, trust me) it will take multiple adjustments over a period of time. The more frequent you go, the better. Most chiropractors will take X-rays or emg scans to see where the subluxation/misalignment is.

Meds just mask the pain.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:30 AM   #19
the Nightman cometh!

jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i understand that, but if for 75 bucks they can tell me whats wrong with me thats a good deal right? then i can go from there if need be/when i can afford it
Well that is where you get into the difference of a doctor and a chiro, chiro don't really give you a diagnosis (they do call it something) but the diagnose through treatment. They set out a treatment plan to resolve your pain, which can be quite effective but they don't say here is what is wrong, take two of these and call me on the morning. They are in between a physical therapy doctor and a masseuse.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:44 AM   #20
I come from a long line of Conga dancers.
Natetroknot is a name known to allNatetroknot is a name known to allNatetroknot is a name known to allNatetroknot is a name known to allNatetroknot is a name known to allNatetroknot is a name known to all

Name: Nate
Natetroknot's Tacoma Gallery
I've herniated L4 & L5 discs (lowest part of spine) and I can tell you - if you can walk at all, that's probably not your problem.

A mild herniation, or "bulging" disc, can cause some pretty heavy duty discomfort. Check your posture in a full length mirror while in your birthday suit. If a disc is pushing on a nerve, your body's core muscles will naturally change your posture to attempt to alleviate that pressure. Your body will also naturally do whatever it takes to keep your head in the same position. When I get considerable back pain, I look like a comma or banana in the mirror.

Even the best of pain medication doesn't seem to do much for lower back pain when nerve ping is involved. 800mg Motrin help me a lot for the minor stuff. Be careful with chiropractors. Depending on their style, a big 'ol crack can fuck you up worse. I've had this happen as well.

The two things I swear by are acupuncture and inversion tables. Amazon sells a decent model inversion table for about $150 if I'm not mistaken. Decompression of the spine, paired with stretching and drinking lots of water, will gradually improve your condition over time.

Good luck. Your lower back is the focal point of your entire body, and I know it sucks when it's out of whack. Take it easy on the lifting for buddies and the alcohol for a while. If you smoke, stop. Every little bit helps my friend.

Products Discussed in this Thread