Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

interested in martial arts. advice?

Old 03-07-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
takern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: marine corps
Name: Tanner
takern's Tacoma Gallery
interested in martial arts. advice?

so ive recently been given a lot of spare time and would like to try and get involved in some sort of martial arts. i have no experience at all in any of this but feel like it might be something to learn. I feel like I am in fairly decent shape and want something that will challenge me as well as help me to get even more fit than I am. Is anybody involved with anything and what would you recommend as far as overall fitness as well as mental and physical discipline? Im not too interested in doing the whole UFC thing, just looking for something to keep me entertained and learning new stuff as well as being something I can do for a while that is physically and mentally challenging. So lets hear your thoughts and such
Old 03-07-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
Alpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Ruben
Alpha Q Up's Tacoma Gallery
Tae Bo!

Lol
Old 03-07-2013, 07:51 PM   #4
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
I always thought Aikido was awesome. Seemed like a great defensive technique, but no good instructors around here that I know of.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
there's tons and tons and tons and tons of different styles and whatnot to learn from.
best way would be to take a look at the schools around you. go sit in for a class or two and see what you want to do. dojos/schools usually have a seating area where people can watch what's going on

any martial art will increase mental discipline, but physically people have different tastes on what suits them
Old 03-07-2013, 08:02 PM   #6
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
I would suggest you see what's available in your area and go sit in on some classes and see what peaks your interest. MMA classes are cool because they go over a little of everything (from what I hear, keep meaning to go to my co-workers class but haven't made it yet).
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is fun and a hell of a work out.
I like Judo myself. Lots of fun and also an incredible work out if you find a good place.
Muay Thai is bad@ss.
Krav Maga is cool but I have always had the impression that you should be trained in some kind of dicipline before you take that but I know of a couple people who take just that.
Every martial art has something to offer and I don't think you can go wrong with any one of them really.

EDIT: take too long to type and Kona steals my thunder
Old 03-07-2013, 08:08 PM   #7
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker_troy View Post
I would suggest you see what's available in your area and go sit in on some classes and see what peaks your interest. MMA classes are cool because they go over a little of everything (from what I hear, keep meaning to go to my co-workers class but haven't made it yet).
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is fun and a hell of a work out.
I like Judo myself. Lots of fun and also an incredible work out if you find a good place.
Muay Thai is bad@ss.
Krav Maga is cool but I have always had the impression that you should be trained in some kind of dicipline before you take that but I know of a couple people who take just that.
Every martial art has something to offer and I don't think you can go wrong with any one of them really.

EDIT: take too long to type and Kona steals my thunder
<3

im partial to MMA and traditional Karate
Old 03-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #8
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Krav Maga is bad ass......everything else sucks on the street! It's essentially everything mixed but with speed so you can attack and GTFO!
Old 03-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #9
Tacodog is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodog is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodog is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodog is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodog is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodog is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodog is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodog is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodog is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodog is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: SSG HHC 4/9 6th INF Div Scout Platoon Sgt.
Name: Ron
Tacodog's Tacoma Gallery
This.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
Krav Maga is bad ass......everything else sucks on the street! It's essentially everything mixed but with speed so you can attack and GTFO!
Old 03-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #10
GFY
BigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud of

Name: Big Head
BigHeadTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Rex Kwon Do
Old 03-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #11
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHeadTaco View Post
Rex Kwon Do
Break the wrist, walk away.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
depends on how you practice it.....

I've used things other than krav maga around
Old 03-07-2013, 11:42 PM   #13
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stewartx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by takern View Post
Interested in martial arts. Advice?
Just my standard advice about avoiding those with a gun - yip, yip isn't going to help you all that much.