Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

My wife wants to lose some weight. I need help

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-28-2014, 04:02 PM   #41
Senior Member
Boone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Boone Taco's Avatar
Name: Chris
Joined: Jul 2012, #82731
Location: Boone, NC
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,139
Boone Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5280Transplant View Post
There is a lot of seriously junk science going on in this thread. I have lost a substantial amount of weight (and am still going) not because I am doing cardio, not because I am whole wheat, gluten free, or spend my life in the gym.

The best advice is to find your Basil Metabolic Rate, subtract 500 calories from that and restrict your calories like crazy. As you loose weight, continue to calculate your BMR. Technically, it doesn't matter what type of food you eat for loosing weight, but loosing weight and eating healthy aren't necessarily exclusive. You can still loose weight and not be healthy. In a perfect world, we would all eat healthy food all the time, but I was realistic with my goals. If you simply restrict your calories, you will lose weight. I mixed in weight training to speed up the process because it burns much more calories than cardio.

I would advice against taking advice from people on a truck website. Go here for quality advice from people who have actually lost weight: http://www.reddit.com/r/loseit/
What the hell is loosing weight?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerrilla View Post
The first statement you make is, there's a lot of seriously junk science going on in this thread.. Then go on to advise against taking advice from people on a truck website, then direct him to reddit for "quality advice" from people who have actually lost weight.
Be more specific on the junk science advice posts that have been given in this thread. Also please fill me in on what makes the people on reddit full of quality input compared to us on Tacomaworld.
X2
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:14 PM   #42
Senior Member
5280Transplant is one of the sharper tools in the shed5280Transplant is one of the sharper tools in the shed5280Transplant is one of the sharper tools in the shed5280Transplant is one of the sharper tools in the shed5280Transplant is one of the sharper tools in the shed5280Transplant is one of the sharper tools in the shed5280Transplant is one of the sharper tools in the shed5280Transplant is one of the sharper tools in the shed5280Transplant is one of the sharper tools in the shed5280Transplant is one of the sharper tools in the shed5280Transplant is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Luke
Joined: Jul 2013, #108564
Location: NoVA by way of CO
Gender: Male
Posts: 351
5280Transplant's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerrilla View Post
The first statement you make is, there's a lot of seriously junk science going on in this thread.. Then go on to advise against taking advice from people on a truck website, then direct him to reddit for "quality advice" from people who have actually lost weight.
Be more specific on the junk science advice posts that have been given in this thread. Also please fill me in on what makes the people on reddit full of quality input compared to us on Tacomaworld.
Junk science = taking a magic pill or taking any other short cut will make you lose weight.

I certainly am not saying no one on here knows what they are talking about, but maybe he should go to a forum dedicated to loosing weight? You wouldn't go to an FJ forum for advice on your Tacoma, why do that with weight loss?

I should have prefaced that by saying this is what worked for me. The community on Reddit was particularly helpful to me because you can see results from people who have been in similar situations and get instant feedback from people who can prove their results. I'd love to hear why you think the actual advice I gave was wrong though. Perhaps you do know of some magical pills?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:15 PM   #43
Senior Member
5280Transplant is one of the sharper tools in the shed5280Transplant is one of the sharper tools in the shed5280Transplant is one of the sharper tools in the shed5280Transplant is one of the sharper tools in the shed5280Transplant is one of the sharper tools in the shed5280Transplant is one of the sharper tools in the shed5280Transplant is one of the sharper tools in the shed5280Transplant is one of the sharper tools in the shed5280Transplant is one of the sharper tools in the shed5280Transplant is one of the sharper tools in the shed5280Transplant is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Luke
Joined: Jul 2013, #108564
Location: NoVA by way of CO
Gender: Male
Posts: 351
5280Transplant's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Taco View Post
What the hell is loosing weight?

X2
*Losing. Thanks for pointing that out?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:55 PM   #44
Smurf it.
Guerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Guerrilla's Avatar
Navy:
Name: 00
Joined: Apr 2013, #102807
Location: Babylon
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,355
Guerrilla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5280Transplant View Post
Junk science = taking a magic pill or taking any other short cut will make you lose weight.

I certainly am not saying no one on here knows what they are talking about, but maybe he should go to a forum dedicated to loosing weight? You wouldn't go to an FJ forum for advice on your Tacoma, why do that with weight loss?

I should have prefaced that by saying this is what worked for me. The community on Reddit was particularly helpful to me because you can see results from people who have been in similar situations and get instant feedback from people who can prove their results. I'd love to hear why you think the actual advice I gave was wrong though. Perhaps you do know of some magical pills?
*Losing.

