Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

looking into getting fit

Old 05-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #1
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
looking into getting fit

i'm looking into getting fit, opinions appreciated.
physical specs: 16, 6'3'' and 260 lbs
goals:i want to get my endurance up, my weight down, and my strength up, and get rid of my moobs
quick, intense workouts a few times a week?

i benchpressed some tonight for the first time and i liked it, i also did a curl (?) on the bench and i liked those to, i have a bike to ride but i rarely do as i don't have alot of time.
i also tried a rowing machine and i liked it.
i like to run but i don't like the high impact on my joints.

budget is as cheap as possible, i'l probably get a bench press from goodwill or somewhere for cheap.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:29 PM   #2
iliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
iliketurtles's Tacoma Gallery
You have a bicycle? I rode mine A LOT when I was your age.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:39 PM   #3
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
You have a bicycle? I rode mine A LOT when I was your age.
yeah, a ful suspension mountain bike, i bought it 2 year ago as a birthday present and have never really used it.
i'm gonna be starting college in fall so i'm thinking 3 15-20 minute high intensity workouts a week.
i'm not really into sports so i doubt i'll go find a local team.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #4
2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: chris
2008taco's Tacoma Gallery
work on cardio. Keep your heart rate up 30 mins a day. Weight training isnt going to burn fat as well as this.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:04 PM   #5
Thank you to all our miltary personnel for serving
TyT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTyT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTyT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTyT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTyT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTyT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTyT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTyT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTyT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTyT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTyT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ty
TyT's Tacoma Gallery
diet is everything man its literally 90% diet 10% gym
if your going to go hard as hell in the gym it does you know good to that then eat like shit!
PM if you want I just helped another member on here yesterday so ill be happy to help you too!
Old 05-01-2013, 11:07 PM   #6
2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

^^this too
Old 05-01-2013, 11:20 PM   #7
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008taco View Post
work on cardio. Keep your heart rate up 30 mins a day. Weight training isnt going to burn fat as well as this.
so if i exercised thrice a week, i'd go 2 cardio 1 weight training?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyT View Post
diet is everything man its literally 90% diet 10% gym
if your going to go hard as hell in the gym it does you know good to that then eat like shit!
PM if you want I just helped another member on here yesterday so ill be happy to help you too!
i do juice 2-3 times a month, i should probably do it more often, but my diet probably isn't gonna change to radically, i'll add a few veggies and fruits to lunches and dinners.

thanks, i might.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:22 PM   #8
tn2012taco is on a distinguished road

Name: Nathan
tn2012taco's Tacoma Gallery
Do you play any brass instruments? Best way to get in shape is to do a summer of drum corps.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:23 PM   #9
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn2012taco View Post
Do you play any brass instruments? Best way to get in shape is to do a summer of drum corps.
no sir, the only instrument i play is piano, and that is mostly played by ear.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:23 PM   #10
ThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
ThatGuy18's Tacoma Gallery
You don't have time to ride the bike? You drive everyday, just ride the bike instead of driving.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:24 PM   #11
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy18 View Post
You don't have time to ride the bike? You drive everyday, just ride the bike instead of driving.
i don't drive every day, i have projects that i work on at home, fixing up a 1948 cub, and finishing a storage space in our barn so we can sell our house and move out of state.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:26 PM   #12
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Juice as in...steroids?

I hope not if you've just started lifting! That's a quick road to hurting yourself.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:27 PM   #13
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
Juice as in...steroids?

I hope not if you've just started lifting! That's a quick road to hurting yourself.
no, juice as in putting a apple, carrots, and celery in a juicer and making a drink.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:53 PM   #14

My neighbor and his friend were both about 260 less than a year ago. They disagreed about which way to lose weight was best. One went to the gym everyday, the other walked 3-4 times a week and got on the atkins diet.one has lost 95 pounds, the other 35. Care to guess which one lost the most? The one who dieted lost 95 lbs. <answer.
You're wasting your time without major diet changes. This doesn't mean just eating more fruits and vegetables. These contain A LOT more sugar than you would believe. Juice is even worse as it leaves you with mostly sugar and water and removes a large percent of the other nutrients.

Dieting also doesnt mean suffering. You might be surprised that things like steak, cheese, butter etc, arent that bad for you. Its all about control, and after a week or two it becomes an easy habbit.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:57 PM   #15
Camo23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCamo23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCamo23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCamo23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCamo23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCamo23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCamo23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCamo23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCamo23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCamo23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCamo23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Drew
Camo23's Tacoma Gallery
cardio(as much as you can push yourself without hurting yourself) and diet. once you start losing the weight then lift weights.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:16 AM   #16
Rompin Around
lembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
lembowski's Tacoma Gallery
No radical diet changing are going to happen? Then you don't really want to loose weight. You are age wise a part of the fastfood generation. Unless you have a chemical issue in your body, your diet is what caused you to become so large.

