1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Knee question

Discussion in 'Health' started by tablesalt, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Jun 9, 2009 at 9:13 AM
    tablesalt

tablesalt [OP] Tacoma Lover

Member:
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner, Double Cab TRD V6
    Good ole' Stock. Black.
    I was at work and I was going to pick up a small piece of particle board. I bend my knees and bend over, and of all a sudden I felt like a twist/snap in front of my knee area. It hurt instantly but then the pain was gone. So I thought, maybe my joint just popped like my finger joints pop. This happen on 5/13/09. It was an annoying pain, but I didn't think anything of it. So I continued on the treadmill, elliptical, and weights. A week later the pain was more noticeable. So I decided to go to the doctor and he told me that I had a tear in my knee tendon. Now mind you, I had a torn meniscus in the same knee, which I forgot to mention to the doctor. Technically, its been 2 weeks that I have actually let my knee rest, and I am still getting some pain. I am wondering if I should get some x-rays or MRIs. Or maybe I'll go to an orthopedic. What do you guys think? Have you guys ever had something like this happen?

tablesalt

2. Jun 9, 2009 at 9:16 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    A few family members got a piece of loose cartilage floating around in there that was causing them a lot of pain. If you don't get the floater out, you might cause your knee more damage. I would have the doc take a look at it.

3. Jun 10, 2009 at 5:58 AM
    tablesalt

Member:
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    Good ole' Stock. Black.
    I am going to make an appointment hopefully for this week or next week with the ortho. And at least get some X-rays. Do you guys think just from bending over can cause a serious problem? I am an old salt at the age of 26. Before this injury I use to get on the treadmill 5-6 days out of the week, and still do some lifting. Maybe, I should of stretch for longer periods. In any case, I am going to see my doctor.

thanks

tablesalt

4. Jun 10, 2009 at 6:20 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    One of my granfathers had knee problems & had a replacement. So being that I have probably abused mine to some degree in the past 35 yrs of repetitive motion damage skateboarding, surfing, raquetball etc I have moved to bicycles as my mainstream cardio of choice due to the low impactness on the joints. Trying to milk not having to have anything bad happen for mobility. Did have compound fracture of forearm with bone poking thru skin on one side & all that from skateboarding incident but that's more of a balance or paddling issue vs. longterm mobility issue. I am guarding against hip,knee,ankle or back injuries as best I can & still have fun. Pace yourself people is my best advice. Good luck at the doctor & as was eluded to above, get multiple opinions.

5. Jun 10, 2009 at 6:41 AM
    TacticalBacon13

TacticalBacon13 Sorry for party rockin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Dunk
    Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    2014 tundra platinum
    baby seat and a muffler
    you are correct my tear never showed up the first time when it was small tear to the meniscus but when it became a t-bucket tear thats when shit hit the fan.

dood go get checked asap. i waited around on my and ended up making it more of a mess .

6. Jun 12, 2009 at 6:58 AM
    tablesalt

Member:
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    Good ole' Stock. Black.
    I have an appointment next thursday. I'll keep you guys updated.

thanks

7. Jun 12, 2009 at 12:10 PM
    tablesalt

Member:
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    Good ole' Stock. Black.

Well, it turns out that my boss recommended another doctor. S o I set an appointment for Tuesday. She is not my regular doctor but she'll be able to provide me with a second opinion.

tablesalt

8. Jun 12, 2009 at 12:30 PM
    tmat

tmat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Treavor
    Cypress, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab, PreRunner
    BHLM, de-badged, custom Manoukian flowmaster exhaust system, Bilstein 5100 front adjustable shocks set at 1.75", "smoked" foglights, Satoshi grille mod, 265/75r16 BFG T/A KO tires, AFE Pro Dry S air filter, solid rear window, Weathertech floor liners and painted grill surround
    Best of luck man. I have two torn meniscus's; one in my left, one in my right knee. Hope all goes well

9. Jun 12, 2009 at 11:45 PM
    Definitely

Definitely Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 TRD OffRoad
    If you tore your patella tendon you'll be in for a world of rehab, bending down and popping could either be misalignment of the knee cap causing it to jump out of it's grove (think of a bowling ball bouncing down the gutter violently) or you might've partially torn an ACL.

