Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

Don't you love doctors?

Old 11-16-2009, 01:14 PM   #1
TRDSport2006 is on a distinguished road

TRDSport2006's Tacoma Gallery
Angry Don't you love doctors?

I've been feeling really.. well, not normal lately. Lot's of chest pain and drowsiness, not sleeping well though, and get night sweats like crazy.
I finally got to see my doctor today, and the first thing that they realize when I walked in was "Oh, we lost all of your shot records and need to make sure we have those done."
They gave me a shot for chicken pox, Hepatitis A, and Menengitis, which I've already had previously. I was waiting in the exam room, and the nurse walked in. (I didn't know what shots I needed yet) She walks in with three needles, and I ask "Which vaccines are these?" And she replies "Yes, they are vaccines." I was like okay, wow. So I tried another stab at explaning my question, forgot exactly what I asked. She replies with "Yes, one shot in the right arm, and two in the left." I was starting to lose it, and finally got an answer.
Get all my shots, doctor comes back in to finish up the physical. He tells me to reach for my toes. I'm just over 6' tall, so its not easy for me to get down there. I couldn't reach, and he said "Oh you have scoliosis." I was like really? You can tell by not even feeling my spine or looking at it, but just by me not being able to reach my toes? He writes a slip for me to get an X-ray at the Hospital across the street.
Moved on over to another building to get my blood samples done... I haven't given blood prior to today so it was a hell of an experience. A nice nurse comes out, asks if I have drawn blood before and I told her no. She tells me I'm going to have fun.. Sarcastically of course. I don't necessarily have a fear of needles, but I'd raher not know one is being stuck inside me. There are just some things you don't joke around about with a patient, and that made me more nervous.
Hurt like shit. I'm a skinny guy. Woman took a good 2-3 tubes of my precious blood, and afterward gave me a little container to pee in. I forgot about this part before leaving the house, and used the bathroom before I left. Great. So I'm in the bathroom trying to squeeze out whatever I have left in me, and I begin feeling woozy and I'm huddled over the toilet ready to explode.
Luckily for me nothing happened, and I finally got my pee outta there.
I swear if nothing shows up in those samples then I'm going to be pissed. My arms are way sore and I can't even pick up my guitar to play it.

Enough of my sob story, I just felt the need to share. I don't go to the doctors often, but I wish they had treated me a little better.

/Rant
Anyone else have bad experiences like this?
Old 11-16-2009, 01:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
Get a different doctor!
Yeah I gotta work on that haha. I can't even understand what he's saying half of the time.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:25 PM   #4
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
did they tell you what tests they are performing on your blood?
Old 11-16-2009, 01:25 PM   #5
Afwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: B-52 Crew Chief/ Ground Radio MX/ LC-
Name: Matt
Afwrestler1986's Tacoma Gallery
I had a military dentist try to pull out my bottom wisdom teeth. Or so he thought they were, they were in fact my molars, don't have bottom wisdom teeth.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
did they tell you what tests they are performing on your blood?
No idea. Were they supposed to?
Old 11-16-2009, 01:28 PM   #8
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
they usually do, and some tests need your consent to be taken, such as HIV and other STD tests, IIRC
Old 11-16-2009, 01:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
There must be thousands of people with Scoliosis! There are atleast 50 on this rig with me right now.
Which is why I didn't bother to get an X-ray. Even if I have it, there's not much to do about it. Would've been useful information if I knew that back when I was in Physical Ed. Could have got me out of that class easily.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:31 PM   #10
Taco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud of

Law Enforcement:
Taco's for All's Tacoma Gallery
I herniated a disc in my back 4 years ago and I aggravate it every once and a while. About a year ago it acted up again so I went in to get a referral (since my old insurance made me get a referral for everything) and he decided that I needed a full physical. Well he determined that my back problem wasn't a disc issue, but a weight issue. Needless to say I hurt my back when I weighed 180. At the time of the exam, I weighed 230, which was gained over 4 years of going to the gym 4 times a week.

