Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

carpal tunnel from manual transmission?!?!

Old 12-29-2013, 04:14 AM   #1
flatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flatblack's Tacoma Gallery
carpal tunnel from manual transmission?!?!

well... I did a bunch of wheeling, which required a bunch of shifting, not too long ago
the next day I was getting pretty bad wrist pain; something like carpal tunnel, when I compare the symptoms
it's been a couple of weeks since, and I still have it mildly

I shift like anyone else (I would assume); doesn't seem like there's too much wrist/finger stress involved, compared to the rest of the arm/shoulder
doesn't seem to me like it would cause it; but, I just can't think of anything else that would be the culprit; and it happened right after
anyone else ever have this or hear about it happening?
or do you think it's complete coincidence?
Old 12-29-2013, 04:56 AM   #2
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
No. Penthouse magazine gave me carpal tunnel, though.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:57 AM   #3
flatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rough
Old 12-29-2013, 05:09 AM   #4
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
I used to get something similar from the repetitive action of shoveling snow in the winter. Wasn't in my wrist as much as my right forearm. It was slight muscle strain. I cured it with a Velcro band I picked up in the sporting goods section at Wally World. The band just went around my forearm and held the muscles tight. Usually wore it for a couple weeks on and off until the muscles healed. You might try something similar for your wrist. I would think there is some kind of glove like or wrist band device to serve the same purpose.

Haven't had the problem since I upgraded from the shovel to a snowblower.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:11 AM   #5

^^ Thanks, man
I Should probably look into something like that
Old 12-29-2013, 05:13 AM   #6
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatblack View Post
^^ Thanks, man
I Should probably look into something like that
Old 12-29-2013, 08:05 AM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
It's NOT carpel tunnel. Carpel tunnel is when you get tingling in your fingers that will keep you awake at night. Never had it myself, but I've worked in a factory around lots of people who have had surgeries for it. The factory goes thru great lengths to make things ergonomically correct to prevent it. Carpel tunnel is NOT something that pops up overnight.

You're just sore from 'over-using' your wrists the day before. Take some aleve or ibuprofen for a couple days and it should be gone in a week or so (or even days).
When you get older, ibuprofen is your friend.

I've had issues with wrist pain - especially when I bend my wrist downward. It ended up being a 'cist' (fluid filled sak) within my tendons at the topside of my hand. It was small enough that I couldn't see it....but...WHACK, and its gone (like the old days). Check this out - and this cist is HUGE.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyOwBqn-mbY
Old 12-29-2013, 08:40 AM   #8
40 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
IMO you were more than likely gripping the shifter with a death grip or poss you got a stinger from a steering wheel twist. Excited and working hard will make u ramp up your grip.
I find I have to make myself relax my hands on my bike on the highway as I start getting a death grip on the bars. Not because I'm in trouble or nervous I'm just ramped up enjoying the moment.
I never grip the shifter during normal driving.
Maybe a different technique or hand position.
Driving a std. Plow truck for 12 hours at a time , I never had this issue. I would just be conscious of what your doing and see if you notice.

Do some stretching and some over the counter stuff.