Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

Back to the old lifestyle!

Old 08-27-2009, 08:05 PM   #1
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Back to the old lifestyle!

Now that I am back in school I have to go back to my old lifestyle. I eat a ton of calories but extremely healthy. If I have a craving for some grease I have to eat it before noon. Then every night is 2.5 hours of training, ending with conditioning.

Its funny the whole practice at 8 pm every day makes me never ever want to eat anything bad after about 2-3 pm anyway cuz I will see it again, or at least taste it all practice.

I want to get in the gym to hit the weights regularly but I havn't had time
Old 08-27-2009, 08:06 PM   #2
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
What sport do you play?
Old 08-27-2009, 08:10 PM   #3
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Rugby, I have been sore perpetually since last Wednesday when preseason conditioning started. I have a lot of work to get my resting heart rate back to 46 bpm haha
Old 08-27-2009, 08:13 PM   #4
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
i try to go in the gym in the morning. nobody is in there, and it really helps keep me focused all day long
Old 08-27-2009, 08:23 PM   #5
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
This is back in high school

This is in college (check how the watermark showed up when i cropped it)

First major injury of my life:

Old 08-27-2009, 08:25 PM   #6
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post

Rotator Cuff, Labrum, or Traumatic Dislocation?
Old 08-27-2009, 08:27 PM   #7
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Rotator Cuff, Labrum, or Traumatic Dislocation?
4 Dislocations I know about from last fall's season. Resulted in a badly torn labrum and he had to remove a lot of scar tissue
Old 08-27-2009, 08:27 PM   #8
Begin With The End In Mind.
carmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: KEVIN
carmellocafe's Tacoma Gallery
Everybody needs their grease! At least that's what my dad always said.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:29 PM   #9
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmellocafe View Post
Especially everything under the sun fried in bacon grease...
Old 08-27-2009, 08:30 PM   #10
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmellocafe View Post
I agree, I get out of class for an hour starting at 11 on tuesdays and thursdays. Sometimes I sneak in some pizza or something
Old 08-27-2009, 08:33 PM   #11
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
4 Dislocations I know about from last fall's season. Resulted in a badly torn labrum and he had to remove a lot of scar tissue
Any preventative strengthening going on? i.e. you've got a rotator cuff strengthing regimen?

I assume that if you had a labral repair there was PT afterward?
Old 08-27-2009, 08:36 PM   #12
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Any preventative strengthening going on? i.e. you've got a rotator cuff strengthing regimen?
This was in january:

My surgeon is the surgeon for the DC United Soccer Team and he was VERY aggressive. He had me doing excercises the day after surgery. I ended physical therapy in may, lifted weights over the summer, and the only weakness now is throwing (which I am doing every day to strengthen) and my shoulder blade muscles are ALWAYS a mess.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:40 PM   #13

Quote:
My surgeon is the surgeon for the DC United Soccer Team and he was VERY aggressive. He had me doing excercises the day after surgery. I ended physical therapy in may, lifted weights over the summer, and the only weakness now is throwing (which I am doing every day to strengthen) and my shoulder blade muscles are ALWAYS a mess.

That's not particularly aggressive, especially not for your age group. Pretty much everyone should be beginning rehab the day after surgery, if not the same day.

Don't let those scapular muscles get away from you man - the shoulder has extremely complex mechanics, and both the scapular stabilizers and rotator cuff are VITAL in preventing injury. In your case, they're DOUBLY VITAL because you have a history of injury and instability, which means you have better odds than the rest of us for recurring injury of the same type.

It won't bother you much now, but believe me, in the mid to late 40s that shoulder is going to tell on you
Old 08-27-2009, 08:42 PM   #14
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's not particularly aggressive, especially not for your age group. Pretty much everyone should be beginning rehab the day after surgery, if not the same day.

Don't let those scapular muscles get away from you man - the shoulder has extremely complex mechanics, and both the scapular stabilizers and rotator cuff are VITAL in preventing injury. In your case, they're DOUBLY VITAL because you have a history of injury and instability, which means you have better odds than the rest of us for recurring injury of the same type.

It won't bother you much now, but believe me, in the mid to late 40s that shoulder is going to tell on you

Thanks for the advice! I should have been more clear about the aggressive thing. He had me in physical therapy in two weeks. My therapist said the soonest they ever had a patient start rehab after a SLAP repair was 6 weeks
Old 08-27-2009, 08:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Thanks for the advice! I should have been more clear about the aggressive thing. He had me in physical therapy in two weeks. My therapist said the soonest they ever had a patient start rehab after a SLAP repair was 6 weeks
They must not see a lot of SLAPs. Ideally, labral repairs (of all types) should begin passive range of motion and Codman's (pendulum) exercises the day of or day after surgery.

That said, many surgeons just wait until 2 to 4 weeks after surgery to begin PT because they can/do provide the patient/family with instruction regarding passive range of motion and codman's before or right after surgery.

You typically can't begin *active* movement of the shoulder until 4 to 6 weeks after surgery, because the stresses on the joint from muscle force will just re-damage the labrum. One of the unfortunate aspects of cartilage is that it's a tissue with very poor blood supply...it heals slowly because less oxygen and nutrients reach it over a given period of time.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:50 PM   #16
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
They must not see a lot of SLAPs. Ideally, labral repairs (of all types) should begin passive range of motion and Codman's (pendulum) exercises the day of or day after surgery.

That said, many surgeons just wait until 2 to 4 weeks after surgery to begin PT because they can/do provide the patient/family with instruction regarding passive range of motion and codman's before or right after surgery.

You typically can't begin *active* movement of the shoulder until 4 to 6 weeks after surgery, because the stresses on the joint from muscle force will just re-damage the labrum. One of the unfortunate aspects of cartilage is that it's a tissue with very poor blood supply...it heals slowly because less oxygen and nutrients reach it over a given period of time.

You are right on, I started pendulums and similar things the day after.

The sad thing is my left shoulder has been subluxing (sp) a lot now
Old 08-27-2009, 08:52 PM   #17

Your spelling is correct.

Honestly, any strengthening exercises they gave you for the right shoulder, you should probably go ahead and do them for the left as well as a preventative measure. It certainly can't hurt you to be stronger.

Chronic shoulder subluxation is usually due to ligamentous laxity. Ligaments are structures in the body that connect bone to bone, and you have several around the shoulder joint. Some people are simply looser than others, it's genetics, and there's nothing to be done about it. Unforunately, it does pre-dispose you to some types of ortho injuries. It's usually systemic - so keep an eye on your knees as well. Staying strong is very important for injury prevention for folks like you.