Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

high blood pressure

Old 06-05-2009, 12:59 PM   #1
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
high blood pressure

doc just put me on some high blood pressure meds for now. Says i need to loose some weight, and I gotta go for bloodwork for cholesterol also.

How can i help out my blood pressure? I dont eat fast food, or really greesy food(besides pizza, I love it!)

at 22 years old, i dont want to have to be on blood pressure medication for the rest of my life.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:48 PM   #2
Betty White Edition Heep ZJ
jonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jonny's Tacoma Gallery
22 here too. also have high blood pressure. cant remember correctly, but the doc didnt make a big fuss about it. i have never been overweight, but also been eating foods high in protein lately. trying to bulk.
i guess i will need to double up on the honey nut cherios...

edit- turned 23 on tuesday
Old 06-05-2009, 02:03 PM   #3
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
Fish oil pills worked for me.

Cook with Olive oil and drink skim milk.

Start running or walking a couple times a week.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:21 PM   #4
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
hmm..maybe ill check out gnc tomorrow for some fish oil pills then..

I know I need to start walking, and now that we have a new pup it will be a perfect time to do so.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:12 PM   #5
Ride On
JM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
JM76's Tacoma Gallery
drink lots of water, lay off the salt, stay away from sodas.....exercise.....eat as good as you can....you guys are WAY to young to have this problem.....having long term high blood pressure is going to lead to a couple things......strokes, dialysis, and WORST of all...erectile dysfunction....so if you like to get your horizontal mambo on without a little blue pill....get it looked into, and this is not something to take lightly, for you and your little soldier, ahem.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:46 PM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Start taking care of yourself and do it NOW!!

I don't think any of us can tell you what the doctor has told you already.

The best thing to do (without knowing any other details) is to start exercising. Whether you get a gym membership and do a variety of things, lifting weights, cardio equipment, classes, swimming pool, etc...
Make it a habit and start now.

There's a guy I used to work with was only 32 years old and he had a serious heart attack!!! High blood pressure & high cholesterol. He never thought something like that could happen to him.....and he never saw it coming.
He's OK now - luckily, his young age enabled him to bounce back. That was an eye opener for him. He's taking care of himself much better now.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:29 PM   #7
kraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kraaazymike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada View Post
drink lots of water, lay off the salt, stay away from sodas.....exercise.....eat as good as you can....you guys are WAY to young to have this problem.....having long term high blood pressure is going to lead to a couple things......strokes, dialysis, and WORST of all...erectile dysfunction....so if you like to get your horizontal mambo on without a little blue pill....get it looked into, and this is not something to take lightly, for you and your little soldier, ahem.

+1. I couldn't agree more. Besides the obvious like junk food and exercise, stay away from salts and red meat. Though I think full leg amputations may be worse than ED... but that's another debate for another day.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:47 PM   #8

Firefighter:
i dont really eat any junk food, dont really have any controll over what salt I eat, since I live at home and my mom cooks dinner. I had a gym membership, went for about a year, then stopped going. Im going to start walking and see how that works out..I eat relatively healthy, no fast food junk or anything..But the thing I found out today, is that high blood pressure runs in my moms side of the family.. sucks

I have a checkup next month, and I'd like to drop at least 10lbs before the next visit thou
Old 06-06-2009, 12:46 AM   #9
kraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kraaazymike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
i dont really eat any junk food, dont really have any controll over what salt I eat, since I live at home and my mom cooks dinner. I had a gym membership, went for about a year, then stopped going. Im going to start walking and see how that works out..I eat relatively healthy, no fast food junk or anything..But the thing I found out today, is that high blood pressure runs in my moms side of the family.. sucks

I have a checkup next month, and I'd like to drop at least 10lbs before the next visit thou

Realistically, dropping 10 lbs without sweating any water weight off is unhealthy. Perhaps four of five might be realistic but ten isn't good for you. Walking is an excellent way to reduce blood pressure. Reduces stress while reducing LDL. If you eat as healthy as you say, walking is a good start.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:17 PM   #10
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post

Maybe you can help your mom with dinner... I'm sure she wants to keep you healthy as long as she can Like others have said, watch what you eat and get some exercise.

If diet and exercise don't work, be sure to take your medication religiously!!! Get a blood pressure monitor and take it on a daily basis. You might be able to see what things you eat/do can cause your pressure to go up and then avoid them.

Being on medication is better than the alternative.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:34 PM   #11
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
30 minutes of cardio 3 or 4 times a week.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:57 AM   #12
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
What medication did they put you on? How high is your BP and what is your height/weight?

My doc put me on Metoprolol, but then I saw a Cardiologist and he switched it to Atenolol which he says works better due to it being 24hr release. Both are Beta-Blockers.

I'm 27, no history of heart problems and started having palpitations and chest pain last year. I went to the Dr and my BP was really high. I got full blood and urine tests, everything came back normal. EKG's all coming back normal, 24hr Holter (blood pressure) monitor came back normal, Echocardiogram came back normal, Cardiologist unable to give a reason why my BP got so high and put me on meds and check back in 6 months.

I exercise regularly and have always been in pretty good shape, I have a pretty active and low stress lifestyle. I don't eat unhealthy foods and watch my salt, don't drink soda etc...Also I've never smoked and I rarely drink alcohol. So I have basically no risk factors for high BP, but I have it and nobody can tell me why. I take the meds and they help, but I don't like not knowing why and having to take meds every day.

I hadn't heard of the fish oil, I'll have to try that.

Hopefully lifestyle changes work for you. Take the meds while starting your exercise plan and check your BP on your own regularly for the first couple months.
Good luck and post back your results.