Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

Plantar Fasciitis

Old 06-24-2009, 09:09 PM   #1
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Plantar Fasciitis

OK.. so I've had some pain in my foot recently. I did a self-diagnosis w/ the internet and figured it's Plantar Fasciitis (WebMD). I wanted some help from a more reliable source than the internet, so I asked one of my wife's friends - a recent graduate of medical school for podiatry - for a quick diagnosis and some advice.

She wrote a pretty extensive email back to me, and I thought I would share it here in case anybody ever experiences the same pain I've been having. (Read the WebMD article for a good description of the pain, if you're not familiar.)

I also complained about a little pain in my ankle, which she attributed to tendonitis. That's why the last paragraph doesn't seem to fit with the rest.

Quote:
Here are a few treatments that can hopefully help alleviate the pain:

inserts- buy some dr. scholl's or any other kind of inserts to put into your tennis shoes that will give you an arch support. The best would be one that's a little stiff so it can support your arch, but not too hard because it would probably cause additional pain since you aren't used to it. You can find them at wal-mart or any drug store over in the pharmacy area.

icing- take a water bottle and freeze it. When you come back from exercising put it on the floor and use your foot to roll it on the ground. The ice is a natural anti-inflammatory and will help decrease the inflamation that's causing your pain around your heel. The massage of the bottle will help stretch out the fascia too. The fascia is too tight and when you run your arch collapses, causing the fascia to stretch and tear.

ibuprofen/tylenol- take as directed on a continuous basis for 2 weeks whether you have pain or not. This will also decrease the inflammation. If you have stomach problems (acid reflux, ulcers) then don't, but I doubt you do.

stretching- like I said before, the fascia is too tight and needs to be stretched so sit on the floor and keep legs straight out in front of you. Roll up a towel and place it at the ball of your foot and pull back, you should feel the stretch in your calves/achilles tendon. Also, find some steps and hang your heels off the step, also stretching your calves (this indirectly helps the fascia).

As for the tendonitis, an ankle brace would help keep it stable until it can heal. Wear it while running/working out. Icing it may also help. You can try the elliptical, but if that's too painful the stationary bike is a good alternative. I would try that first, especially while everything is trying to heal because it will only get worse if you keep exacerbating it.

I hope this helps! Let me know how it goes or if there's anything else.
Aren't Doctor friends great?!? I've done the stretching, the ice, and the anti-inflammatory medicine today and it already feels better.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:14 AM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Yup....

My husband has that condition also. I bought about 4 sets of inserts for his many shoes he has for work. It's most 'annoying' to him when he gets up after sitting for too long.

I get a little bit of that also - after sitting is when its noticable.

It's a very common condition.

Thanks for posting!

** Another Stretch **

Standing up ....You wanna act like you're trying to PUSH the wall forward. Put hands on the wall about 4' (or more, whichever is comfortable) away from your feet position. With one leg bent while the other is stretched. Dipping down accordingly to stretch that heel of your foot (hard to explain).
Old 06-25-2009, 05:21 AM   #3
Ty's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud of

Name: Tyler
Ty's Taco's Tacoma Gallery
One thing to add. With any tendonitis it normally takes as long to get over it as it did to get it so continue to do all of the exercises and ice even after a week of no problems or it could return. Plantar fascitis can turn into heel spurs if left untreated over a long period of time so do the therapy and you're good to go. Also use a coke bottle for the ice because of the trademark specific shape of Coka Cola bottles they tend to conform to the natural shape of your foots arch.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:51 AM   #5
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
I've had it twice several years apart... I did the exercises and wore arch supports for a long time (even after it got better) to make sure it didn't come back anytime soon. Couldn't handle the shoe inserts, but the stretchy supports were good and it didn't matter what kind of shoes you had on.