Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

Anybody A Bone Wiz???

Old 01-15-2013, 06:14 PM   #1
Super Mod!
BlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
BlueTaco07's Tacoma Gallery
Anybody A Bone Wiz???

Back in Sep 2012 I fractured a smalled chunk of my hip bone. Very small. The doc said it was ripped off by thigh muscles and would take 6-8 weeks to heal. Well it was healed and today I did some sorta gallop and snap it went again. Are bones seriously that weak after being broken once? I need to know why it would do that again. Im going into the academy in under 5 months soo yeah..
Old 01-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
Ask a doctor?

I know once you break a bone it is weak point..dunno HOW weak, tho.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
Super Mod!
BlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
Ask a doctor?

Im really not considering going back to an orthopedic. All he told me was rest it for the time period and it'll heal itself.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:20 PM   #4
Domreis is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Domreis's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
Ask a doctor?

Actually the bone is stronger at the point of a previous break due to the way it heals. If you are to injury the same area again you are much more likely to injury it above or below the previous injury.

If you are breaking a part of your pelvis that easily there is something more going on. I would consult an Orthopedist rather than your family practitioner.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:25 PM   #5
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domreis View Post
Actually the bone is stronger at the point of a previous break due to the way it heals. If you are to injury the same area again you are much more likely to injury it above or below the previous injury.

If you are breaking a part of your pelvis that easily there is something more going on. I would consult an Orthopedist rather than your family practitioner.

Weird...i could of sworn it was weaker...

But hey, im not a dr.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:25 PM   #6
Super Mod!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domreis View Post

Yeah I already went to one back in September/October. If I could explain it better I would but its right above where the femur connects to the ball joint of your hip. On the edge of the hip alittle point comes out and that snapped off.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:27 PM   #7
Walker T has a brilliant futureWalker T has a brilliant futureWalker T has a brilliant futureWalker T has a brilliant futureWalker T has a brilliant futureWalker T has a brilliant futureWalker T has a brilliant futureWalker T has a brilliant futureWalker T has a brilliant futureWalker T has a brilliant futureWalker T has a brilliant future

Army: Squad Leader, Charlie Company, 4/16th Regiment, 1st Infantry Division. Oh-so-many years ago...
Walker T's Tacoma Gallery
I would get it x-rayed again. A bone will heal of course, so long as it is approximated to the surface of the bone it broke-off from, and has blood supply. Picture a wooden 2x4 that is broken in half. If you apply some wood glue and put the 2 pieces back where they belong together...it will harden and function....it may not be as strong as it was before...or stronger than before...but it will work fine.

Take those same pieces of wood and separate them by a half and inch...and use a whole bottle of glue....NOT going to re-join at all. This is why they will glue, screw, and apply plates to broken bones. To approximate them together so they can heal.

I know no guy ever want to see a doc...but dude...see the doc. Just to be sure.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:33 PM   #8
jeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
jeffvt0508's Tacoma Gallery
so its your ball and socket joint that is an issue.. it could easily be that your hips are out of line..chiropractor would be able to tell but I would see an orthopedic dr first to clear a chiropractor ... i'm a vet tech and we see this a lot in malformation hips .. some breeds are more specific than others.. and I would def let your recruiter know because this is a huge problem going into basic.. not tryin to spook you but if its a consistent problem hip replacement might be in order.. but again.. as previously stated.. not a doctor..
Old 01-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #9
jeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
jeffvt0508's Tacoma Gallery
wat you don't want to happen is a large callus form and then you keep chipping it once it forms...it can cause loads of pain will completely mess up the acetabulum...
Old 01-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #10
Domreis is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Domreis's Tacoma Gallery
Is it the Falciform Process that is broken? If so then that won't heal without a pin or screw. In some cases if it a small enough piece they can just remove the broken piece. The Falciform Process is what usually breaks if you fall on your butt rather than your side. It is really common in elderly people.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #11
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
My advice is of you feel your previous doctor didn't help or give you a thorough examination.. Find a different doctor for a second opinion. Don't settle!
Old 01-15-2013, 07:02 PM   #12
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
PM sent
Old 01-15-2013, 07:13 PM   #13
bmpskir will become famous soon enoughbmpskir will become famous soon enough

bmpskir's Tacoma Gallery
I work with broken bones all day - not a Dr but work for a medical device company that makes bone stimulators... it is a device that helps heal broken bones quicker and make sure they heal... that is a different story but sounds like greater trochanter area? that is an area where they can put in a long screw coming up thru the femur into that diagonal area you are talking about... not sure how it could be ripped off so we may be talking different areas...

as for recently healed bones - it is true that they are a bit weaker for a while after it technically heals, but given enough time the area is as strong as any other part of the bone...

but take it from me - go see another orthopod, get a second opinion!!! then get a third if you want... this is your body and you are its advocate - corney as it sounds it is true! Drs are like everyone else - they have different opinions and regardless of what they think, they are not gods... the issue you have is if untreated, it can turn into what is called a non union... then you have issues... get it checked out!!!
Old 01-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #14
Super Mod!

The point that I circled above the femur is what Im talking about.
It got snapped off about an half an inch last year.. I can tell I just did it again
Old 01-15-2013, 09:23 PM   #15
If ya ain't first, your last!
CNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really nice
Name: Nate
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
I've been through the same ordeal you have, well somewhat. My freshman year of football season, I had one hand on the ground trying to stay up with the ball, when a defensive lineman jumped one me and my arm snapped (Radius and Ulna). From my wrist to my elbow, my arm was U-Shaped, the most disgusting thing I have ever seen in my life. Anyways, long story short, had surgery on it, and not 3 weeks later, I slipped on a patch of ice and broke the bones again completely. This time they did surgery and put 2 titanium plates and 12 screws in my arm. From what the doctors told me, when the bones heal they are just as strong if not stronger than before, but they have to have the appropriate time to heal in order to do so. As a result, they ensured it would heal by practically screwing everything together.

So, sorry for the longwinded response, but from what Ive discovered they do heal just as strong, so long as you give it the time and take it easy.

Breaking bones are no fun! Having said that, think I'm going to get me a big glass of milk
Old 01-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #16
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
That's part of your acetabulum and should deff go get that checked out....it won't heal properly and keep breaking until its fixed!
Old 01-29-2013, 03:38 PM   #17
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
How's it going? That PM being applied at all? haha