Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

Who here is a diabetic or knows someone?

Old 01-06-2013, 06:40 AM   #21
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecjr173 View Post
I've been diabetic for 20 years and on the Medtronic insulin pump for about 2 years. I love the freedom it gives. It looks like you have gotten a lot of great advise so no need to repeat everything again. One thing I use is life savers candy. I prefer those over the glucose tabs. Have your pops carry some of those. I dipped into the 30's and wasn't responsive when my alarm went off so my wife called 911. Paramedics hooked up some IV in my bedroom. Within a few minutes I was back to normal. I don't remember a thing only a hot female paramedic working on me towards the end.
life savers are too slow to stop a dangerous low. you need dextrose tabs and water, that is the fastest way to sugar up without hitting the glucagon (glucagon will ruin your next few days if you ever need it)

only a 2nd party should ever use glucagon...in other words, you use it on a diabetic who is already unable to swallow anything. it dumps the liver and will bring up sugar, but recovery from glucagon can take days of feeling like absolute crud until you can build up the liver stores again

anyway, everyone is different, but the rules are the same. Test a boatload of times daily until you get a pattern that is repeatable and predictable...and even then sometimes this is impossible in 'brittle diabetics'

type 1 blows but things could be worse. this is treatable to the point of no further health effects but it takes diligence on the testing....and test strips are not always cheap
Old 01-06-2013, 07:13 AM   #22
She's Fat, I'm Drunk, It's On.
05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed

05 TRD Sport's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
test strips are not always cheap
Wal mart has a store brand meter (Reli-On Prime). 50 test strips are only $9.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:08 PM   #23
Mr. Boombastic
TacoIII will become famous soon enoughTacoIII will become famous soon enough

Air Force: Security forces
Name: Andrew
TacoIII's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys for the advice! He is just very stubborn so to make sure this type of incident dosent happen again we are going to have to be just as stubborn about him testing himself and eating on a regular basis. He generally likes to keep his levels around 100. Should the be higher to maybe give him more time to realize he is going low?
Old 01-06-2013, 07:42 PM   #24
Dcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dcpsychobilly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
a diabetic who often goes low because they have excellent control of high blood sugar levels will not show ketones. this is not relevant to someone who goes low a ton. ketones are gonna show up in someone who has crap control
and has a high a1c, fwiw

advice

Op just pick him up something (any of the stuff mentioned) and put in his truck.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #25
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoIII View Post
Thanks guys for the advice! He is just very stubborn so to make sure this type of incident dosent happen again we are going to have to be just as stubborn about him testing himself and eating on a regular basis. He generally likes to keep his levels around 100. Should the be higher to maybe give him more time to realize he is going low?

well, no really. 100 is ideal. ADA says 140 is ideal (because it helps avoid low problems)

so you have a choice:

a) stay at 100 avg and learn to deal with lows, and live forever with no further damage from diabetes, [neuropathy, eye problems....]

b) or ride a 140 all the time and don' risk lows at all...but you increase risk of long-term and later life symptoms as above, from having the higher a1c

---
that is the problem with type 1. your a1c needs to be low for long life and no complications, but keeping a1c 5.5 is no game...lows absolutely suck