LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

Motion Sickness

Old 08-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #1
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Motion Sickness

Anyone here get really bad motion sickness? I am planning on seeing my doctor, as I can usually make myself sick on just short car rides, let alone riding passenger with someone else, and if I'm in the back seat it's almost instant nausea. It sucks because I hate flying, going on boats, and going for road trips, fuck, I can even get sick from some YouTube videos. So what do you guys do or use for medication to treat motion suck-ness?
Old 08-24-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
I think I'm getting the Fear.
MY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53-E Crewchief/Mechanic, HMH-464
Name: Mojo
MY50cal's Tacoma Gallery
First off, I say see the doc.

My girlfriend gets motion sickness real easy if she is not the one in control.

She takes dramamine before any type of travel lasting more than 30mins. It does the trick but also causes drowsiness. She has tried the non drowsy, say's it works ok but still makes her feel a little drugged.

The odd part is she loves roller coasters, just as much as I do and they don't seem to affect her motion sickness.

Good luck man!
Old 08-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #3
Pretty good at drinkin beer!
TaKoToy is a splendid one to beholdTaKoToy is a splendid one to beholdTaKoToy is a splendid one to beholdTaKoToy is a splendid one to beholdTaKoToy is a splendid one to beholdTaKoToy is a splendid one to beholdTaKoToy is a splendid one to behold

Name: Rob
TaKoToy's Tacoma Gallery
I saw some guys using some patch behind the ear last time I fished offshore. Not sure what it was.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY50cal View Post
First off, I say see the doc.

My girlfriend gets motion sickness real easy if she is not the one in control.

She takes dramamine before any type of travel lasting more than 30mins. It does the trick but also causes drowsiness. She has tried the non drowsy, say's it works ok but still makes her feel a little drugged.

The odd part is she loves roller coasters, just as much as I do and they don't seem to affect her motion sickness.

Good luck man!
Yea, and I read a lot about these pills and meds making you drowsy, etc. I really CAN'T take a medication that effects me like that due to my job. In this case, I may just have to live with it, but I'm really hoping there is some solution out there... Because this sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaKoToy View Post
I saw some guys using some patch behind the ear last time I fished offshore. Not sure what it was.
Yeah, I've heard of the patch, but a lot of people report blurred vision and also that it makes you drowsy...
Old 08-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
MY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MY50cal's Tacoma Gallery
What about the wrist bands? Like the ones with earth magnets. Worth trying anything if it's affecting your quality of life.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:49 PM   #7
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650H1 View Post
Yeah, I've heard of the patch, but a lot of people report blurred vision and also that it makes you drowsy...
Scopalamine, and yes, like Dramamine and any other motion-sickness drug, it causes drowsiness and impaired judgement.
Quote:
What about the wrist bands? Like the ones with earth magnets. Worth trying anything if it's affecting your quality of life.
Psychosomatic. Simply a placebo effect. Magnets and acupressure wrist bands do nothing.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:00 PM   #8
BostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
BostonBilly's Tacoma Gallery
I disagree that they do nothing. If it is a placebo but still helps you get thru it how can you say it does nothing
Old 08-24-2013, 05:06 PM   #9

MY50cal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Scopalamine, and yes, like Dramamine and any other motion-sickness drug, it causes drowsiness and impaired judgement.

Psychosomatic. Simply a placebo effect. Magnets and acupressure wrist bands do nothing.
^

Placebo or not, if it works, it works.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:07 PM   #10
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBilly View Post
I disagree that they do nothing. If it is a placebo but still helps you get thru it how can you say it does nothing
I know a bunch of people who indicate that they work. I also know a bunch of people for which they do nothing. Also talked to people who claimed that sometimes they work, and sometimes they don't. The real answer is that sometimes people get ill, sometimes they don't. I get ill on the way out once we pass Catalina about half the time, but I'm fine all the way back in a following sea.

You tend to talk to a lot of people with motion sickness issues when involved in scuba diving and deep-sea fishing. Drugs are a no-go for divers.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:11 PM   #11
40 year old teenager
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Name: Chris
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It sucks because I hate flying, going on boats.....
I have this issue also.....especially if I'm in the back of the plane or larger boats. Nothing has really helped & alcohol seems to make it worse.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:05 PM   #12
00TechGrad is on a distinguished road
00TechGrad's Tacoma Gallery
A friend of mine suffered for years until she was on a cruise. She had an acupuncture session and the technician said he could help with motion sickness. Since that session nearly two years ago, she has not had any motion sickness - and she used to feel ill just riding down the interstate.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:11 PM   #13

650H1's Tacoma Gallery
hmm so every motion sickness medication makes you feel like shit?
Old 09-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #14
ALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Senior Airman
Name: Andrew
ALawrence's Tacoma Gallery
So I was a flight engineer student on the E3 sentry for about a year 68 flying hours... At least 50 take off and landings...

So I threw up in the flight deck once.. Went to see the aerospace physiologist... So alot of its mental... I went and saw him said I it happens again come back. Didn't happen again...

But what they have is this chair. Think an office chair that spins with like a hoop around it... Only the Air Force probably paid a couple thousand dollars for it. Well like every day you go sit in the chair and spin untill your about to get sick.. And you keep on doing it untill you don't get sick... Pretty much conditioning your body... There are some other things they do too... Don't really remember...

Drink plenty of water. I would keep peanuts butter and jelly sandwiches in my bag was told that the sugar and salt would ease your nausea. Try drinking ginger ale.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALawrence View Post
to get sick.. And you keep on doing it untill you don't get sick... Pretty much conditioning your body... There are some other things they do too... Don't really remember...
My body reacted the other way.

I NEVER used to get seasick until after going to Disneyland and my buddy spun the crap out of the teacups.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:57 PM   #16
machineman89 is on a distinguished road

Name: Matthew
machineman89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
My body reacted the other way.

I NEVER used to get seasick until after going to Disneyland and my buddy spun the crap out of the teacups.
Shoulda puked on him.... he'd prolly never do that again....
Old 09-02-2013, 09:02 PM   #17
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
I have been fighting Vertigo for years, it SUCKS!!!
Old 09-02-2013, 09:07 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by machineman89 View Post
Shoulda puked on him.... he'd prolly never do that again....
He only had to do it once.

Man... we were really spinning. Even the guy at the controls on the mic commented on us a few times. I felt like I had just gone through the centrifuge at NASA.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:13 PM   #19
Faster than a speeding ticket
Watari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Watari06V6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
hmm so every motion sickness medication makes you feel like shit?

i swear it works, well at least for me... brought it with me everytime we go fishin off Catalina
Old 09-02-2013, 09:33 PM   #20
"... Intercepting The Localizer"
File IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

File IFR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So what do you guys do or use for medication to treat motion suck-ness?

As a passenger, have you tried to just focus on what is outside and far away?... I can almost guarantee you won't get sick. I'm not shitting you.

When I flew smaller planes years ago, I would tell an uneasy passenger to do this and it seems 90% of the time it worked.

Cleaning up nuggety chum from an airplane's friggin' carpeting absolutely sucks. . Nearly every plane out there has 'sic-sac' bags too, but some miss the bag.