1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cut my knee out already!

Discussion in 'Health' started by Simon's Mom, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Jun 15, 2009 at 5:26 AM
    OU812

OU812 ban the term murdered out

Member:
    First Name:
    danusa
    Kilroy was here
    Vehicle:
    13 DblCab LB 4X4
    Nothing yet, brand new!
    Wow Judy, sorry to hear that. I hope you get an appt soon to get it done. I've never been in that situation so I can only imagine how much it aggravates you. I'll keep you in my prayers.

2. Jun 15, 2009 at 5:44 AM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    Judy, hate to hear about the knee issues.
    Hopefully they will get everyting taken care of and you will be jumping around again.

3. Jun 15, 2009 at 5:47 AM
    Definitely

Definitely Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 TRD OffRoad
    You'd be suprized how fast how fast some people get back on there feet. I work in the ortho department in surgery and we've had some folks actually up walking around 8 hours post-op. Not always the case but recovery has dramatically improved

4. Jun 15, 2009 at 5:59 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    X2.

I dont work in the medical field, but I have been a regular at the local ER's for 25+ years....:(.....But it seems that every year, they are doing something different to better serve the patient. The last couple of surgeries I have had have been a walk in the park. Its just like a restfull nap, but when you wake up, you are fixed...well.....Rehab can be a pain, but its still much better. :) Really, the only complaint that I have, is that the TV's are a bit on the small side. Hell.....My last surgery, the room I was in even had Internetz! :D

5. Jun 17, 2009 at 3:02 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    Hey Judy, hope you are feeling a little better. Glad you are in the process of getting the replacement soon and you will be all better shortly! I know the frustration of trying finding a compassionate doc who actually listens and helps. Good Luck :D

6. Jun 27, 2009 at 9:23 AM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    Judy, sorry you are having such trouble with your knee. Hope it's doing better and that you'll have a new knee real soon.

7. Jun 29, 2009 at 3:18 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    just saw this thread.

Judy......hope you get all this straightened out and start feeling better real soon.

8. Aug 2, 2009 at 6:11 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    X2.

9. Nov 7, 2009 at 5:09 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom [OP] Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    I have been meaning to update the status of my knee :eek:

My orthopaedic on 17th Aug did a pre-replacement arthroscopic surgery to get "eyes on" inside the joint.

He cleaned out a bunch of debris, trimmed some tears on my only remaining posterier meniscus & evaluated the knee compartments hoping...maybe....
    I could get away with a partial replacement

On my follow-up two weeks later he told me very technically that my knee looked like:
    1. A shook up snow globe,
    2. My reconstructed ACL of 20 yrs ago was history &
    3. A majority of the cartiledge under the knee cap & medial side was akin to peeling teflon on an overcooked Caphlon fry pan.
    :eek:
    Hmmm my knee did not qualify for partial replacement but the good news is he'll fix it all up with a new state of the art prothesis!! :taco:

All he has to do is saw off the bottom end of my femur & top end of my tibia, take out junk in the middle & dido in the new joint. Oh & sew me up afterwards.

I see him again on the 24th Nov to talk about it/schedule it. Since I'm back to work it might not happen as soon as I want to. I committed to covering for friends deployed to Afghanistan for a yr. My issue seems small in comparison so I'll manage my activities accordingly, not ski for upcoming season, the hiking trails will always be there & as long as Simon gets a walk in and my daily living activities are somewhat pain free, its ok.

It not always been that way, I like to go go go but I guess for now this is the Big Man's plan & will roll with the punches.
    Plus I have blessed with a great doc! :woot:

Anyway, thank you everyone who encouraged me and sent kind words.
    Will take some pictures when it finally happens.

10. Nov 7, 2009 at 5:15 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    Thanks for the update...take it easy for awhile and you will be all fixed up soon enough. Always nice to have a great doc working with you too :).

11. Nov 7, 2009 at 5:24 AM
    Ridingontrd

Ridingontrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Laughlin,N.V
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4 w/towpkg
    aFe prodry,Dynomax ultra flo ss,Scangauge2,Demello front bumper,BudBuilt skids,sliders(local)AllPro rear bumper,Wet O's cobalt blu,w/halfpiping,TRD logo in gold,R/L hood struts,5150's@10"aal 3 pack,T/C uca,Light racing c/o,1"diff.drop,de-badged,
    Happy thoughts and prayers coming your way.:pray:

12. Nov 7, 2009 at 5:53 AM
    yotarob2005

yotarob2005 Kiss My IFS

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Bryan , Tx
    Vehicle:
    05 D-cab trd sport long bed
    Front Bilstien 5100's Set @ 1.75", rear 5100's & TSB springs, Flowmaster, TRD seat covers, Toyota All weather floor mats, 265/70-17 Michelin LTX AT2's, some Debadgeding, BHLM, led bed lights, 886 back up lights, fog lights anytime mod, Extra d-rings, Toyota bed mat, sockmoney TRD decals, Kenwood 890DNX, Firestone ride-rite air bags, 2 car seats.
    First, I am sorry to hear about your knee problems, I have had some myself this year. We both know they can be challenging. My dad had both of his replaced last year & he is doing great now. Best of luck to you.

