Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

Cut my knee out already!

Old 06-15-2009, 05:26 AM   #21
ban the term murdered out
OU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gas Turbine Elec
Name: danusa
OU812's Tacoma Gallery
Wow Judy, sorry to hear that. I hope you get an appt soon to get it done. I've never been in that situation so I can only imagine how much it aggravates you. I'll keep you in my prayers.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:47 AM   #23
Definitely will become famous soon enough
Army:
Definitely's Tacoma Gallery
You'd be suprized how fast how fast some people get back on there feet. I work in the ortho department in surgery and we've had some folks actually up walking around 8 hours post-op. Not always the case but recovery has dramatically improved
Old 06-15-2009, 05:59 AM   #24
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Definitely View Post
You'd be suprized how fast how fast some people get back on there feet. I work in the ortho department in surgery and we've had some folks actually up walking around 8 hours post-op. Not always the case but recovery has dramatically improved
X2.

I dont work in the medical field, but I have been a regular at the local ER's for 25+ years.........But it seems that every year, they are doing something different to better serve the patient. The last couple of surgeries I have had have been a walk in the park. Its just like a restfull nap, but when you wake up, you are fixed...well.....Rehab can be a pain, but its still much better. Really, the only complaint that I have, is that the TV's are a bit on the small side. Hell.....My last surgery, the room I was in even had Internetz!
Old 06-17-2009, 03:02 AM   #25
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Judy, hope you are feeling a little better. Glad you are in the process of getting the replacement soon and you will be all better shortly! I know the frustration of trying finding a compassionate doc who actually listens and helps. Good Luck
Old 06-27-2009, 09:23 AM   #26
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Judy, sorry you are having such trouble with your knee. Hope it's doing better and that you'll have a new knee real soon.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:18 PM   #27
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
just saw this thread.

Judy......hope you get all this straightened out and start feeling better real soon.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:11 PM   #28
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
Whats the status?
X2.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:09 AM   #29
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
thank you everybody

I have been meaning to update the status of my knee

My orthopaedic on 17th Aug did a pre-replacement arthroscopic surgery to get "eyes on" inside the joint.

He cleaned out a bunch of debris, trimmed some tears on my only remaining posterier meniscus & evaluated the knee compartments hoping...maybe....
I could get away with a partial replacement

On my follow-up two weeks later he told me very technically that my knee looked like:
1. A shook up snow globe,
2. My reconstructed ACL of 20 yrs ago was history &
3. A majority of the cartiledge under the knee cap & medial side was akin to peeling teflon on an overcooked Caphlon fry pan.

Hmmm my knee did not qualify for partial replacement but the good news is he'll fix it all up with a new state of the art prothesis!!

All he has to do is saw off the bottom end of my femur & top end of my tibia, take out junk in the middle & dido in the new joint. Oh & sew me up afterwards.

I see him again on the 24th Nov to talk about it/schedule it. Since I'm back to work it might not happen as soon as I want to. I committed to covering for friends deployed to Afghanistan for a yr. My issue seems small in comparison so I'll manage my activities accordingly, not ski for upcoming season, the hiking trails will always be there & as long as Simon gets a walk in and my daily living activities are somewhat pain free, its ok.

It not always been that way, I like to go go go but I guess for now this is the Big Man's plan & will roll with the punches.
Plus I have blessed with a great doc!

Anyway, thank you everyone who encouraged me and sent kind words.
Will take some pictures when it finally happens.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:15 AM   #30
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the update...take it easy for awhile and you will be all fixed up soon enough. Always nice to have a great doc working with you too .
Old 11-07-2009, 05:24 AM   #31
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
Happy thoughts and prayers coming your way.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:53 AM   #32
Kiss My IFS
yotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
yotarob2005's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon's Mom View Post
2. My reconstructed ACL of 20 yrs ago was history
First, I am sorry to hear about your knee problems, I have had some myself this year. We both know they can be challenging. My dad had both of his replaced last year & he is doing great now. Best of luck to you.

About your reconstucted ACL. I had mine REPLACED with a grafted tendion from my shin on 9/4/09, It could not be reaired. Now that I see yours only lasted for 20 years it makes me wonder if mine will need to be done again down the road. I am 29 years old so if I only get 20 years out of each one, I could in theory need 2 more at 49 & 69? Was your originally repaird or replaced?
Old 11-07-2009, 06:34 AM   #33
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxySandChick View Post
Thanks for the update...take it easy for awhile and you will be all fixed up soon enough. Always nice to have a great doc working with you too .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridingontrd View Post
Happy thoughts and prayers coming your way.
TY!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotarob2005 View Post
First, I am sorry to hear about your knee problems, I have had some myself this year. We both know they can be challenging. My dad had both of his replaced last year & he is doing great now. Best of luck to you.

About your reconstucted ACL. I had mine REPLACED with a grafted tendion from my shin on 9/4/09, It could not be reaired. Now that I see yours only lasted for 20 years it makes me wonder if mine will need to be done again down the road. I am 29 years old so if I only get 20 years out of each one, I could in theory need 2 more at 49 & 69? Was your originally repaird or replaced?
Thank you for the info on your dad & am glad he's doing better.
I meant my ACL replaced, it was 4/79 when I was 19 & it was a graft from hamstring and done non-arthroscopically sincethe technology wasn't there yet unfortunately.
I am sure your replacement is much more advanced due to how medical techniques have improved. Plus as a guy, your hips are narrower & your skeleton structure straighter which causes less stress on the knee joint.
A previous doc told me even the notch inside the joint where the pcl/acl cross is different from men to women (v-shaped=women/u-shaped=men) which can effect the ligament tearing or not tearing. Obviously you can't predict these things but I hope you get 60+ more years out of your replacement!! Stay strong and have fun
Old 11-07-2009, 06:59 AM   #34
Kiss My IFS
yotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thank you very much, I hope your recovery is speedy. If I could give you one piece of advise that you probablly already know it is..... Do The Physical Theropy. It is not much fun, but worth it.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:47 AM   #35
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxySandChick View Post
X2 a great doc is a blessing
Old 01-09-2010, 06:47 PM   #37
NorthernTacoma will become famous soon enough

Name: Brandon
NorthernTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotarob2005 View Post

There is no time line on a reconstructed graft. Assuming your doc put the graft in the correct position your graft, which sounds like they took it from your patellar tendon, should last you the rest of your life. With that being said, you tore your ACL and injured your cartilage at the time of injury. Hopefully you won't ever have any issues from this but their is a chance you will get arthritis in the future b/c of this original injury. Only time will tell. I wouldn't worry about how long your graft will last. You should be just fine.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:23 PM   #38
Token
Fluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Fluffymonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTacoma View Post
There is no time line on a reconstructed graft. Assuming your doc put the graft in the correct position your graft, which sounds like they took it from your patellar tendon, should last you the rest of your life. With that being said, you tore your ACL and injured your cartilage at the time of injury. Hopefully you won't ever have any issues from this but their is a chance you will get arthritis in the future b/c of this original injury. Only time will tell. I wouldn't worry about how long your graft will last. You should be just fine.

*There. Sorry in advance for being an asshole.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:42 PM   #39
Kiss My IFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTacoma View Post
Thank you for the info, yes it was a graft from my petellar tendon & I feel great now. I think it will last.

Judy, how is your knee?
Old 01-09-2010, 07:44 PM   #40
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck with your surgery hun...I see knee replacement and knee revision surgery's all the time...its no big deal and you'll be back to 150% in no time