1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

stroke victim refusing hospital

Discussion in 'Health' started by Bennett707, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Nov 24, 2013 at 5:34 PM
    Bennett707

Bennett707 [OP] Station707

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    No more taco life for me
    Just got word my gpa had a stroke and is refusing to go to doctor. Possible 3 days ago. He isn't making any sense on the phone.

Any one know if there is a way to get an ambulance to pick him up as he isn't in his right mind. He told them no last time and so they left

2. Nov 24, 2013 at 8:28 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Is this your grandpa?

If yes:
    Who told you about the stroke? Is it a family member?

Do you live in the same area? Sounds like its time for a family reunion to his house and literally pick him up and get him in the ambulance. Or...If having some serious family PUSHING and have the entire family drive him there.

3. Nov 24, 2013 at 8:29 PM
    LAoffroadin

LAoffroadin BURY ME WITH MY TACO!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2012 offroad 4x4
    ICON stage 5 coilers w/ ICON ucas, dakar leaf pack with Fox rears, k&n cai, LED cab light, raceline 16 inch wheels , toyo m/t 33",painted front yota emblem gloss white, retrofit headlights with mirrimoto 3 " lenses running the 6k headlights. Bhlm, bestopper, wet okole seat covers (max 4), weather tech mats,winch with piaa fogs. All pro apex front bumper. Sliders etc
    hospital is a must ...

4. Nov 24, 2013 at 8:30 PM
    Bennett707

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    No more taco life for me
    his wife called us today... 3 days late... anyhow, he lives about 6 hours out. plans to drive out and try to get him to go. hospital won't treat him without his consent same with ambulance wont, he was able to answer the questions they asked just enough

5. Nov 24, 2013 at 8:41 PM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    I'd hate to be in your position. How old is he? How's his health otherwise? Does he have an advance directive or does he have anything in place that describes what, if any, treatment he wants in the event he is unable to decide for himself? Without something in place, I would guess there is some method using diminished capacity to get it done but, I'm really not sure man if it's from a legal (court side) or medical side.

6. Nov 24, 2013 at 8:45 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Perhaps the wife.....is reaching out to you and the family for some help!!

Stubborn old man won't listen to his wife!! (imagine that??)

7. Nov 24, 2013 at 8:47 PM
    Bennett707

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    No more taco life for me
    65-70. He has always went to the hospital for other issues, he couldn't comprehend things and would loop off onto different subjects while he was on the phone w/ my pops. We called his local first response and the sherrif said he questioned him and agreed he had a stroke but he was able to answer questions and refused to go to hospital, so they couldn't take him.

best shot now is just trying to get him to go in person. thanks for the replies, been a busy night.

8. Nov 24, 2013 at 8:54 PM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    Good luck man. I'm guessing if the local police visited him and decided he understood what was going on, it's going to tough to get him any treatment man.

Again, good luck.

9. Nov 24, 2013 at 9:08 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    So, the sheriff agreed he had a stroke.....and wouldn't take him?

WTF?

Thanks Sheriff. :rolleyes:

10. Nov 24, 2013 at 9:11 PM
    Alpha Q Up

Alpha Q Up Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ruben
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    2003 4WD DC Tacoma
    What makes you think he had a stroke?

For Stroke victims there is a 4-6 hour window From the last time they were seen "normal". (depending on county protocols) The window is vital in that the patient can be helped significantly to prevent any permanent damage. But unfortunately after the window closes the damage (if any) that occurred is permanent and there is nothing an ED (ER) can do. (so no reason to go by ambulance)

The best thing to do is to have him see his doctor. There should be some medications and rehabilitation that can help him.

11. Nov 24, 2013 at 9:20 PM
    jr114

jr114 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Truck
    Icon Ext travel CO, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Maxtrac Spindles, Icon RR rear w 2"aal.
    The thing is EMS can not force anyone to go. If a patient is able to answer questions appropriately in our presence we can not make them go no matter the circumstance. It would be considered kidnapping. He would have also had to sign a form, against medical advice, stating that he knew and accepted the risks of not receiving treatment. Now, if he is confused now or unable to answer appropriately, EMS can take him without his consent ( at least where I work). And just as someone posted above, unfortunately there is a 4-6 hour window from onset of symptoms to receive treatment. He definitely needs an eval, but it may be best to have family get him into a car and drive him to the hospital. In an unfortunate situation I know many people, including myself wish you and your family the best and hope for a favorable outcome.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  12. Nov 24, 2013 at 9:28 PM
    Alpha Q Up

Alpha Q Up Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ruben
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    2003 4WD DC Tacoma
    +1

13. Nov 24, 2013 at 10:01 PM
    NW4RUNNER

NW4RUNNER Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4 runner trail
    Advanced directive or power of attorney. If neither has been established and his mental capacity has deteriorated so badly he will likely have to go through a mental capacity test. If he fails, care options will likely be with family members. This is assuming he is stable enough to swallow and breathe on his own.

