Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

Jakes workout thread!

Old 02-15-2010, 08:27 PM   #1
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
Jakes workout thread!

ok so, i have been active my whole life with surfing, skateboarding etc etc.. but i have never in my life worked out... so roughly 5 weeks ago i started doing parkour. For those of you who dont know parkour is getting from a to b the quickest most efficient way possible using only the tools of your body and the obsticles in place. Parkour is a very physically demanding "lifestyle" (Traceurs (people who do parkour) dont like to call it a sport so i guess ill call it a lifestyle. Since it literally changed my life) because it calls for lots of upperbody strength.

Upper body strength is definatley my weakness when it comes to strength and my body. With that being said i have a conditioning/workout schedule that i will do every day to build up my upper body strength. The reason im making this thread is so i can keep myself in check for working out everyday.

I have progressed a lot in the last 5 weeks of working out, for example before i started working out i could do one push up, two on a good day. Now i can do 25 in one setting. I could only do 2 pull ups now i can knock out 8 before i have to start kicking my legs lol.

My Body: im 6' 3" 174lbs

My workout everyday (note i am mainly focusing on endurance and upper body strength): 500 jumprope (1 set of 200 3 sets 0f 100). 20 "step up" push ups (its where i start on a step andd i push up and jump to the step above it then come back down to the step below it). 50 Dips. 30 "pop ups" (where i pop myself up a roughly 4.5' wall in my back yard using just my arms). 15 "wall ups" (if you know what a muscle up is.. well its basically the second half of a muscle up over and over again.) And 3 sets of 4 pull ups. then a mile run at the end to build up endurance.

there it is please note i dont know any names for the workouts so what i called it could most likely be wrong haha. and i dont wanna do weights yet because i want to develop a muscle memory so i can pull myself up easily like on a wall or something.

so if you think i should add anything in my work out please let me know.
and i will update this thread with my progress.

Thanks for reading!
~Jake
Old 02-15-2010, 09:56 PM   #2
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Old 02-15-2010, 09:59 PM   #3
( . )( . )
Stillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: J.D.
Stillfly199's Tacoma Gallery
Climbing over a hand rail isnt parkour Good for you man
Old 02-15-2010, 10:08 PM   #4
tacomaparty is on a distinguished road
tacomaparty's Tacoma Gallery
calisthenics, youtube has a lot of workouts i suggest you look into. if you can get a perfect pull up bar that would be a cheap investment, i think you can get one for 10 15 bucks at kmart/big lots.

a pull up bar can go a long way. works out your arms, back, core.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:20 PM   #5
rednorseman is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Name: Jesse
rednorseman's Tacoma Gallery
www.crossfit.com
check it out.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:30 AM   #6
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaparty View Post
calisthenics, youtube has a lot of workouts i suggest you look into. if you can get a perfect pull up bar that would be a cheap investment, i think you can get one for 10 15 bucks at kmart/big lots.

a pull up bar can go a long way. works out your arms, back, core.
i do have a pull up bar its VERY useful
Old 02-16-2010, 09:32 AM   #7
Panda Jerk

THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillfly199 View Post
Climbing over a hand rail isnt parkour Good for you man
lol thanks J.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednorseman View Post
www.crossfit.com
check it out.
thanksk man i will definatley check that out!
Old 02-16-2010, 09:33 AM   #8
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Ohh, it's the deep burn. Oh, it's so deep. Oh, I can barely lift my right arm 'cause I did so many. I don't know if you heard me counting. I did over a thousand.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:40 AM   #9
T-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T-rev's Tacoma Gallery
Get an Iron Gym!
Old 02-16-2010, 12:07 PM   #10
Panda Jerk

THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337Taco View Post
Ohh, it's the deep burn. Oh, it's so deep. Oh, I can barely lift my right arm 'cause I did so many. I don't know if you heard me counting. I did over a thousand.
I havnt been able to make it to the gym so i have been forced to sculpt my guns in the office... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-rev View Post
Get an Iron Gym!
this is what i have lol its pretty much the same thing isnt it?

Old 02-16-2010, 12:12 PM   #11
Its_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
Its_Taco_Time's Tacoma Gallery
LOL how did you surf and could never do a push up?? I mean you gotta get from paddling to your feet somehow...

