Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

Crossfit???

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #1841
Jordemo805@yahoo.com
JordanSmith127 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJordanSmith127 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJordanSmith127 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJordanSmith127 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJordanSmith127 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJordanSmith127 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJordanSmith127 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJordanSmith127 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJordanSmith127 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJordanSmith127 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJordanSmith127 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
JordanSmith127's Tacoma Gallery
from like 2 months ago so i have some more stuff in it now (like bumper plates) haha just the only pic i have right now

Old 11-05-2013, 09:36 PM   #1842
Jordemo805@yahoo.com
JordanSmith127 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJordanSmith127 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJordanSmith127 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJordanSmith127 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJordanSmith127 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJordanSmith127 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJordanSmith127 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJordanSmith127 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJordanSmith127 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJordanSmith127 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJordanSmith127 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
JordanSmith127's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleCoug View Post
what's a typical competition like?

See who can squat 135 the most amount of times w/ good form or is it like the ESPN competition they show?
the one i did was on the beach in the RX category we had to do swimming, paddle boarding, various squats with this pipe with a KB hanging from a chain on both sides which was a pain in the ass to balance especially in the sand and then an atlas stone ladder/spring ladder, it was 3 workouts throughout the day then points were totaled up...the workouts are always going to be different, so i guess to answer your question its like the ESPN competition but on a smaller usually less intense scale. one of the big ideas of crossfit is being prepared to do the unknown so its just like the workouts in your BOX they just have you do several of them
Old 11-05-2013, 10:02 PM   #1843
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Like espn man. Haha intense.

Depending on competition you'll do 3-6 wods over 1-3 days. Ones I have been on where 1 day with 3-4 wods.

One had 3 wods back to back.

One was 3 over the full day in heats.

One was a team comp and we did 4 in a day.

Other was also just a day and 3 wods.

One I'm going to this weekend but not participating in is 3 days and 6 wods. It's a team one.

They are usually pretty tough at RX division. But their are usual scaled versions too to compete with people the same skill level. I've done all RX stuff. But my bro did intermediate scaled and had a blast due to he could do the bigger weights.

A big tip is DO NOT do RX unless you can absolutely do all the movements and weights. You'll just get very frustrated or depressed when you can complete something. Even if it's just one movement or weight. Don't hurt yourself. You'll have much more fun at scaled.

But overall. Very fun! I recommend anyone do it that likes crossfit. Like I sad. Very humbling, and you learn a ton.

I'm trying to remember a competition to the tee for ya but I can think of all the work outs...

First one was...

Mini murph:

400m run
25 chest to bars
50 hand release push ups
75 body squats
400m run

12 min cap. Good guys where 6:30-7:30

After the 12 min mark..clock starts for 3 min of rest

Second WOD:

7 min amrap I think..

155lb bar bell

9 dead lifts
6 hang power cleans
3 should over heads

Brutal..

After 7 mins is up 3 min rest..

Third WOD...which I'm struggling to remember exactly...:

Also an amrap..think 7-9 mins

24 box jumps..
12 95lb thrusters
6 barbell facing burpees..these sucked. You hand to jump over the barbell turn and face it, then when hit the ground you have to touch the barbell with both hands before coming back up. Really throws you off on the burpees.

That was my first comp..

Second was 3 wods through the day..can't remember it exactly though..

WOD 1:

155lb bar bell

Movements where hang clean and over head squat. It was I think 21-15-9..or 15-12-9..I can't remember. Had a cap on it too.

WOD 2:

Amrap

5 handstand push-ups
10 pistols
15 pull-ups

Wod3:

This was a huge ass chipper like WOD. Had 1 minute at each station to get as many reps as possible no break inbetween. Ill try and remember all the movements.

Burpees
Wall balls
Toe to bar
Shuttle run
Pull up
325lb prower push and pull..25'
Double unders
Box ups
Kettle bell swings
Tire flips

Think that was it...
Old 11-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #1844
Washington State University
SeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Mark
SeattleCoug's Tacoma Gallery
Damn... that sounds gnarly/awesome!
I love that type of shit where you push yourself to the limits cause well, you're gonna earn that best time
Old 11-06-2013, 06:02 AM   #1845
Only women shave beneath the neck.
Tribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
Tribull's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstallings View Post
Thanks for the info, but Bryant is a little to far out of the way for me. I live in Greenbrier and work in LR, so that wouldn't work. I've checked out that website before though. Thanks.
Anytime, I just love building up the CrossFit community. If you're up north that way check out CrossFit North Little Rock. Owned by Jason Hogue. Also a very knowledgeable and dedicated coach.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:07 AM   #1846
Tribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tribull's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
Like espn man. Haha intense.

Depending on competition you'll do 3-6 wods over 1-3 days. Ones I have been on where 1 day with 3-4 wods.

One had 3 wods back to back.

One was 3 over the full day in heats.

One was a team comp and we did 4 in a day.