First things first, I didn't say anything about your "actual advice" being wrong. I'd agree if you cut caloric intake, eventually you will drop some pounds, if you're not carefull and do it right tho, you'll drop muscle too. But I would do it by eating clean and not junk food etc. And yes weights, see some of my prior posts, I mentioned that.

The site thing. Maybe he feels comfortable posting questions here, there's many different categories on here in the off topic section. And I'm not really familiar with reddit, but I didn't think it was a site just for weight loss. But if it helped you good, maybe he can find some help too. Whatever helps people get where they wana be is good for me. As for me, over the years I've put a lot of time into learning about fitness related things and training a lot. I'm 5'7" 175 and stay about 6% body fat year round sometimes less. But I have my spells like everybody, when I'm not as in shape as I was months before etc. Personal trainers, Doctors, and Surgeons etc come up to me, apparently because they think I'm in decent shape and ask for pointers or advice on getting into better shape. I feel like I have some decent advice to give to "try" to help people, but I don't know everything. Neither do Doctors etc.

The supplements/pills I mentioned are some of the top ones, concerning the topic. Maybe you should look them up. There's definetly no magic pill. Nothing will substitute proper training, food intake, sticking with it, when it comes to getting your body where you want it.

There's a lot to try and learn about fitness, be it bodybuilding, losing weight or whatever. What works for one might not the other.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:12 PM   #45
Senior Member
5280Transplant is one of the sharper tools in the shed5280Transplant is one of the sharper tools in the shed5280Transplant is one of the sharper tools in the shed5280Transplant is one of the sharper tools in the shed5280Transplant is one of the sharper tools in the shed5280Transplant is one of the sharper tools in the shed5280Transplant is one of the sharper tools in the shed5280Transplant is one of the sharper tools in the shed5280Transplant is one of the sharper tools in the shed5280Transplant is one of the sharper tools in the shed5280Transplant is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Luke
Joined: Jul 2013, #108564
Location: NoVA by way of CO
Gender: Male
Posts: 351
5280Transplant's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerrilla View Post
*Losing.



First things first, I didn't say anything about your "actual advice" being wrong. I'd agree if you cut caloric intake, eventually you will drop some pounds, if you're not carefull and do it right tho, you'll drop muscle too. But I would do it by eating clean and not junk food etc. And yes weights, see some of my prior posts, I mentioned that.



The site thing. Maybe he feels comfortable posting questions here, there's many different categories on here in the off topic section. And I'm not really familiar with reddit, but I didn't think it was a site just for weight loss. But if it helped you good, maybe he can find some help too. Whatever helps people get where they wana be is good for me. As for me, over the years I've put a lot of time into learning about fitness related things and training a lot. I'm 5'7" 175 and stay about 6% body fat year round sometimes less. But I have my spells like everybody, when I'm not as in shape as I was months before etc. Personal trainers, Doctors, and Surgeons etc come up to me, apparently because they think I'm in decent shape and ask for pointers or advice on getting into better shape. I feel like I have some decent advice to give to "try" to help people, but I don't know everything. Neither do Doctors etc.



The supplements/pills I mentioned are some of the top ones, concerning the topic. Maybe you should look them up. There's definetly no magic pill. Nothing will substitute proper training, food intake, sticking with it, when it comes to getting your body where you want it.



There's a lot to try and learn about fitness, be it bodybuilding, losing weight or whatever. What works for one might not the other.

I think I should clear this up, I wasn't talking about your posts being junk science, I wasn't talking about supplements being magic pills. I actually take fish oil, I don't take burners, but I used to take pre workout and protein. I don't consider those magic pills because you still have to work to get benefits.

Like I said in my original post, losing weight does not necessarily mean you are healthy. I think a nutritionist is a great option if you can afford it, I can't, so I turn to the collective knowledge of an entire forum on reddit dedicated to loosing weight. That is why I mentioned it. There are actually several dietary professionals that post there often.

It's an emotion subject for anyone who has been fat before, myself included. I definitely understand how OP's wife feels. All I wanted to do is help OP avoid some of the things I know won't help. Keeping morale is 99% of weight loss (in my experience) I would be upset if she followed someone's advice and gave up when it failed her, that is why I felt compelled to respond.

