1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Health Insurance

Discussion in 'Health' started by neontrail, Jun 10, 2009.

?

Do you have health insurance?

1. YES

141 vote(s)
    91.0%
  2. NO

14 vote(s)
    9.0%
  1. Oct 16, 2012 at 1:23 PM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    The reason healthcare cost's are so high IS a result of all those things you mention AND it has to cover the treatment of patients who cannot/wont pay. I dont see how "party" has much to do with it. Its the private sector in control of it all.

2. Oct 16, 2012 at 3:25 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    OK poor choice of words on my part..by "party" I refer to person, group, or provider..not a political party.

For instance..doctors will bill $100 or more for a 5 minute visit. Could they be cheaper? Sure. Should they be? I dunno..that's a long time in school and the knowledge of a very important subject.

Another driver is people who go to the ER when they are not feeling well. Hospital visits even for something simple are well over $1000 easy.

I'll agree that part of it does help pay for care for those unable to..no doubt.

3. Oct 17, 2012 at 8:20 AM
    oldstick

oldstick Medicare Member

Member:
    GA
    OK, here's my question about the insurance and billing practices in the US and I haven't gotten a logical answer for it yet.

It's like the medical providers want you to have and reward you for having insurance. For example recently a family member had surgery and and hospital stay. We got the paperwork from Blue Cross and the total charges submitted by the hospital was $20K some odd. And because they are a Blue Cross preferred provider they knowingly and gladly accepted around $7K as total payment. We only owed our $100 copayment.

But if we did not have insurance, I assume the hospital would have expected the full $20K+ from us? I know the doc wants the full $125 from cash customers instead of the 50 he would get from insurance customers.

So which end of the scale represents the true costs of medical care? And how can providers legally expect and pursue collection based on the (I assume) inflated figures while they are gladly profitting on lesser amounts with insurance customers?

4. Oct 17, 2012 at 12:48 PM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    thats strange, My doctor charges less for cash patients than ones on insurance plans. I don't know what to tell you here. mt guess is you have a bill, the insurance company negotiates a lesser amount and it gets paid. If you don't have insurance, I am not totally sure you would have to pay the full twenty thousand. Do you know it to to true?

5. Oct 18, 2012 at 9:47 AM
    oldstick

oldstick Medicare Member

Member:
    GA
    I'm pretty sure that's the case here in GA. Maybe there is some sort of negotiation process for an individual, but they sure don't publicize it if so. I think you can declare a monthly amount you are able to pay and they can't legally go after you as long as you keep paying that, but not sure.

We got hit one time paying 60% of a hospital bill due to the insurance having lower coverage on the specific condition. GA laws have changed sinced then and that wouldn't happen now.

6. Oct 22, 2012 at 10:50 PM
    ABA180

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    This might get a little confusing, so bear with me.

When a medical provider agrees to contract with an insurer, part of their contract is that they will agree to accept payment of an allowed charge (what we consider fair) as full payment of their charged amount (your $20k figure)..you pay the copayment and they write off the balance.

You're correct that the provider can charge the full 20K (or frankly whatever they wish) if you walk in without insurance.

Which end is the truth? Tough to give a stock answer I'm afraid. To the insured, it's the 7k. To the uninsured, the 20k.

The other thing is, assume you have no insurance. Sure they'll bill you the 20k probably but jeez how can you get blood from a turnip? Someone with that large of a bill will barely be able to pay that a little at a time, I'd imagine if someone had 20K kicking around they'd have bought insurance.

7. Oct 22, 2012 at 10:53 PM
    ABA180

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    You're correct on the 2nd sentence of that. Some doctors will charge less for a cash patient but they don't have to. Perhaps they are figuring they'd get a lower amount from insurance anyway..or perhaps just giving a little back to those who really can't afford insurance.

Could the hospital bill the 20K? Of course. Will they get it? Probably not. I'd have to figure that one could attempt to get free care through the state..or perhaps some help from the hospital as well.

8. Oct 24, 2012 at 3:16 PM
    The Driver

The Driver Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Lakewood (Green Mountain), CO.
    Vehicle:
    '02 Extra cab 4X4 TRD SR5 3.4
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, ToyTec Bilstein front coilovers, SPC UCA's, Alcan leafs, Class 3 Hitch, Tundra Front Brakes,
    I have decline health insurance for the past two years. But since I'm moving to Colorado in 5 weeks, and I KNOW I'll be breaking a couple of bones either skiing or rock climbing/bouldering, I'll have no choice but start getting it thru my employer. It was really neat not to have it though, as I really don't believe in modern medicine.

9. Oct 24, 2012 at 3:36 PM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    Just remember Walgreens doesn't give a shit about you.. :( it's a shame. The W can suck it!

10. Oct 24, 2012 at 8:40 PM
    ABA180

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    Try being in MA..if you don't have health insurance, you get penalized on your income tax returns.

11. Oct 25, 2012 at 10:29 AM
    oldstick

oldstick Medicare Member

Member:
    GA
    Yes, I understand the provider-insurance contract agreements.

I figure some of it just a price tag shell game played by both parties to encourage you to have and keep your insurance. It is probably advantageous for both the providers and the insurance co.'s to have everyone paying for some type of umbrella plan. I know the local doctors here wouldn't stay in business very long, if they didn't accept Blue Cross, issued by the largest employers in the area.

12. Oct 25, 2012 at 6:16 PM
    ABA180

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    I suppose it could be seen as that..but it's a way that the insurer can keep costs down as well. Like you said, no large facility in their right minds won't contract with a big insurer.

For doctors, it depends on the specialty. I find of those who don't contract a good chunk of them will be mental health providers..most every internal medicine doctor will though

Products Discussed in

To Top