But if have a meniscus already torn it very well could have just flipped and got into a bind which is a very easy surgical fix IE 30min-1hr and a few weeks of rehab.

10. Jun 17, 2009 at 10:21 AM
    tablesalt

Member:
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    Good ole' Stock. Black.

So it turns out that my insurance won't fully cover me for this doctor. But I still have an appointment with my regular doctor on thursday.

tablesalt

11. Jun 17, 2009 at 10:27 AM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    Agree X all,

Don't mess with the knee's get them/it looked at. Better to be safe than sorry down the road.
    Hope everything turns out OK.........

12. Jun 17, 2009 at 10:51 AM
    Goblin

Goblin TSB 0305-08 Rev2 & TSB 0373-09 DONE

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 TRD OFF ROAD
    STOCK TRD 4X4 OR DC
    Don't let the doctor touch you without an MRI! Do not do PT without and MRI! If the doctor recommends it without then change doctors because he/she is an idiot!

Oh, f$ck Ortho go Sports Medicine! I doubt seriously this is a bone issue. Find a guy that works on the local athletes.

More than likely just a partial tear that you wont let heal since you continue to use it and exercise. If you can't afford a good doctor; imobolize it for 6-8 weeks while you save up your $$. If it doesn't correct by then; go to a real doctor.

Just my .02

13. Jun 17, 2009 at 12:58 PM
    Ty's Taco

Ty's Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Sweet home Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner SR5 Sport Pearl Black
    Ask visa or my wife. They both constantly remind me how much I've got left to spend.
    As a P.T. it sounds like you have a meniscus tear from the rotational force making the knee pop but you should always have an ortho doc check it out before you do anything. The ACL, MCL and medial miniscus are all connected so when one is damaged you normally have minute tears in the others as well. There is a poor blood supply to these ligaments and to parts of the miniscus so they have to have surgery to correct since they are slow to heal. Depending on the grade of the tearing you might just be in P.T. if only minor tearing but since you've had a torn miniscus before then surgery might be needed.

14. Jun 17, 2009 at 2:29 PM
    tablesalt

Member:
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    Good ole' Stock. Black.
    Damn. I didn't know bending over could possibly cause so many problems. It was just a simple bend. But I'll make sure to ask more questions this time around.

tablesalt

15. Jun 18, 2009 at 4:54 PM
    tablesalt

Member:
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    Good ole' Stock. Black.
    Doctor says I have tendinitis. He did some basic knee tests to test for typical meniscus tear, and he concluded that it was just tendinitis. I ask if I needed a MRI or Xray, and he said no. He said just let it rest and refer me to some PT time, so I am taking his advise and taking the next five days off. I am headed towards Humboldt and relax a bit, and maybe camp one night. we'll see how this goes, its already been a month. This reminds me of when my brakes were squealing after I had them install.

tablesalt

16. Jun 28, 2009 at 2:46 PM
    tablesalt

Member:
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    Good ole' Stock. Black.
    An update. Well, I went to see a different doctor on friday and took some xrays. tells me that he didn't see anything abnormal, and diagnosis the issue as a minor tear/strained. He also noticed a small bone spur on my kneecap. (patella) What should I do? (is what i should of ask, but I didn't), I was just surprise. I am going to see if I can get a copy of those xrays and take them to an ortho. He also noticed that where the tibia and femur meet in the middle, he noticed that the bones were slightly touching.

What does the future hold for my knees?

THIS ARE NOT MY KNEES, just trying to paint you guys a picture....

tablesalt

l-med-cell-knee02.jpg
    l-med-cell-knee01.jpg

17. Jun 30, 2009 at 5:20 PM
    tablesalt

Member:
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    Good ole' Stock. Black.
    here is my real knee....