Other was also just a day and 3 wods.

One I'm going to this weekend but not participating in is 3 days and 6 wods. It's a team one.

They are usually pretty tough at RX division. But their are usual scaled versions too to compete with people the same skill level. I've done all RX stuff. But my bro did intermediate scaled and had a blast due to he could do the bigger weights.

A big tip is DO NOT do RX unless you can absolutely do all the movements and weights. You'll just get very frustrated or depressed when you can complete something. Even if it's just one movement or weight. Don't hurt yourself. You'll have much more fun at scaled.

But overall. Very fun! I recommend anyone do it that likes crossfit. Like I sad. Very humbling, and you learn a ton.

I'm trying to remember a competition to the tee for ya but I can think of all the work outs...

First one was...

Mini murph:

400m run
25 chest to bars
50 hand release push ups
75 body squats
400m run

12 min cap. Good guys where 6:30-7:30

After the 12 min mark..clock starts for 3 min of rest

Second WOD:

7 min amrap I think..

155lb bar bell

9 dead lifts
6 hang power cleans
3 should over heads

Brutal..

After 7 mins is up 3 min rest..

Third WOD...which I'm struggling to remember exactly...:

Also an amrap..think 7-9 mins

24 box jumps..
12 95lb thrusters
6 barbell facing burpees..these sucked. You hand to jump over the barbell turn and face it, then when hit the ground you have to touch the barbell with both hands before coming back up. Really throws you off on the burpees.

That was my first comp..

Second was 3 wods through the day..can't remember it exactly though..

WOD 1:

155lb bar bell

Movements where hang clean and over head squat. It was I think 21-15-9..or 15-12-9..I can't remember. Had a cap on it too.

WOD 2:

Amrap

5 handstand push-ups
10 pistols
15 pull-ups

Wod3:

This was a huge ass chipper like WOD. Had 1 minute at each station to get as many reps as possible no break inbetween. Ill try and remember all the movements.

Burpees
Wall balls
Toe to bar
Shuttle run
Pull up
325lb prower push and pull..25'
Double unders
Box ups
Kettle bell swings
Tire flips

Think that was it...
I've done 3 local competitions. It was a huge learning/growing experience for me!! I signed up for RX in all 3, and I'm glad I did. Here's why:

I was already relatively close to getting the movements needed for those competitions, and doing them in the competition was the motivation I needed to finally get them right. In my first competition it was double unders, my second competition it was something more simple in running (400m), 185# front squats, and 30" box jumps for 5 rounds. I came from being pretty overweight (297#), so completing that WOD was a huge mental barrier for me.

That being said, there is no "normal" WOD or competition. The whole point of most CrossFit programming is based off of GPP, or General Physical Preparedness. Be ready for anything, anytime. That's why the sport resonates so well with most outdoor enthusiasts.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:31 AM   #1847
Because 4R
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
Wishbone Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribull View Post

That being said, there is no "normal" WOD or competition. The whole point of most CrossFit programming is based off of GPP, or General Physical Preparedness. Be ready for anything, anytime. That's why the sport resonates so well with most outdoor enthusiasts.
Well said.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:13 AM   #1848
ambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Burt
ambiguous's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone else doing a Turkey 30 challenge? I've been eating paleo for the last week and getting in 5 days a week. It feels so good! Minus the withdraw and adjustment lol
Old 11-06-2013, 09:20 AM   #1849

Tribull's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambiguous View Post
Anyone else doing a Turkey 30 challenge? I've been eating paleo for the last week and getting in 5 days a week. It feels so good! Minus the withdraw and adjustment lol

We just came off of a 30 day "Nutrition Challenge" at our box, which was paleo-based. Everyone loved it, and most are continuing to institute those eating habits.

I did it last year and got great results from it after some tweaking. I had to add in some extra carbs and fat to keep my energy levels up during my workout.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #1850
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
I have lost a total of 9 lbs since August 2013. But even better, my biceps have never been this big, and not only do I have more definition, I have never been this strong before.

My running has been hurt, but starting in March 2014, I will incorporate crossfit into my running routine. The goal? a sub 4 hour 26.2 For now, I'm enjoying the compliments of dating chicks in their mid 20's My age? I'm currently 41. Life is good, thank you crossfit!

