Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

shoe inserts for jobs requiring standing all day

Old 02-22-2014, 07:18 PM   #1
First I derp.. then I herp
mntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Aaron
mntbiker2008's Tacoma Gallery
shoe inserts for jobs requiring standing all day

Hey guys/ gals I just got a new job working in a factory 8 hrs a day that has me standing at an assembly line the whole time. I have back issues from an injury that has my spine tweaked so I am wondering if any of you that are in the field have a good suggestion on what I can do to help ease some pressure on my back. I have to wear steel toe boots and have Doc Martens... I am thinking some kind of shoe insert but if anyone has any other ideas, I would appreciate it. I need something to help me out!
Old 02-22-2014, 07:26 PM   #2
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Comfortable boots and inserts . If allowed anti fatigue mat. Good boots cost $$$
Old 02-22-2014, 07:35 PM   #3
mntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
Comfortable boots and inserts . If allowed anti fatigue mat. Good boots cost $$$
Yeah I spent close to 300 on these boots I have now. I figure the inserts would be the best bet but not sure if there is anything else that I might not know of that would work better.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:36 PM   #4
MARANATHA !!!
TheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TheGrayRider's Tacoma Gallery
I wear these shoe inserts ... I have for over 8 years... Footlevelers Workwear

I put them into whatever shoes or boots I wear

My chiropractor has a machine that you stand on and it measures your feet so these are not cheap but custom fitted to your feet

Worth every penny
Attached Thumbnails
shoe inserts for jobs requiring standing all day-image.jpg  
Old 02-22-2014, 07:38 PM   #5
gman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

gman2530's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntbiker2008 View Post
Hey guys/ gals I just got a new job working in a factory 8 hrs a day that has me standing at an assembly line the whole time. I have back issues from an injury that has my spine tweaked so I am wondering if any of you that are in the field have a good suggestion on what I can do to help ease some pressure on my back. I have to wear steel toe boots and have Doc Martens... I am thinking some kind of shoe insert but if anyone has any other ideas, I would appreciate it. I need something to help me out!
Been wearing these over 15yrs.....

http://www.footshox.com
Old 02-22-2014, 08:08 PM   #6

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrayRider View Post
I wear these shoe inserts ... I have for over 8 years... Footlevelers Workwear

I put them into whatever shoes or boots I wear

My chiropractor has a machine that you stand on and it measures your feet so these are not cheap but custom fitted to your feet

Worth every penny
Yeah I know those custom inserts wont be cheap but if it means back relief, I am definitely willing to fork up the money. Did you try those Dr. Scholls custom inserts before you tried these out? I know that Dr. Scholls are about $50 and you stand on the little machine at the store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman2530 View Post
Been wearing these over 15yrs.....

http://www.footshox.com
Those are interesting. About how long do they hold up until you have to buy new ones?
Old 02-22-2014, 09:01 PM   #7
MARANATHA !!!
TheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Yeah I know those custom inserts wont be cheap but if it means back relief, I am definitely willing to fork up the money. Did you try those Dr. Scholls custom inserts before you tried these out? I know that Dr. Scholls are about $50 and you stand on the little machine at the store.
These custom inserts are the only way I can walk around without back and knee pain ... Aircraft mechanic for over 25 years

You can also stand in a foam form and that is the best fit ... That's what I do but not many doctors still use the foam

First pair was $350 ... Used them for over 2 years and almost eliminated the need to see my chiropractor, so they paid for themselves. Next pair was $200, I got a discount. The 3rd pair was $300

These are leather ... Not some flimsy gel filled 'I hope these work' inserts
Old 02-23-2014, 04:17 AM   #8
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Wow.....in all honesty.... with your back problems, I wouldn't plan on staying in that job for too long.

I worked in a factory for 20 years with steal toed boots and on concrete floors all day. The only saving grace, is that I wasn't standing in one place. I'd be walking all day. I just got a new job in December (office job) and all my 'aches & pains' have subsided.

My recommendations:
I always had at least a 2nd pair of boots (different boots) that I rotated. My feet never got 'accustomed' to one pair and it just felt better day to day to rotate them. Aside from that, the boots could dry out............ I always ended up getting athletes foot in the hot summers.

I've tried various gel inserts & such.... they made things feel better for a while, but they never lasted very long. I was lucky to get 2 years out of any boots that I owned. Boots don't last forever.....and the older they get, the least supportive and comfortable they are.