14. Nov 24, 2013 at 10:27 PM
    Hank4444

Hank4444 Member...?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Daphne
    Vehicle:
    09 Sport DCSB
    Dog-Proofed Rear seat, 5100's, Rear TSB, Tranny TSB, Fog light mod, map light mod, DTRL mod, Volant CAI with ram air, UltraGauge, Blacked out emblems, extra D-rings, Bedlined front valance, Satoshi, Hella 500ff 55w HID, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Leather arm rests, Weathertechs, Hankook Dynapro ATM, Oil catch can, URD MAF Calibrator, Wheelers HD AAL, Thule Roof Rack, OME 885x with Lean Spacer, RedLine Hood struts, Access LE Tonneau, LED Bedrail lights,
    +1

We always shoot for a three hour window, but current studies has shown 4.5 hrs to acceptable. And confused or absence of normal (baseline) cognitive status can warrant an EMS ride. I believe they used the MMSE back home in the field for a quick cognitive exam. The immediate family makes that call. But, like you stated he can refuse. Best thing for your situation is to call his regular doctor (someone he trusts) and schedule an immediate appointment. Because he needs a CT scan like 3 days ago. Plus you don't know if he hit his head and has a slow leaking head bleed. If he is on blood thinners then that makes it even more dangerous. Good luck man.

PM if you have any questions.

15. Nov 25, 2013 at 12:48 AM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    I'm sorry to hear that man my grandpa died 5 years ago and he suffered a stroke but that was what finally got him. I would say tell your grandpa to get his ass to the hospital and do try to set up a power of attorney for him if he is gone mentally.

16. Nov 26, 2013 at 10:40 PM
    GreatBasinTaco

GreatBasinTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra DC
    Lots of stuff

True, except under certain circumstances such as: he cannot appropriately care for himself and his wife does not feel that she can adequately care for him. The local area physician may also be able to assist in persuading him to seek tx if contacted. This is all assuming that there are no advanced directives/ DNR, but several days in this is beyond emergent live saving efforts and moves into a quality of life situation.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  17. Nov 27, 2013 at 5:38 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    There's always a work around to 'a refusal'

For the OP: Not that I openly share this type of information - but - It's a story of 'dealing' with a similar situation kinda.

My own father-in-law never had a stroke, but he either had onset of Alzheimers or schizophrenia. I don't know the details closely - but he refused to see a doctor as well. Try telling (accusing) a grown man of hearing voices and seeing things. In his mind.....there's absolutely nothing wrong.

Somehow, with the help of family....He went to the doctor and the doctor submitted him to a mental hospital. After a week (and medications), they rendered him safe to come home.

After some time of being back home - he still wasn't 'right' and they found out he stopped taking his meds. Back-n-forth in & out of doctor visits and the medical community rendering him SAFE. The really really really bad thing.....
    They rendered him SAFE to go back to work. And of course, he loved his job as a security officer and was happy to go back to work.
    The family did not feel 'warm & fuzzy* about him going back to work.

Unfortunately - he had access to firearms and decided to take his own life (this was about 5 years ago).

Whether or not he knew this originally or he became to understand his own problem. But, we believe he was struggling with himself and those voices and the only way to rid himself of the voices, was to end it all. He was the type of man who never wanted to inconvenience his family for him.

So yeah, its a mental struggle for both family and patient. Even after pushing the issue .... You wished you could've done more.

18. Nov 27, 2013 at 5:43 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Since it sounds like he's outside of the window for treatment, what about having someone come to the house to evaluate him? Is he against the hospital or doctors in general. Doing the evaluation in his own home might make him more comfortable to where he'll allow it and the family would have the piece of mind of having him checked out.

19. Nov 27, 2013 at 6:11 AM
    jake72

jake72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    N.E. PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd off-road dcsb mt
    take him to his regular doctor, tell him he has a normal checkup.

20. Nov 27, 2013 at 6:14 AM
    richardbui23

richardbui23 That guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Arlington Texas
    Vehicle:
    Stacy
    slip him a roofie

Products Discussed in

To Top