1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone have kidney stones?

Discussion in 'Health' started by TnRedNeck721, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Dec 26, 2013 at 9:16 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    Drink more water...

2. Dec 27, 2013 at 8:51 PM
    07regtacoman

07regtacoman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Davis Ca
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver REG Cab
    Painted arm rests, 2011 front grille,Readylift for 5lug.
    Sucks for sure.On my way to work at 4:30 in the morning in sept when it hit.Was the worst.You cant stay still and the pain is the freaking worst.3 shots of dilaudid and I was in happy town.Dilaudid was told is like ten times more powerful than morphine.Drinking water after by the bottle and still took 4 weeks later to pass it.Hold your junk to build back pressure and let it rip.Goes off like a gun and barely felt it.Mine was anly slightly larger than 2mm.

3. Jan 18, 2014 at 9:11 PM
    hitmans.army

hitmans.army Just a guy.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Myrtle Creek, OR
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner & '40 Chrysler Coupe
    Bilstein 5100s up front with OME 885s, rear Add-A-Leaf, LED lights (tails, dome, map, plate lights), Kicker 8" in custom fiberglass enclosure under back seat, Kicker speakers throughout and Kicker amp for sub, Pioneer DVD Player, Satoshi Grille with Devil Horns, Leer 100XQ.
    Went with water and unsweetened cranberry juice. Passed a 3.5mm and a bunch of sand, best way to describe it.

4. Jan 18, 2014 at 9:18 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    Water is good ;-)

5. Jan 18, 2014 at 10:49 PM
    hitmans.army

hitmans.army Just a guy.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Myrtle Creek, OR
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner & '40 Chrysler Coupe
    Bilstein 5100s up front with OME 885s, rear Add-A-Leaf, LED lights (tails, dome, map, plate lights), Kicker 8" in custom fiberglass enclosure under back seat, Kicker speakers throughout and Kicker amp for sub, Pioneer DVD Player, Satoshi Grille with Devil Horns, Leer 100XQ.
    Except southern Arizona water.

BalutTaco likes this.
  6. Jan 18, 2014 at 11:09 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    Nope. Its still good.

7. Feb 7, 2014 at 10:21 AM
    Kenobe

Kenobe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I had my first one right before Christmas. I thought my kidney would explode. It took:
    - One surgery to try and get it out. Doc couldn't reach it (too high up) so he put a stint in from my kidney to my bladder. I peed myself several times the next few days.
    - 5 days later the doc pulled the stint out. OMG what a flash of pain that was. Over the next two weeks the stone did drop some.
    - Two weeks after the first I surgery the doc tried again to go get it. Lucky the 6x4MM stone finally dropped enough for him to grab. Doc put another stint in as the ureta can contract after trauma like that.
    - A few days later the doc pulled out the 2nd stint. Yowee that wasn't fun again.

The guys at work asked, "Where did he cut you?" Oh, he didn't cut me. He went in thru my pecker for those 4 procedures with my feet up in the stirrups. During the two surgeries I was knocked out. During the two stint removals I wasn't. The stint removals take all of 30 seconds but there's no pride left after something like that. He sticks a scope in, grabs the stint, and pulls very fast. After the surgeries I pissed fiery lava for 3 days.

I'm pretty sure I had the stone because I was not drinking enough water (too much coffee instead).

Right after that I had 2 pancreatic attacks. That hurts just as much as kidney stones and I spent 3 days in the hospital during the 2nd attack. Those mess up your liver functions and can cause organ damage. Alcoholism is a major cause for that but I only have like 2 beers a month. My doc is still trying to determine root cause for that.

8. Aug 6, 2014 at 3:38 PM
    island taco

island taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vince
    victoria, canada
    Vehicle:
    White '23 LBDC TRDSport
    Kicker speakers, Key amp, Spiker hood struts, tonnueo cover, Cooper AT3 4s, Method Double Standard Bronze
    I never felt pain like it! Felt like trying to pee a thorny golf ball. Have had 3 attacks and passed 2. Had to remove the other by surgery because of the size. My doc said if you can save the stone they can analise it to see what your eating that's causing them. He told me to pee through nylons. Also drink plenty of water. It helps flush before they begin.

9. Aug 6, 2014 at 6:57 PM
    JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB TRD OR S/C
    TRD supercharger, TRD exhaust, skids, sliders
    Have had a few large ones - the largest at 6mm. Pretty sure I've passed small ones here and there. The pain is the worst. I vomit over and over up front (didn't hear folks mention this), then it's just the pain in the lower back.