So after about 20 minutes of fighting with me, about why my back hurt, he decided that I just wanted pills so he offered Vicodin. Well this really set me off because I hate popping pills for temporary relief. So after another fight about pills we got back into the other half of the physical that needed to be completed. He then proceeded to ask about how many guns I own and how I store them. He didn't take it too well when I told him I was a police officer and kept everything loaded. After that fight, it moved onto seat belt usage. Someone please tell me what the hell this has to do with a physical?!?!? By now I was soo aggravated I told him to just give me a referal to a chiropractor and I wouldn't be back. He was nice enough to give me a referral for 6 visits. Now I just pay the $40 for the adjustment rather than dealing with that idiot.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm glad that it's not only me that has horribl visits to the doctors.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:33 PM   #11
What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?
moto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
moto932's Tacoma Gallery
best of luck with your doc in the future and with you tests. hope its nothing major.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco's for All View Post
After that fight, it moved onto seat belt usage. Someone please tell me what the hell this has to do with a physical?!?!?
Maybe it has something to do with braking too hard, or the way you sit in your seat. In my old Chrysler the seats were really low, not really bucket but on the verge. It hurt my back like hell after driving for extended periods, and when I had to make sudden stops, it put a lot of strain on my back.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:21 PM   #13
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
Did you go in for a physical check up or did you go in to figure out why you weren't feeling well? Sounds like a strange experience to me.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:37 PM   #14
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Did you go in for a physical check up or did you go in to figure out why you weren't feeling well? Sounds like a strange experience to me.
My thoughts exactly. I go in for an annual physical and they run the full gamit of blood/piss tests. I would suggest you A)Seek a second opinion and B)Plan on having a regularly scheduled exam since you said you've never had your blood drawn.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:57 PM   #15

Thanks for the suggestions. I originally went to see what was wrong with me, but they decided that I haven't had a physical in over two years, so we went ahead and did that too.
The blood/piss samples were a part of the what's wrong with you portion, at least I think. If not, then I wasted some time telling them what's wrong with me.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:18 PM   #16
cntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chuck
cntstan's Tacoma Gallery
No offense to the OP, but here’s the side that most people don’t see. Without getting too graphic…….My wife gets done working a 16 hour day, she gets home about midnight and we want to spend some “time” together. Just when things are getting good, she gets a call that she needs to come back in to work to remove (in this order): a cueball, an apple and a butterknife from some dudes rectum. She gets the trifecta removed and his GIRLFRIEND proceeds to tell her that “he does this crap all the time”. And I can almost guarantee you that she never received a dime of payment from that dude. I agree with you, there are bad doctors. If he wont answer your question, make him answer it, you have a right to know what he’s thinking. If you’re having tests done, ask what they are for and MAKE them give you an answer, you have a right to know. There are some bad doctors but don’t let some self righteous guy like that give them all a bad rap.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:39 AM   #17
Afwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: B-52 Crew Chief/ Ground Radio MX/ LC-
Name: Matt
Afwrestler1986's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntstan View Post
No offense to the OP, but here’s the side that most people don’t see. Without getting too graphic…….My wife gets done working a 16 hour day, she gets home about midnight and we want to spend some “time” together. Just when things are getting good, she gets a call that she needs to come back in to work to remove (in this order): a cueball, an apple and a butterknife from some dudes rectum. She gets the trifecta removed and his GIRLFRIEND proceeds to tell her that “he does this crap all the time”. And I can almost guarantee you that she never received a dime of payment from that dude. I agree with you, there are bad doctors. If he wont answer your question, make him answer it, you have a right to know what he’s thinking. If you’re having tests done, ask what they are for and MAKE them give you an answer, you have a right to know. There are some bad doctors but don’t let some self righteous guy like that give them all a bad rap.
This is true with everything. there is good and there is bad.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:57 PM   #18

Didn't mean to come off like all doctors and nurses were terrible, but it's frustrating when they think they can treat you however they want. Isn't there a website where you can rate doctors or something? I would like to complain.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:13 PM   #19
alteredillusions has a spectacular aura aboutalteredillusions has a spectacular aura about

Air Force: SSgt Vehicle Mechanic/Autobody
alteredillusions's Tacoma Gallery
Well you could always go to a military doctor they will give some motrin and call it a day. doesn't matter what it is motrin will fix it.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:34 AM   #20
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco's for All View Post
He then proceeded to ask about how many guns I own and how I store them. He didn't take it too well when I told him I was a police officer and kept everything loaded. After that fight, it moved onto seat belt usage. Someone please tell me what the hell this has to do with a physical?!?!?
That's cuz the American medical assn is making docs do "screening" for health care issues.

Personally, I think it's pure BS and refuse to ask it of my adult patients. For my peds patients, I ask about bike helmets, seatbelts, car seats, etc. Oh, and usually "any loaded firearms in the house?" If yes, I just say, "OK, well, that's been shown to statistically increase the change of gun-related injury or death. Please be sure you're storing them properly to inhibit access." Then move on. I mean, shit, they're adults. Let them take responsibility.