I'll leave it at that because this thread was meant to help, not settle stupid squabbles.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:17 PM   #46
Newborn
taco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
taco47001's Avatar
Law Enforcement: High Speed, Low Drag
Joined: May 2012, #78644
Location: Aurora, IN
Gender: Dude
Posts: 1,677
taco47001's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna tacoma View Post
So my wife has been saying for awhile that she wants to lose some weight she is tired of her clothes being too tight. She talked about it and talked about it so I start working out at home thinking that it might give her some motivation. We've both dl'ed the myfitness app on our iphones. I keep up with mine everyday, but I think she gets frustrated b/c the app is telling her she can't have but like 1,200 or at the max 1,500 calories (if I remember right). This morning is was in a raging mood and I was like whats wrong? she says she wants to lose some weight, but don't know how. So guys/gals I need your help in getting something started for her. Is there a supplement she can take? She has been reading about green coffee been extract. I don't know much about weight loss b/c I've always been on the smaller to medium size and I've been just watching what I eat and not eating as much. She said its so expensive, I said well we will worry about that later, you just have to set a goal and work towards it. I know I'm gonna need a meal plan too for a week so we can prepare meals at home. Sorry this is so long. I need your help steering her in the right direction.
Do a bit of research on "Advocare" My wife is a sales rep and it's a great product. I actually did the 24 day challenge and while it's challenging, sticking with the plan pays dividends. I lost 16lbs and 4% body fat in 24 days. The first col days are torture mainly because of portion control and diet change but well worth it and it helps you transition to a healthier diet all together. Check it out man. If you're interested, my wife can get you a killer deal on the stuff too.

Edit: I increased my physical activity and workouts at the start of the challenge as well. It's true, there is no magic pill. It's all about diet and excercise.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:26 PM   #47
Senior Member
rademan11 is on a distinguished road
Joined: Mar 2014, #124617
Location: DFW TEXAS
Gender: Male
Posts: 143
rademan11's Tacoma Gallery
Give her a bowl of ice cream and you won't have to listen to her for a little while.
Lotto ticket will also shut my wife up for a little while......bingo lotto ticket are the best.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:25 PM   #48
Smurf it.
Guerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Guerrilla's Avatar
Navy:
Name: 00
Joined: Apr 2013, #102807
Location: Babylon
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,355
Guerrilla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5280Transplant View Post
I think I should clear this up, I wasn't talking about your posts being junk science, I wasn't talking about supplements being magic pills. I actually take fish oil, I don't take burners, but I used to take pre workout and protein. I don't consider those magic pills because you still have to work to get benefits.

Like I said in my original post, losing weight does not necessarily mean you are healthy. I think a nutritionist is a great option if you can afford it, I can't, so I turn to the collective knowledge of an entire forum on reddit dedicated to loosing weight. That is why I mentioned it. There are actually several dietary professionals that post there often.

It's an emotion subject for anyone who has been fat before, myself included. I definitely understand how OP's wife feels. All I wanted to do is help OP avoid some of the things I know won't help. Keeping morale is 99% of weight loss (in my experience) I would be upset if she followed someone's advice and gave up when it failed her, that is why I felt compelled to respond.

I'll leave it at that because this thread was meant to help, not settle stupid squabbles.
I wasn't trying to start anything with you or take what you said like you were singling my posts out either. Your wording is what sparked me to respond.
Because I believe there's a lot of people on here with a lot of knowledge on a lot of different topics not just Tacoma's. And I think you have some yourself and were just trying to help, but didn't take the time to choose the right wording. I've said dumb things or things people haven't liked on here before too.

I've never struggled with having to lose weight. But personally know of people who have and do. I know its not easy mentally or physically. But I'm fully aware of very similar challenges and dedication it takes for a certain level of fitness. And just willing to give what little advice I may have to "try" and help.

You're right morale is a big factor.
Good luck losing the weight and keeping it off. Don't forget then slip back, I've seen that happen, and its hard to watch.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axle weight, GVWR, Curb Weight etc.... Swamp Donkey 2nd Gen. Tacomas 2 03-05-2013 08:40 PM
Do I need a break controller on 3375 Dry weight with 390 lbs Tongue weight JUJtacoma2010 Towing 13 06-25-2012 05:28 AM
lose my licence??? FreidTaco Off-Topic Discussion 133 04-19-2012 09:17 PM
Pulling a 5000 lb (dry) weight, 500 lb tongue weight trailer IslandGuy Towing 6 12-24-2011 11:10 AM
And the "TW Wife of the Year Award" goes to my wife Buzzoff 2nd Gen. Tacomas 10 12-26-2009 12:23 AM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.