1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Do I have a Hernia? (Serious Question)

Discussion in 'Health' started by tacomathunder, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Jun 13, 2013 at 10:50 PM
    NW4RUNNER

NW4RUNNER Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4 runner trail
    21 is pretty young for Diverticulitis

If it is indeed a hernia peri umbilical or through anywhere in anterior abdominal wall, ie- not through inguinal ligament and you do feel a very palpable bulge, you wont do any harm pushing it back in. This is the immediate clinical treatment anyways.

You likely wont do any harm waiting a few days with Ice and NSAIDS, ie ibuprofen. A Torn muscle will feel burning with swelling. A hernia is a quite simple clinical diagnosis that can be easily palpated by your dr. Schedule an apt with your primary care doc. Not much else comes to mind for differential diagnosis. Appendicitis or general perotinitis you will feel pretty sick, ie fever chills, nausea, vomiting. Its musculoskeletal if you feel acute swelling in abdominal wall. Again, I would wait a few days until swelling subsides and you can really feel around. Any continuous bulge or palpable defect schedule primary care doc.

2. Jun 14, 2013 at 12:50 PM
    tacomathunder

tacomathunder [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    pop-a-lock on tailgate, tailgate damper by ez down, extang platinum snap tonneau cover, rampage LED light bar, etrailer wiring harness, black led tail lights, tsi clutter catcher center console, griffin itrip ipod player,BHLM,35W DDM Tuning hid's 5000K, Day Time Running Light Mod, New Sony Stereo
    so i just got back from my hospital, the pain got worse this morning, so i called my dad and he took me...they did an MRI and they told me its not a hernia, but a partially torn lower abdominal muscle... he called it oblique or something like that, so all i can do is take it easy, said the surgery would be more evasive then if i just let it heal....the bulge i felt was sever swelling and building of fluids over the muscle apparently.... so i just have to take over the counter pain pills and not do anything strenuous.... wanted to thank you guys for all the help and thoughts on what it might be

3. Jun 14, 2013 at 1:21 PM
    NW4RUNNER

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4 runner trail
    Sounds about right ;) 3 layers of abdominal muscle oblique layer is one. Surgery would certainly be more "invasive." Abdominal tears hurt bad- take it easy

4. Jun 14, 2013 at 1:37 PM
    tacomathunder

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    pop-a-lock on tailgate, tailgate damper by ez down, extang platinum snap tonneau cover, rampage LED light bar, etrailer wiring harness, black led tail lights, tsi clutter catcher center console, griffin itrip ipod player,BHLM,35W DDM Tuning hid's 5000K, Day Time Running Light Mod, New Sony Stereo
    Yeah this morning I could barely move... It really sucked to move at all lol...ibuprofen helps dull the pain so I'm not feeling like a knife in me, more like a bad stomach ache

5. Jun 14, 2013 at 2:10 PM
    thairannosaurus

thairannosaurus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD Pro
    AC drain mod, interior lights, tonneau cover, avid light bar, N2 remote start, power tailgate lock
    weird to say but glad it's only a muscle tear, haha. at least you got closure too. resting and taking it easy with OTC meds is a lot better than any surgery, minor or not.

yeah, they got me on "last minute" stuff. i was told by one doctor the bulge was a cyst (was actually the hernia) and not to worry about it. so i actually had my "cyst" (hernia) for well over a year and thought nothing of it then it started hurting real bad one day and the doctor couldn't figure out why so he referred me to a urologist that confirmed it was a hernia and a bad one at that. kept hurting, had to get surgery within the week. the surgery itself was pretty costly, throw in the price for surgeon, anesthesiologist, hospital costs, recovery there, what should've been minor surgery turned into having to repair the weak spot with mesh, the pain pump they had in me that pumped pain med into the surgery location for the week or so after surgery, medication then the check ups and what not. i might've been exaggerating a bit about 100k but it was still close to about 80k after all was said and done. but yeah, us healthcare... leaves something to be desired. gf had kidney stones once and the emergency room cost alone was 1500 (on top of tests), if the kidney stone was considerate and waited till the day it might've only cost a couple hundred haha. the sad part is she paid 1500 for an "emergency" and was still sitting there crying for about 3 hours before she was seen when there may have only been 4 people there before us.

6. Jun 14, 2013 at 3:28 PM
    NW4RUNNER

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4 runner trail
    The kids MRI alone was likely over 5 grand plus doctor visit and radiology read fee. MRI cost a ton

7. Jun 14, 2013 at 8:48 PM
    tacomathunder

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    we'll see what the bill says :eek: lol

8. Jun 14, 2013 at 9:10 PM
    detnight

detnight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Texas City ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    Texas Edtion Sport Super White
    Bed cover, Borla exhaust,20in wheels The TEXAS edition
    I wish my insurance deductible was only $100.....my deductible $1500 and my doctor told me Monday that I have a Hernia. The good part is i have $1800 in my reimbursement acct.

9. Jun 14, 2013 at 9:54 PM
    NW4RUNNER

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4 runner trail
    Depends on your insurance but the price tag before paid is gonna be a lot

Products Discussed in

To Top