Have your employer supply anti-fatique mats.....THEY OWE THAT TO YOU!!
Old 02-23-2014, 05:28 AM   #9

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrayRider View Post
These custom inserts are the only way I can walk around without back and knee pain ... Aircraft mechanic for over 25 years

You can also stand in a foam form and that is the best fit ... That's what I do but not many doctors still use the foam

First pair was $350 ... Used them for over 2 years and almost eliminated the need to see my chiropractor, so they paid for themselves. Next pair was $200, I got a discount. The 3rd pair was $300

These are leather ... Not some flimsy gel filled 'I hope these work' inserts
thank you for the info. I am going to check in to getting those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Wow.....in all honesty.... with your back problems, I wouldn't plan on staying in that job for too long.

I worked in a factory for 20 years with steal toed boots and on concrete floors all day. The only saving grace, is that I wasn't standing in one place. I'd be walking all day. I just got a new job in December (office job) and all my 'aches & pains' have subsided.

My recommendations:
I always had at least a 2nd pair of boots (different boots) that I rotated. My feet never got 'accustomed' to one pair and it just felt better day to day to rotate them. Aside from that, the boots could dry out............ I always ended up getting athletes foot in the hot summers.

I've tried various gel inserts & such.... they made things feel better for a while, but they never lasted very long. I was lucky to get 2 years out of any boots that I owned. Boots don't last forever.....and the older they get, the least supportive and comfortable they are.

I do have a second pair of boots... I am going to try rotating them each day and see how well that helps. I walk around a lot as well between machines (I run 5 machines) so I shouldn't say I am just standing in one spot but we cant have anti fatigue mats up where I am because we are dealing with cutting metal and its always wet up there. They are talking about moving me to assembly though and they do have them there.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:58 AM   #10
bussin is on a distinguished road

Name: Kevin
bussin's Tacoma Gallery
I found that wearing hi quality socks helps. I'm also a fan of redwing boots. I have a pair going on four years of heavy use. Almost need to be resoled.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:07 AM   #11
spencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Spencer
spencer44306's Tacoma Gallery
I worked in a welding shop for a year.

concrete floors, no work pads on the ground...worst year of my life for my feet,back,knees.

I suggest investing in a good boot, and if things get bad dont feel ashamed to go find a different job. There are plenty of nice comfy office jobs that pay around the same, if not better.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:15 AM   #12
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a fan of Pedag inserts - they're hard to find in stores but I've had good luck getting them through amazon. They feel a little weird at first - like you're standing on a golf ball - but they do wonders for foot and back fatigue. I have several varieties for my sneakers and hiking boots.

http://www.pedagusa.com/arch_support...or_workers.htm
Old 02-23-2014, 03:26 PM   #14
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
standing in one place all day is much harder than moving around..Hopefully you will get used to it.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:29 PM   #15
No amount of balls on earth can hit you.
Rupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
Custom fit orthotics by a Podiatrist & thick, cushion comfort socks - Dickie's Steel Toe Work Socks. They're great.
^^^^^This.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:30 PM   #16

Firefighter:
Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I went out and bought some nice socks today (Dickies like mentioned above). Hopefully going to get some inserts this week.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:34 PM   #17
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Since everyone else has covered the shoes why not try some heat patches you can put on your back also it might be good to get some heated seats installed in your car if you don't have them already.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:16 PM   #18
MARANATHA !!!

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I went out and bought some nice socks today (Dickies like mentioned above). Hopefully going to get some inserts this week.
I also don't wear steel toed boots

Converse used to make an awesome 3/4 shoe with a Kevlar toe

They weigh just abit more than sneakers

They are to ANSI specification for safety shoes

http://www.steel-toe-shoes.com
Old 02-24-2014, 05:59 AM   #19
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: training officer
Name: TW certified keyboard mechanic
gearcruncher's Tacoma Gallery
My Chiropractor just diagnosed me with Plantar Fasciitis .
Made me walk on the computer pad and showed me the results on his lap top .
All the weight of my body is on my heels .
Its no darn wonder my feet are killing me .
Wake up in the morning and cant walk at all because your feet heal during the night and you tear all the muscles again when you get up in the morning .
I blow out the sides of my runners within a month . Turn your shoes upside down and look at the tread wear .
I go through a pair of work boots every 2 months .
Just ordered orthepedics through the group insurance company paid for by the company I work for .
Its a $500 dollar touch to get the inserts made and i get new inserts made once per year through your group insurance with your company .
Too bad it takes 2 months for the orthepedics to come in .
I have the Doctor Shoals but they wont last in a work boot .
The bone cruncher gave me a bunch of stretching excersises to follow making sure I stretch the hell out of my legs and calves .
All I can suggest is ... dont wait and suffer like i did . Go see a bone cruncher and get your orthepedics .If you are standing in the same spot for long periods of time , its the companies responsibilty to take every effort in making it comfortable and ergonomic for the worker .
Old 02-24-2014, 06:13 AM   #20
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post

My recommendations:

I agree with Janster on getting a 2nd or even a 3rd pair of boots. Rotating what I wear on my feet on a daily basis really helped my feet and back.