Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

Crossfit???

Old 01-24-2014, 07:33 AM   #1861
Only women shave beneath the neck.
Tribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
Tribull's Tacoma Gallery
PR'd Fran last night!! 3:25

PR'd deadlift this morning!! 415 x 5

It's been a good week!!
Old 01-24-2014, 07:41 AM   #1862
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: National Guard: Infantry/ROTC Cadet
Name: Cam
ChamYota's Tacoma Gallery
Been doing crossfit for a little under 2 weeks now, it's awesome end of story. Still haven't figured out my PR's yet. lol
Old 01-24-2014, 12:45 PM   #1863
Tribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tribull's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChamYota View Post
Been doing crossfit for a little under 2 weeks now, it's awesome end of story. Still haven't figured out my PR's yet. lol
I wouldn't worry about any PR's for about the first three months. I know it sucks and it's hard, and you have to listen to everybody talk about their new PR's, but it is MUCH more important for you to focus on learning all of the movements. Especially the Olympic lifts. Make sure your form is tight on the simple stuff too (squats, deadlifts). That way, when the time comes for you to test your PR, you'll know exactly what to do. You will have already trained your body how to move. Much less risk of injury, and much greater chance of moving some big weight.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:04 PM   #1864
Toy taco
bluesteel731 will become famous soon enough
bluesteel731's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribull View Post
PR'd Fran last night!! 3:25

PR'd deadlift this morning!! 415 x 5

It's been a good week!!
fawk.... my fran PR was 6:35 and that was 9 months into crossfit. probably be another 6-9 months before I get to sub 5.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:07 AM   #1865

Tribull's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesteel731 View Post
fawk.... my fran PR was 6:35 and that was 9 months into crossfit. probably be another 6-9 months before I get to sub 5.
Just keep after it and you'll get it! When I started my Fran time was a little over 7 minutes.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:10 AM   #1866
SteveBelcher is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
SteveBelcher's Tacoma Gallery
Why is Crossfit so expensive?
Old 01-26-2014, 08:20 AM   #1867
My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!
rmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Ryan
rmb_crew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBelcher View Post
Equipment is pricey! Go to Rogues website and just start looking around.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:40 AM   #1868
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: National Guard: Infantry/ROTC Cadet
Name: Cam
ChamYota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBelcher View Post
i pay 80$/month.. Thats cheap as hell.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:10 PM   #1869
SteveBelcher is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
SteveBelcher's Tacoma Gallery
I was paying 150.00a month
Old 01-26-2014, 09:26 PM   #1870
Toy taco
Ive seen price ranging from 80 from the above post to 260 a month. 80 is a steal!!!!
I pay 160 a month unlimited classes, Saturday is a make up day for missed week day WODs and oly class, Sunday are drop ins to work on skills and demo PR's to coaches if you've improved and want to step up.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:43 AM   #1871

Tribull's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagen View Post
Its no more than outfitting a standard gym...actually it would be cheaper. The real price is going to be paying the "coaches" and the affiliation fee. If you have never had training with olympic lifts then it might be worth going to a box and learning (assuming you find one that actually teaches good form). I would pay for an actual olympic lifting coach and then once you have decent form and comfort with the lifts, you can move to a cheaper gym and run circuits which is all crossfit is.

Crossfit doesn't require fancy equipment, coaches, or workout partners. I refuse to pay even the low $50 a month for students here and instead bought my own equipment.

The price is high because it is a fad and the demand is there.
The affiliation price isn't that much. It is used to pay the coaches. Because you do get coaches. That is the glaring difference between CrossFit and just your run of the mill gym. You have your own personal trainer, and in most cases nutrition coach.

As far as not needing coaches, I disagree. Most of the movements done in CrossFit do require coaching on some level. Especially if you have someone who comes in who has never done a squat correctly in their life, and has zero body awareness. They don't know what "right" or "wrong" movement feels like. But that's not all a coach does. We are there to cultivate a community and keep you motivated to reach levels of fitness that you have never reached before. I think it is sad that most human beings will never truly realize what fitness feels like. I'm sure you have noticed the giant influx of gym goers around the first of every year. They come in for a few weeks, wanting to get that level of fitness. Then they slowly taper off, and they go back to their old ways. That is because they are all alone, they have no support system, no community to lean on. No one to keep them motivated. And let's face it, that's what some people need.

So, fad or not, I think the steps that CrossFit has taken to make fitness mainstream and "cool" are awesome. I don't know about you guys, but I don't like living in the fattest country in the world. We're better than that. We just have to work for it.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:33 PM   #1872
SpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SpeedoJosh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
As far as coaching goes I don't trust the coaches with just a crossfit certification.

The community used to be heavy on DIY's and being able to build an effective gym under $1000.
Yep, I started back in 07ish. Completely different crowd now. I stopped following it about 2 years ago. Couldn't take it anymore. Filled with dudes with a weekend course that think they are an expert in olympic and power lifts. Prices sky rocketed. Programming went to shit. People stopped caring about building and progression.