X2 on the calisthenics, you will gain good leg strength

What do you do for abs?
Old 02-16-2010, 12:14 PM   #12
tmat has a spectacular aura abouttmat has a spectacular aura abouttmat has a spectacular aura about

Name: Treavor
tmat's Tacoma Gallery
Grip training Jake! Believe me, don't do pull ups on those bars man. c'moon. If you're going to do pull ups do towel pull ups. muuuch better. Other than that, if you just do parkour, you'll get stronger without having to do all those pushups and what not. But serioulsy consider incorporating some grip training. Here you go:

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a..._grip_training
Old 02-16-2010, 12:16 PM   #13
MikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
MikeyD's Tacoma Gallery
You should do alot of explosive work outs. The stuff you are doing is good. I use too go to a strength coach for wrestling and we didnt use one weight and i got extremely strong from it. I use to use sand bags tires ropes, sledge hammers. hand stand push ups, muscle ups, deep body weight squats and squat jumps, lunges, kettle bells. For the stuff you want to do dont use weights. all my friends use weights and make fun of me bc of the work outs i do. Last month they got me on a bench press to see how much i can do and i did 355 weighing only 170. They were shocked now they all do push ups and pull ups. Keep the hard work up and good luck!
Old 02-16-2010, 12:19 PM   #15
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Jake, I've seen this Parkour stuff on TV...Its awesome! It looks like so much fun!
Old 02-16-2010, 12:20 PM   #16
MikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
MikeyD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmat View Post
Grip training Jake! Believe me, don't do pull ups on those bars man. c'moon. If you're going to do pull ups do towel pull ups. muuuch better. Other than that, if you just do parkour, you'll get stronger without having to do all those pushups and what not. But serioulsy consider incorporating some grip training. Here you go:

towel pull ups are sick. I love them.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:22 PM   #17
tmat has a spectacular aura abouttmat has a spectacular aura abouttmat has a spectacular aura about

tmat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyD View Post
You should do alot of explosive work outs. The stuff you are doing is good. I use too go to a strength coach for wrestling and we didnt use one weight and i got extremely strong from it. I use to use sand bags tires ropes, sledge hammers. hand stand push ups, muscle ups, deep body weight squats and squat jumps, lunges, kettle bells. For the stuff you want to do dont use weights. all my friends use weights and make fun of me bc of the work outs i do. Last month they got me on a bench press to see how much i can do and i did 355 weighing only 170. They were shocked now they all do push ups and pull ups. Keep the hard work up and good luck!
Yes! I couldn't have said it better myself! I was just going to post another reply saying that even though you don't go to the gym You should do some form of a squat (which is thee...THEE most beneficial workout you will ever do). Wow I'm at loss of words, listen to this guy! Explosive workouts all the way!
Old 02-16-2010, 12:23 PM   #18
Panda Jerk

THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Its_Taco_Time View Post
LOL how did you surf and could never do a push up?? I mean you gotta get from paddling to your feet somehow...

X2 on the calisthenics, you will gain good leg strength

What do you do for abs?
dude i have no ideah i have been surfing since i was 11 so about 7 years now and i (not to egotistical) am good haha so i have no idea! and as for leg workouts i mountain bike a lot my legs are like rocks lol but i am gonna start doing some QM's on stairs which will work out everything haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmat View Post

awesome thanks a lot man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyD View Post
thanks a lot man yeah my short term goal is to do a muscle up hopefully i can work that out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post
Jake, I've seen this Parkour stuff on TV...Its awesome! It looks like so much fun!
its soooooo much fun!
Old 02-16-2010, 12:24 PM   #19

tmat's Tacoma Gallery
Hahaha. Mike. I love how we both agree on shit. I used to be way into bodybuilding. I'm 5'11" and at my prime I was 190lbs. Which, I think is pretty heavy, I really wasn't fat at all.
Oh and btw Jake! before you start looking at all these programs and making up new ones the number one thing you have to take into consideration is nutrition nutrition nutrition. In order for any of these workouts to do you any good at all you have to eat right.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:25 PM   #20
Jigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jigzor's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.insanity-workout.org/