1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What do you do for exercise?

Discussion in 'Health' started by Lespaulkid01, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Jan 29, 2014 at 5:43 PM
    Lespaulkid01

Lespaulkid01 [OP] I prefer the term "beer researcher".

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    MoCo, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2013 Double Cab TRD Sport, Pyrite Mica
    tool chest, vent visors, tuffy bed box, scangauge, Bilstein 5100's, OME 885x springs, Wheeler's HD AAL, LED map, dome, and reverse lights, Bestop Supertop.
    What do you all do for exercise, besides lifting/running?

Little back story on where I am: Back in high school (graduated in '08) I played hockey and ran track and was in great physical condition. I was about 6'0" and weighed in around 175-180 depending on the day. I was technically a little under weight, but despite eating whatever the hell I wanted and drinking Boost protein shakes daily, I would never gain any weight because of my high metabolism and 20+ hours of physical activity per week. While in college, all of that changed pretty quickly. I was at school for engineering, and between classes, homework, extra-curricular groups, and work, I never really had much free time. I really didn't have any physical activity besides walking to and from class and the occasional run or hike on the weekend, and gained ~65 lbs in 5 years (weighed about 245 at 6'1" upon graduation).

I started a new job in June, and working as a consulting engineer, I do a lot of walking around construction sites, up and down stairs, etc. My weight now is pretty stagnant around 225-230. I've finally had enough of never having energy, being flabby, and in general just being in horrible physical condition. My problem is that I HATE going to the gym, and after running track I have chronic shin splints/a partially torn miniscus in my knee that gets irritated from the repetitve driving motion so I don't run much anymore. I'd rather get exercise through playing a sport and doing something than going to the gym. I'd love to be able to play hockey again but my work schedule is extremely variable (I have literally worked 45 and 70 hour weeks back to back) and adult leagues around here are a little too pricey for me. I've been thinking about joining the rock climbing gym not to far from me, since I have been there multiple times with day passes and love it, but I still have some reservations and have to about it some more. I plan on starting to go on more hikes and such when it warms up since I love everything about being outdoors.

I also know that my diet HAS to change if I want to see any real results at all. It takes me a little while to adapt to drastic changes in diet, so I've been slowly cutting more and more unhealthy things out for the past few months. Started with cutting out fast food, don't drink as much beer (although I REALLY like beer so I doubt that will every completely stop), have majorly cut back on soda and plan on cutting it out all together here soon, and have been trying to keep a pretty solid high protein, low sugar diet going.

So, back to my original question, what do you all do for exercise besides lifting and running? I need to find something I enjoy and actually want to do. :(

2. Jan 29, 2014 at 6:04 PM
    Rickoutdoors

Rickoutdoors Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Montreal,Qc,Canada
    heated mirrors, lighted cup holders, backup lights, backflip cover, box lights, raised diff breather, solenoid tailgate lock, flashlight holder,
    Hi. I swim 3x/wk about 6ks total with an hour of cross fit. Watch the snack foods, cut back on bread. Eat off smaller plates, and stop eating before you feel full. Eat often and smaller portions.....Good luck

3. Jan 29, 2014 at 6:06 PM
    Lindsey Walrod

Lindsey Walrod Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lindsey
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '13 black beauty

Products Discussed in

To Top