Now it seems like the goal is to skip the fundamentals and go straight for one rep maxes with shit form, or do some 30 min met con that is thrown together without any thought. "Ok, today's workout is going to be 10 HSPU, 15 thrusters, 20 push jerks, 25 wall balls, 30 knees to elbows for 4 rounds." 10 minutes into the workout people are wondering why their shoulders hurt, while the "coaches" encourage them to continue to press the weight and roast their shoulders at the same time.

No thanks.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:39 PM   #1873

Tribull's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I realize my post probably came off as almost bashing crossfit and I didn't intend that. I think the community is awesome and some people may need that person next to them to challenge them. The fact that someone is there to watch you is worth it as a beginner. I also like the fact that many people are ok with workouts being filmed which can then be viewed later for form/speed correction.

As far as coaching goes I don't trust the coaches with just a crossfit certification. I have a friend that got certified and he was not impressed with it. He is certainly not at a level to tell someone how to squat, clean, or snatch. I also want to say that this is not just an issue with crossfit but with any type of fitness. The term "expert" has turned into whoever has the cash and has put a small amount of time studying for a test. I have friends who claim to be personal trainers but couldn't begin to tell me how the body actually functions. They have the papers though and make a decent amount off the community.

I haven't got to talk to the trainers here very much but most are younger than me (I am 23 and most of them are 20ish). Another girl I know just got asked to become one as soon as she gets certified. She has worked out for a year of her life and only with crossfit. I believe coaches of any sport should have to study for years and have a broad knowledge at that.

As far as cost, I think another thing that happens is they have to limit the amount of people per class. I think a total of 20 can work out at the box here (they just relocated so it might be more now), but at a standard gym it could have 100 people working out at the same time with room for more.

Again, I think it’s great for what it has brought to the fitness community. I have been doing it since I was in 8th grade. Most people had never even heard of it but that’s how I was training in off season for wrestling. That was when it was more so based out of a garage for most people and done with a partner that was as crazy as you haha. That may also be why I refuse to pay for something that was once a very cheap and effective way to better yourself. The community used to be heavy on DIY's and being able to build an effective gym under $1000.

Well said and mostly agreed. I'm sure you've figured out by now that I am an L1 trainer. One of the things they tell you at the certification is that an L1 is NOT meant to prepare you to be a coach. It is a general overview of CrossFit. That being said, the man I coach for (and I only coach part time, four nights a week) has a Bachelor's in Kinesiology, and four years of college coaching experience. He was also a competitive Oly lifter and is USAW certified. He does all of our programming, and does it well. I only coach under his tutelage. I do not pretend to know everything about everything. I am very blunt with our athletes when it comes to my lack of knowledge, and they respect me more for it. What it all comes down to, in my opinion, is personal responsibility. If someone doesn't know something, they shouldn't pretend to. Especially for monetary gain, and especially when someone else's health/well being is at stake.

So, everyone out there, do your research on your coaches. Don't be afraid to ask them what their qualifications are. Find someone who knows what the fuck they're doing!

And as for the guys that do pretend they know what they're doing, please don't let them keep you from coming and trying something that could plotentially change your life!
Old 02-19-2014, 08:48 PM   #1874
goonsquad08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoonsquad08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoonsquad08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoonsquad08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoonsquad08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoonsquad08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoonsquad08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoonsquad08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoonsquad08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoonsquad08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoonsquad08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Landon
goonsquad08's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure what's already been said or covered in the previous 95 pages...but I've been around Crossfit for roughly 3 years now. Seeing it develop and grow has had its positives and negatives.

Programming and gym quality has decreased immensely. There are still plenty of good gyms out there, I would suggest going and dropping in at each one in your area for a week and see what their coaching staff and programming is like before committing long term.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:49 PM   #1875
Because 4R
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
Wishbone Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone competing in the open?
Old 02-24-2014, 08:55 PM   #1876
mtnmedic is on a distinguished road
mtnmedic's Tacoma Gallery
Sure am! Any guesses as to what the first WOD will be?
Old 02-25-2014, 06:47 AM   #1877

Tribull's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone Runner View Post
Absolutely!! I have a feeling the first WOD will have some 30" box jumps in it. Maybe some burpee box jumps...
Old 02-25-2014, 10:26 AM   #1878
Because 4R
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
Wishbone Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribull View Post
Absolutely!! I have a feeling the first WOD will have some 30" box jumps in it. Maybe some burpee box jumps...
LOL, just did a pile of BBJs last night, not fun. I have gained considerable strength and skills from last year, lookin forward to seeing how I compare this year.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:50 AM   #1879

Tribull's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
LOL, just did a pile of BBJs last night, not fun. I have gained considerable strength and skills from last year, lookin forward to seeing how I compare this year.
I have tried to get better all around, but I tend to lean more towards strength work. I have never liked metcons above 5 minutes (I weigh 230lbs). I plan on doing the fist Open WOD on Friday night, then on Saturday we are going to do the Adam Brown Hero WOD in Little Rock. Yikes!!
Old 02-25-2014, 08:33 PM   #1880
Toy taco
Quote:
I'am

on a side note I did navy seal on sunday 50 thrusters 30 pull ups and 1000m row in 7:10Rx
then did a max effort 500m the next day and did 1:36.2