3 high intensity 15-20 minute workouts a week? Can't see you making it 5 to 10 minutes at your size being 16. Start by getting on a treadmill and cycle bursts of high intensity to build up to it.

You like bench, curls and rowing? Then you are doing them wrong. When you row shoot for 500 meters in under 2 minutes. Build up to 1000 meters in under 4 minutes. You won't like it much after that.

It won't be easy, but that's why America is obese.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:15 AM   #17
Turbo Meister
Speed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Speed Freek's Tacoma Gallery
Train for boxing, at first you will be puking a lot if you push yourself, but within 5 months you will be a boss...
Not sure of there are boxing gyms near you, but I boxed for a few years and damn I looked like a statue! A small one, but still...and had cardio for DAYS!
I have been working out most my life and boxing training was the singlemost difficult training I ever had by far.

My .02
Old 05-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #18
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008taco View Post
My neighbor and his friend were both about 260 less than a year ago. They disagreed about which way to lose weight was best. One went to the gym everyday, the other walked 3-4 times a week and got on the atkins diet.one has lost 95 pounds, the other 35. Care to guess which one lost the most? The one who dieted lost 95 lbs. <answer.
You're wasting your time without major diet changes. This doesn't mean just eating more fruits and vegetables. These contain A LOT more sugar than you would believe. Juice is even worse as it leaves you with mostly sugar and water and removes a large percent of the other nutrients.

Dieting also doesnt mean suffering. You might be surprised that things like steak, cheese, butter etc, arent that bad for you. Its all about control, and after a week or two it becomes an easy habbit.
mom and dad used to do dieting, i'm not a fan, i'd rather cut back on what i eat and not change it to much.
i don't like steak, but my big weakness besides chocolate is burgers (especially venison burgers).
my diet before i left on my trip was, breakfast: 2 eggo waffles with creamy PB and a little bit of honey.
lunch: usually a ham sandwich with mayo on one side, 2 slices of ham, and a slice of cheese.
supper: varies widely, almost always something that mom fixes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camo23 View Post
cardio(as much as you can push yourself without hurting yourself) and diet. once you start losing the weight then lift weights.
i talked to my cousin today (she's doing cross fit), and she said that rowing is cardio? i could do rowing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lembowski View Post
No radical diet changing are going to happen? Then you don't really want to loose weight. You are age wise a part of the fastfood generation. Unless you have a chemical issue in your body, your diet is what caused you to become so large.

3 high intensity 15-20 minute workouts a week? Can't see you making it 5 to 10 minutes at your size being 16. Start by getting on a treadmill and cycle bursts of high intensity to build up to it.

You like bench, curls and rowing? Then you are doing them wrong. When you row shoot for 500 meters in under 2 minutes. Build up to 1000 meters in under 4 minutes. You won't like it much after that.

It won't be easy, but that's why America is obese.
not really, i think if i increase my activity level, and decrease my caloric intake i can lose weight, it won't be fast but that isn't the goal.

that's the goal, maybe i won't be able to it that long when i first start, but i'll work up to it.

the reason i liked the bench and curls was i was in competition with a friend to see how many we could do of the different weights, and i think we were doing them right, lay on your back, pick up the bar, bring down to chest, then lift until your elbows lock right?
the curls i did laying down to just bring my hands together over my chest.

the rowing i did right, i was doing 500m in 2:10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Freek View Post
Train for boxing, at first you will be puking a lot if you push yourself, but within 5 months you will be a boss...
Not sure of there are boxing gyms near you, but I boxed for a few years and damn I looked like a statue! A small one, but still...and had cardio for DAYS!
I have been working out most my life and boxing training was the singlemost difficult training I ever had by far.

My .02
i've used a punching bag before, it's fun but i don't like it that much.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #19

Don't lock your elbows, stop just before that. You want as little impact on your joints as possible when especially when yyou have extra weight on them.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #20
Senor Taco
Mademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Mademan925's Tacoma Gallery
Try a low carb diet, meats and veggies. You will lose alot more wieght in 30 minutes of an intense workout then a 2 hour bike ride. You could do thirty minutes of uphill mountain biking one day and do wieghts and abs the next. When doing wieghts and abs try not to take breaks. go from one intense activity to the next keeping your heart rate up. 2 weeks of this and you will see results. I promise.