Each one was a different experience:
    - first one caused me pain for about 5 hours, then stopped. It apparently had retreated back to the kidney. Pissed through a strainer for about two weeks and caught it - no pain. It's arrival was a surprise.
    - second one was the 6mm. I was told that 1-5mm was considered "passable". They gave me some options and I went with trying to pass it. Spend two days in the hospital doped up and passed it. Knew it was coming, and it was uncomfortable, and plenty of blood in the urine.
    - third one was 4.5mm IIRC. Went to ER, got checked out and some good meds, then released with a prescription for some med pills I'm holding onto for the next attack (found out my med insurance doesn't cover as much of the ER visit as it used to - yikes! don't want to go back there unless I'm dying). Turns out I didn't use the meds, as the pain passed. Within a week I passed it - knew that one was coming too but not too painful.

10. Oct 1, 2014 at 5:38 PM
    Possum Fat

Possum Fat You gonna eat your cornbread?

Member:
    Southeast OK
    Vehicle:
    Caucasion 2010 DC LB 4WD; Magnetic Grey 2015 DCLB TRD Sport
    I get them shittin stones about once every 2 years or so. Started in fall of 2009. Woke up with this feeling like a bad cramp in my lower back. That just got worse by the minute. 30 minutes later the pain so bad I was puking off the front porch. Went later that morning to urgent care. They did a ct scan and told me pretty much what every one else did. I had a stone. I never saw that particular stone so it must've been no bigger than a grain of sand.

Since then I've passed a few that were in the 6mm range. Never had em analyzed yet. One day I might. Funny thing is, I've never barfed during an attack since that first one, and I know I've passed bigger once since.

Now I pretty much have a protocol when I first feel my back getting that cramping feeling.

First thing I do is swallow 4 ibuprofin for the pain, and I lean back on a heating pad. Then I just sit back and drink and drink and drink as much water as I can while watching episodes of The Boondocks or Squidbillies. Then I drink some more. If I have it, I'll drink a few beers too. That seems to help me relax despite the pain. Pretty soon I'm pissing almost nonstop for several hours and it gets that stone moving. Most the time when I get a stone, from start of the pain till it goes away or I pass it is no more than 3-4 hours.

11. Mar 4, 2016 at 11:20 AM
    ralfnjan

ralfnjan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Been there with 2 stones, 20 years apart. First while building my house...not drinking enough water. Passed that one with the help of the IVP prep. Shit like an inverted volcanoe for a couple of hours and that action helped move the stone along.

Second time i was visiting my just-stroked father in hospital, again, not drinking enough water! That one would move a little, then sit for a couple of weeks, then move again. Eventually had the removal-via-pecker route done. A catheter was in me when I woke from surgery, not so bad until Esther (the nurse) removed it. It looked like she was starting a chainsaw when she pulled it out. Stent removal uncomfortable as well...then passing chunks of tissue and clots. Felt like swedish meatballs going through.

Lots of water! A bottle is always in the vehicle when driving, in the pack when hiking, the gym bag at the gym etc etc.

12. Mar 4, 2016 at 11:57 AM
    Yotabilly

Yotabilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    2013 4cyl,5spd.4x4 Reg Cab
    UWS low profile toolbox, tint, rainguards, color matched grill surround 265/75r16 Goodyear Duratracs Ultra-Guage XB fogs, Weathertech Floor Liners, OME 884s, 2"AAL, Bilstein 5100s, FJ Trail Team wheels, Matt123 skid plate, 30" light bar, Rigid Duallys, Bed extender
    I had them at 21. The worst pain I've ever experienced. I even cried a little before the morphine.
    Later I talked to a WW2 vet with one arm who had them. He said it was the worst pain he'd experienced too. It made me feel a little better about the tears. I've been stone Free for over a decade now, stopped drinking soda.

enforcertaco91 likes this.
  13. Sep 11, 2019 at 12:11 AM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    Don't drink anything but water 1hr or more before bed, I learned the hard way that having an adult beverage in the hour before going to sleep is a good way to give yourself a kidney stone. If you find yourself regularly waking up in the middle of the night to piss like a racehorse then you're well on your way to kidney stones.

Fortunately mine was small and passed on its own but it was still really uncomfortable and not something I would ever want to experience on a larger scale.

I read an article recently too that said regular iced tea drinkers are way more likely to get them, which has made me more fearful of iced tea. I love iced tea :(

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    GQ7227 likes this.
  14. Sep 11, 2019 at 12:24 AM
    El Duderino

El Duderino Obviously, you're not a golfer.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    HI->PNW
    Vehicle:
    16 MGM Sport 4x4 DCSB & 19 nautical blue SR5 premium 4x4
    Stuff, things, this, an ADS
    Yup had one once about 7-8 years ago. Puked my brains out, worst pain in my entire life. I have never had pain that made me beg for mercy. Called my friend who’s a doctor he told me what it was most likely. I wanted to die that night. So the next two days I pounded water and kept trying to to pass it. Pissed as hard as I could every time and got it into my junk and used the handle end of spoon while in the bath tub working it out the rest of the way.(yes it’s exactly as you picture it). I blame using a shit ton of adderal for my finals.

