Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

My Jaw Surgery Adventure

Old 02-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #1
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
My Jaw Surgery Adventure

Well, here goes...

I don't quite have a procedure to the extent of SingleCabGuy, but I am marginally nervous and new to this whole surgery world either way.

I had braces when I was in my early teens. Got everything all straightened out and thought everything was hunky-dory. About the time my braces came off, my orthodontist at the time realized that my bottom jaw continued to grow when my upper had stopped. He told us that something would likely have to be done at some point in time to get my bite figured out, whether that be just braces again to get everything pulled back together or something a little more serious.

Fast forward to a year ago: In my Junior year of college, looking forward to graduate and on the lookout for potential job prospects. The last thing that I wanted to do was go and get braces. At the time I was convinced that all of this braces/possible surgery stuff would be better suited to wait until I was out of college. After thinking on it for a long time I came to the conclusion that there is no such thing as a "good time" to have braces. I came to terms with getting braces and trying to get them off before I got out of college so that maybe I would have that chapter of my life behind me by the time I got into adulthood and my career.

Got my braces on Dec 15, 2011 (the day after my birthday). Worked with the orthodontist for a while and then around March 2012 I started to look for surgeons to give me a consult about possible surgery. The response was unanimous... I need to have surgery to correct my bite the way that it needs to be. There's a long story about the consults, but long story short I ended up choosing a surgeon that is in my town.

Everything was going well and I had surgery scheduled for July 19,2012. On the 14th I saw my surgeon for my final consult so that he could take impressions and make my stint for the surgery. The following morning I get a call from him telling me that my teeth are not where he expected them to be and that he cannot perform the surgery. (As a little aside, I have been putting things off and changing plans to accommodate this surgery. My new job that I will be starting soon has also been put off because I am having surgery.) I was absolutely livid at this point. I really hated my orthodontist in the first place so I promptly fired him and found an orthodontist here in town that had worked with my surgeon many times before with great results.

Fast forward to today where I have been working with my surgeon and my orthodontist to get myself ready for surgery. My last visit with the ortho was where they used pieces of wire to tie the wire to each one of my brackets and the surgical hooks were also installed at that time. My surgery is scheduled for March 14. I will do my best to update this thread with some pics as well as news/thoughts along the way.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #3
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Old 03-12-2013, 09:41 PM   #5
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Update on 3/11/13:

Saw the surgeon for my final consult. He took some impressions, a cat scan, and some other stuff to give him an idea of where to move me. I finally got some pics of my current status so that you guys can see where I am. I have a little bit of a sore throat/cold symptoms creeping up at me right now so I am pretty much a walking pharmacy trying to fight it and getting as much sleep as humanly possible. They won't do the surgery if I am running a fever or if I am experiencing chest congestion. Hopefully I can kill it for good with some solid sleep tonight. I meet with the surgeon tomorrow one final time to make sure that the stint fits. And I'll update the OP right now with some pics
Old 03-13-2013, 07:06 AM   #6
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Kid....if you have to delay this AGAIN I think you should just give up! Holy crap. Or are you doing this on purpose for drama and sympathy?
Old 03-13-2013, 08:58 AM   #7
Vivid Illumination

No I'm super serial... its my luck more than anything I think. Didn't sleep super well last night but I don't feel any worse or better this morning really. If I can stay at this level I think ill be fine. Going in a couple hours to make sure my stint fits
Old 03-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #8
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
trim that nose hair! you damn samsquantch

I had jaw surgery once...it was OK

but the percosets afterward sucked
(hated feeling permanently loopy)
Old 03-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #9
Vivid Illumination

Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
trim that nose hair! you damn samsquantch

I had jaw surgery once...it was OK

but the percosets afterward sucked
(hated feeling permanently loopy)
Fine

I gotta shave my face anyway
Old 03-13-2013, 05:12 PM   #11
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
Stint fits... Surgery set for 9am. Here we go!
good luck................

Be thinking about ya......
Old 03-14-2013, 02:37 PM   #12
Tacoma Lover
SupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
SupraT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
Fine

I gotta shave my face anyway
Yeah man whats that shit on your face

Good luck Colton
Old 03-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #13
frog
jamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
jamtoz's Tacoma Gallery
good luck!
Old 03-14-2013, 02:43 PM   #14
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
God speed brotha!!
Old 03-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #15
mizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shedmizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shedmizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shedmizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shedmizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shedmizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shedmizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shedmizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shedmizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shedmizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shedmizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mac
mizzac's Tacoma Gallery
And for once...there was silence from Colton.

Good luck bud, text me when your feeling up to it.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:54 PM   #16
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzac View Post
And for once...there was silence from Colton.

Good luck bud, text me when your feeling up to it.
Kinda nice huh?

I wonder if he'll be any uglier when this is all over?
Old 03-14-2013, 05:06 PM   #17
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck man..hope all goes quick for you
Old 03-14-2013, 09:29 PM   #18
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Hope everything went as planned and that you are doing ok.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:31 PM   #19
Vivid Illumination

Alright, here's an update... Had surgery yesterday morning. Had a bitch of time coming out of anesthesia. They told me that young healthy men for some reason seem to have a problem with it. Surgery was planned to be 1.5 hours, ended up taking approx 3 hours... Doctor said that I have very thick bones. That being said he really roughed me up. Whole face is numb and very swollen. I think it was worse yesterday though. This morning I went in to see the doc for a quick checkup. My jaw muscles are very numb so I am not able to find the right area for my jaw to sit. He wired my splint to my top teeth so that my lower teeth are able to find the area they need to be. Here are some pics, and I hear that my worst days are ahead of me still.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #20

MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
they did make you uglier!!!

glad you got through it so far kid...I'm sure it will be an interesting struggle as the "numbness" wears off.