LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

Broken hand?

Old 04-22-2009, 11:22 PM   #1
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Broken hand?

Got into a fight Monday night. Immediately afterward I could tell my hand was not in the greatest of shape. Couldn't move 3 of my fingers without pain... Iced it for 20 mins before wrapping it up. Got sent to by the gf to Solantic where they said I fractured my knuckle. This was monday night. They put a splint on it. Well Yesterday I took the splint off because my hand was feeling better. Have had it wrapped on and off since then. I can completely close my fist and use it like normal with minimal pain. I'm supposed to get a cast put on my hand tomorrow morning, I think its overkill.

So my question is this, if I can continue using my hand like normal (like I'm doing right now), is it really broken? Obviously I'm not in fighting shape but I figure my hand will heal. Is a cast really necessary?
Old 04-22-2009, 11:24 PM   #2
the anti mpg
tacomajason is on a distinguished road
Air Force: E-4 2A551 Crew Cheif
tacomajason's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05TacoTRD View Post
Got into a fight Monday night. Immediately afterward I could tell my hand was not in the greatest of shape. Couldn't move 3 of my fingers without pain... Iced it for 20 mins before wrapping it up. Got sent to by the gf to Solantic where they said I fractured my knuckle. This was monday night. They put a splint on it. Well Yesterday I took the splint off because my hand was feeling better. Have had it wrapped on and off since then. I can completely close my fist and use it like normal with minimal pain. I'm supposed to get a cast put on my hand tomorrow morning, I think its overkill.

So my question is this, if I can continue using my hand like normal (like I'm doing right now), is it really broken? Obviously I'm not in fighting shape but I figure my hand will heal. Is a cast really necessary?
i would go with the cast. you don't want to be dealing with a serious case of arthritis in that hand later in life. a little bit of inconvenience now will pay off later...
Old 04-22-2009, 11:56 PM   #3
UnderWater Monopoly Champion
TicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: F-15 Crew-Chief
Name: Anastatia Beaverhausen
TicTacOma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to TicTacOma
Probably a "Boxer's Fracture".
Old 04-23-2009, 04:37 AM   #5
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
Which knuckle is fractured?? How bad is the swelling, discoloration?
No problems with movement, pain ect. in the wrist?

If it is the pinky knuckle, then boxers fracture is probably the case. Is your splinting something like this, the last 2 fingers immobilized?
We were always warned about this in self defense classes.

I'd say talk to the Doc and try to convince him that a splint would work better for you, but of course the Doctors advice should be followed.
Hope it heals up quickly for you.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:59 PM   #6
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Got boxers fracture. 3 weeks in a cast. I've had it less than 12 hours and already want it off.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:03 PM   #7
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
your lucky..guy i work with broke his hand, now hes got a metal plate in it!
Old 04-24-2009, 03:49 AM   #8
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Got boxers fracture. 3 weeks in a cast. I've had it less than 12 hours and already want it off.
So when you get that cast off are you going to learn how to really punch??

Kidding!! ...sucks about the cast, hope it heals quickly for you.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:23 AM   #9
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I had a boxers fracture on my right hand. I snapped both bones in half (pinky and ring metacarpals) below the knuckle. I was in a cast for 6 weeks. Whenever I close my fist, my pinky folds halfway under the ring finger. I say stick with the cast.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:42 AM   #10
Redneck from the hills
cbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
cbcs1987's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomajason View Post
i would go with the cast. you don't want to be dealing with a serious case of arthritis in that hand later in life. a little bit of inconvenience now will pay off later...
Exactly. Similar thing happened to me when I was a teenager and I already have arthritis setting in when I put a strain on my wrist (ex. anytime I use a wrench or take oil filter off etc...)

You'll hate the cast now but be thankful later. I wish I woulda just went to get mine looked at. Now I deal with it constantly. It even hurts if I fish for an extended period
Old 04-24-2009, 11:03 AM   #11
tacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud of

Name: Levi
tacoma08MZ's Tacoma Gallery
i had this exact thing happen to me a few years back, stupid ass fight, broke 2 knuckles. they put a cast on almost up to my elbow, like i had a broken wrist, for 4 weeks i think. now my hands fine id say 4 weeks is worth not having problems later
Old 05-20-2009, 02:34 PM   #12
TX Trill
TEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TEX357's Tacoma Gallery
Off topic a bit but Did ya win?
Old 05-20-2009, 02:45 PM   #13

Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoGuy05 View Post
Off topic a bit but Did ya win?
Indeed I did.

For those who where wondering, I did get the cast. I had it on for a little over a week before we got it wet in the shower... Was supposed to have it on for 3 weeks. Took it off with a screw driver. Hands healed now though.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:22 PM   #15
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
i like your avatar
Old 05-20-2009, 03:23 PM   #16
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Doesnt sound like your hand was too bad. If it was broken, you would have been in a cast much longer.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:45 PM   #17
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Dependant  (Father had 24 yrs on the Eisenhower, Ordinance Officer)
Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Glad it's back to normal. Hey for the next time, make sure to follow your doctors advice, because they really know what they're doing and they have a degree for it, so I'd take it they know what they are talking about.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:16 PM   #18
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
I chipped the bone in my knuckle after accidentally punching the side of a garbage truck. 3/8" plate steel vs. flesh and bone...who would thought the steel would win. It healed pretty quick, but hurt like a suminabich for a a week or so. Cheap ass work doctors let me go with a splint and back to full duty the next day.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:20 PM   #19
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy4Life View Post
I chipped the bone in my knuckle after accidentally punching the side of a garbage truck. 3/8" plate steel vs. flesh and bone...who would thought the steel would win. It healed pretty quick, but hurt like a suminabich for a a week or so. Cheap ass work doctors let me go with a splint and back to full duty the next day.
WOW!
I busted my Right hand, and had to have 2 temporary pins inserted into the bone. Hand couldnt be used for a few weeks. After I broke it, I could see the bones stacked on one another...
Old 05-30-2009, 07:02 PM   #20
jrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jrobson's Tacoma Gallery
Hey bro, I'm a physician assistant for Alabama Orthopaedic clinic. If you did in fact break your hand, it is usually the 5th metacarpal or a Boxers Fx like somebody else aldeary mentioned. You definately need a series of X-rays to be able to rule this out. If it is not displaced, then you're in luck. Just wear the cast for 4-6 weeks. If it is displaced then you need to have it fixed. If you mess around with this and not treat it correctly you could definately have some serious problems down the road. You don't want this, so do yourself a favor and go see a real Orthopaedic Dr. Feel free to PM me if you have any other problems.