About your reconstucted ACL. I had mine REPLACED with a grafted tendion from my shin on 9/4/09, It could not be reaired. Now that I see yours only lasted for 20 years it makes me wonder if mine will need to be done again down the road. I am 29 years old so if I only get 20 years out of each one, I could in theory need 2 more at 49 & 69? Was your originally repaird or replaced?

13. Nov 7, 2009 at 6:34 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom [OP] Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    TY!! :D

Thank you for the info on your dad & am glad he's doing better. :thumbsup:
    I meant my ACL replaced, it was 4/79 when I was 19 & it was a graft from hamstring and done non-arthroscopically sincethe technology wasn't there yet unfortunately.
    I am sure your replacement is much more advanced due to how medical techniques have improved. Plus as a guy, your hips are narrower & your skeleton structure straighter which causes less stress on the knee joint. :eek:
    A previous doc told me even the notch inside the joint where the pcl/acl cross is different from men to women (v-shaped=women/u-shaped=men) which can effect the ligament tearing or not tearing. Obviously you can't predict these things but I hope you get 60+ more years out of your replacement!! Stay strong and have fun :)

14. Nov 7, 2009 at 6:59 AM
    yotarob2005

yotarob2005 Kiss My IFS

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Bryan , Tx
    Vehicle:
    Front Bilstien 5100's Set @ 1.75", rear 5100's & TSB springs, Flowmaster, TRD seat covers, Toyota All weather floor mats, 265/70-17 Michelin LTX AT2's, some Debadgeding, BHLM, led bed lights, 886 back up lights, fog lights anytime mod, Extra d-rings, Toyota bed mat, sockmoney TRD decals, Kenwood 890DNX, Firestone ride-rite air bags, 2 car seats.
    Thank you very much, I hope your recovery is speedy. If I could give you one piece of advise that you probablly already know it is..... Do The Physical Theropy. It is not much fun, but worth it.

15. Nov 7, 2009 at 7:47 AM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    X2 a great doc is a blessing

16. Nov 8, 2009 at 4:53 AM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thanks for the update xedge..uh...oh....I mean Judy, Simon's mom.:eek:...hehe:D

17. Jan 9, 2010 at 6:47 PM
    NorthernTacoma

NorthernTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    10 DC TRD Off-Road 6 speed manual TRD exhaust
    TRD Exhaust, Rear leaf TSB, TRD CAI, Biceman 4x4 Illuminated switch mod
    There is no time line on a reconstructed graft. Assuming your doc put the graft in the correct position your graft, which sounds like they took it from your patellar tendon, should last you the rest of your life. With that being said, you tore your ACL and injured your cartilage at the time of injury. Hopefully you won't ever have any issues from this but their is a chance you will get arthritis in the future b/c of this original injury. Only time will tell. I wouldn't worry about how long your graft will last. You should be just fine.

18. Jan 9, 2010 at 7:23 PM
    Fluffymonkey

Fluffymonkey Token

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport DC, 07 DC sr5, 03 Prerunner
    2003: Stock 2007: Avid Offroad sliders, 30% front tint, bed mat, Truxedo low-pro qt tonneu cover, aero turbine 2525 muffler w/ 8'' tip, AR25 Resonator, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-1 w/ 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2010 headlights, ome 884 coils with .5'' top plate spacer, OME sport front shocks, bilsten 5100s rear, 2'' aal, locking gas cap, LR ucas, Viper 2-way remote start, afe drop in filter, Rocky locking bike mounts, gear chest, scangauge, pop n lock tailgate lock 2013: most things transferred over from my 07, 5100s @ .85 + eibachs and Toytec tps for 3'' front lift, wheelers progressive aal w/ overload; compustar 2-way remote start; Antennex shorty antenna, pop n lock tailgate lock with programmable key, seat covers, Toyota's crappy all-weather floor mats (should have got Husky's or Weathertechs), TRD skid plate, led light pods mounted in front bumper valence w/ Eyourlife wireless harness and remote, led bed lights, light pods mounted in bed, Devil Horns emblem from Diaz Fabrications, rear facing pod lights in bed, under seat lights,

*There. Sorry in advance for being an asshole.

19. Jan 9, 2010 at 7:42 PM
    yotarob2005

yotarob2005 Kiss My IFS

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Bryan , Tx
    Vehicle:
    Thank you for the info, yes it was a graft from my petellar tendon & I feel great now. I think it will last.:cool:

Judy, how is your knee?

20. Jan 9, 2010 at 7:44 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Good luck with your surgery hun...I see knee replacement and knee revision surgery's all the time...its no big deal and you'll be back to 150% in no time :)

Products Discussed in

To Top