PS: Brandon, wherever you are coaching at, thanks for introducing me to All Pro. I don't know why you came back and left, but I really like that box!
Old 12-13-2013, 11:02 PM   #1851
Toy taco
bluesteel731 will become famous soon enough
bluesteel731's Tacoma Gallery
just found this thread, started cross fit February 2013 and weighed 215 @ 26% fat comp, by July I was 176 @ 16%.The first 3 months I started CF I kept myself on a strict paleo diet with minimal cheating (eating anything other than home cooked meals was considered cheating) and made some significant gains. Prior to starting CF I was in this 4 year relationship that was all eating out and drinking lifestyle, I had initially lost 40 lbs before this relationship, then bam... back in the hole... relationship ended and I snapped back to reality. now I'm in the best shape of my life and lifting heavier than I was in high school. Love the girls since they've brought out the best in me. Majority of the movements I've got down to the tits except ring muscle ups, for some reason bar was quick for me. I even flew to San Francisco and trained with Diane Fu of fubarbell to work out deficiencies in oly lifts, those of you that dont know her she is an up and coming olympic lifting trainer/competitor working in relation with San Francisco cross fit owned by Kelly Starrett which is also the author of becoming a supple leopard (excellent book for mobility issues, highly recommended)

will check back and chat some more, battery in my tablets gonna die soon.
glad to see the Tacoma world has a CF community. chaulk up, throw down!!!
Old 12-15-2013, 01:00 PM   #1852
Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!
AvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
AvsFanTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
I have lost a total of 9 lbs since August 2013. But even better, my biceps have never been this big, and not only do I have more definition, I have never been this strong before.

My running has been hurt, but starting in March 2014, I will incorporate crossfit into my running routine. The goal? a sub 4 hour 26.2 For now, I'm enjoying the compliments of dating chicks in their mid 20's My age? I'm currently 41. Life is good, thank you crossfit!

PS: Brandon, wherever you are coaching at, thanks for introducing me to All Pro. I don't know why you came back and left, but I really like that box!
Glad you are enjoying crossfit so much. I'm not coaching crossfit anywhere right now. My departure from there was not my decision. I never did get a reason, the owner just stopped communicating with me.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:24 AM   #1853
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsFanTRD View Post
Glad you are enjoying crossfit so much. I'm not coaching crossfit anywhere right now. My departure from there was not my decision. I never did get a reason, the owner just stopped communicating with me.

Darn dude, for the record, I think you are an excellent coach. Sorry that things didn't work out between you and Mark. Kinda wierd, actually!
Old 01-16-2014, 09:08 PM   #1855
Goflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Goflight2's Tacoma Gallery
I just started two weeks ago. I think I'm the biggest (6'4", 260lb) guy in there. I am usually about 30lbs lighter, but I don't think that would have helped me! Every morning when I get back from my box, my wife asked me how it was. I only have three words for her "it was hard". Hard to explain to her that I ran until I almost (and I mean ALMOST) puked, did Burpees that , well, didn't exactly look like a traditional Burpee until I was gasping for air. Jump rope, that my sound innocent to some, starts to make you dizzy with fatigue. My team so far seems cool. A bunch of bodied up soccer moms at 5am.
I love /hate every morning that I'm there. Small increments of complete exhaustion, followed by short rest.
My only question is that after I ride a stationary bike for 45 minutes, I'm covered in sweat. Month so much now. Is working out harder, with a higher heart rate,,help more than long cardio hours spent?

Just a newbie looking for answers.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:38 PM   #1856
Toy taco
Crossfit does both, keeps the heart rate up and strengthens you. While the stationary bike may make you sweat a lot, depending of the programs your CF coaches are running the constantly varied movements target other areas of the body whereas a stationary bike will target glutes and hams and burn fat. Eating well also contributes to weight loss immensely in my experience, I've heard a quote even before i started crossfit, you are what you eat, dont be fast easy and cheap.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:57 PM   #1857
Flowingmetal is on a distinguished road

Flowingmetal's Tacoma Gallery
Wow was just reading about Crossfit and the incidents of Rhabdomyolysis. Kinda crazy that a person could even work out that hard. They say Rhabdo is most often seen in bombing and earthquake victims.
Hope you guys are all staying within your limits, I imagine it's more of a problem for those newer to this training method.
Any advice/tips on avoiding these types of complications especially for us new to this type of training?
Old 01-18-2014, 01:03 PM   #1858
Toy taco
I listen to my body and gauge scaling depending on RX weight. But definitely listen to your body and check your ego at the door, no sense in hurting yourself.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:53 PM   #1859
Goflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Goflight2's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the input. Starting to feel more comfortable already. Muscle soreness has gotten much better. (Don't feel like I was hit by a bus at night anymore!)
Every day is still extremely difficult for me, but I feel I am getting more out of it every day as I get the movements down. I made a promise to myself that I would give it 90 days, no matter what. Getting to know the people better definitely helps too.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:34 PM   #1860

Tribull's Tacoma Gallery
The best quote I've heard as far as which program works best for weight loss - "You can't out-train a bad diet." In my book, nutrition comes first. I started my fitness journey weighing 297 lbs. I am now 242 lbs with ~23% body fat. That is in large part due to diet.

That being said, I am not discounting CrossFit AT ALL, or any other methodology for that matter. I love CrossFit. I have been coaching (L1) for a year now, and I never want to stop. But I do respect and see the benefit of a lot of different variations of fitness. Be it endurance running, strongman, powerlifting, track and field, etc. I feel like as long as you are doing something, you are better off than most.

Products Discussed in this Thread