15. Feb 16, 2020 at 7:47 AM
    FHC

FHC Well-Known Member

Member:
    I’ve had them for years. A while back I started drinking water with a fresh squeezed Lemmon every morning and I haven’t had a large one in almost a year. I can’t prove that works but I ain’t gonna stop

RobZ9132 likes this.
  16. Feb 19, 2020 at 12:17 PM
    RobZ9132

RobZ9132 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Somewhere in NC
    Vehicle:
    2004 Double Cab TRD
    I have had 2 kidney stones in my 30 short years on this earth. The first one came after a 12 hour drive back from seeing my dying grandfather. I had been at work maybe 45 minutes on a Monday.. It started as a dull throb, I figured I sat in the car to long and got up to stretch, 20 mins later my boss asked me if I wanted the ambulance or my wife to come get me. 10 minutes later I walked (well stumbled) into the ER. Skipped triage and get straight to a room where a nurse popped in and hooked me up to an IV and gave me a shot of morphine which didn't touch the pain. The Dr. came in and told me to calm down and breathe or I was going to pass out. I was able to get my breathing under control somewhat and was in the fetal position in pain. The Dr. gave me a shot of dilaudid and 10 seconds later I was back to normal breathing and feeling NOTHING. 30 mins later I am in for an ultrasound and CT scan, I had (2) 6mm stones (back to back) in my left ureter and the doctor wanted to let them pass naturally since I was so swollen. I got 30mg Oxy pills to take home which was made me sick as a dog. Couldn't hold down water, couldn't hold down food etc. I was miserable and in pain daily. Finally I went to get in the shower and has the worse burning while peeing, then 2 stones shot out.. INSTANT relief. A few days recovery and I was 100%.

2nd stone came roughly a year and a half later in the middle of the night. I woke up at 3am and instantly knew... I woke my wife up and we were in the ER before the pain got too bad, then the pain ramped in violently when I got hooked up to an IV (it was on the move). Dr. gave me 1 shot of morphin, then 20 mins later a shot of dilaudid, then 20 mins later another shot of morphine and I was still hurting, this one was AWFUL. I was lucky as the ultrasound and CT scan showed this was a single 5mm stone. It passed to my bladder within 1 day and through the dozen hot showers and baths, I was able to get a lot of relief. About 4 days later I was trying to pee and just could NOT go and was having some bladder pain. I got the ER and the nurse asked for a urine sample, I told her I'd try as the pain had subsided a little bit. A few drops came out, then out popped the stone, 3 blood clots (where it cut up my ureter) and 24 ounces of pee. The nurse walked back in as I was finishing and told me she has only seen 1 person fill the urine thing up before..

I have been on 100oz minimum of water a day, no red meat, more greens, no soda or sweet tea and off the fried food. I have dropped 20lbs and feel way better! I usually do at least a few glasses with natural lemon juice in them to help as my urologist recommended it to me.

Hoping NC legalizes medical marijuana and stops pushing all these damn opioids.

I wouldn't pray kidney stones on my worst enemy. It is the worst pain I have been in and I have a high pain tolerance.

teamhypoxia likes this.
  17. Apr 21, 2020 at 6:47 PM
    windsor

windsor Just a guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Homeless in Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Super Duty aka Tundra
    Canopy, fitted seat covers, OBA with self leveling air bags, 100w solar, dual Rhino Rack Pioneer platforms, side & rear LED work/FU lights, CB, cell booster. 7x16 cargo conversion, 3" lift, 7'x6.5' fold down aluminum rear deck.
    Had another one say hello two nights ago. No where even remotely close to my first. Noticable pain on the right flank and the boy on the right is sitting in a vice. Went to urgent care since my doc wasnt in. Told them the issue and that I just wanted to verify what I thought and that there wasnt any other issues. Now, pissing through a screen so they can test it when it says goodbye.

18. Apr 21, 2020 at 6:49 PM
    eon_blue

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    Ughh this makes my groin hurt just thinking about it. Sorry man

19. Apr 26, 2020 at 11:28 AM
    enforcertaco91

enforcertaco91 Well-Known Member

Member:
    West is best !
    Vehicle:
    2024 Tundra Terra (terror) Pro
    PPF Front grill, bumpers and headlights.
    Been a good 5 years now since my first and only stone ... I credit the quitting of soda and upping the daily dose of water.

20. Apr 26, 2020 at 6:42 PM
    eon_blue

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    For me it was making sure I took a good long leak right before bed, and try not drinking anything a half hour before.

At one point I was getting up at 2am like clockwork to piss like a racehorse and eventually got a kidney stone in no time. Holding it for that long is no good on your system

Products Discussed in

To Top