1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone grind their teeth?

Discussion in 'Health' started by Stillfly199, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Feb 25, 2010 at 7:32 AM
    Stillfly199

Stillfly199 [OP] ( . )( . )

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    So I had a girl tell me a couple months ago that I grind my teeth when I sleep, I have never noticed it until she said something. ever since then every morning when I wake up my whole mouth hurts and jaw is extrememly sore. I have tried using one of my recently formed mouth pieces from football and it seems to be moving my teeth. Anyone else deal with this?

2. Feb 25, 2010 at 7:38 AM
    akyota

akyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    10' DC trd-offroad mag gray
    none yet
    Yes its called TMJ, i'm not sure what it means but I have the same issue! Stress is a major factor, and coffee atleast for me! If you make it to a dentist they will make u a high strength mouth guard, very expensive though.. Hope I helped

3. Feb 25, 2010 at 7:39 AM
    bigburrito

bigburrito Local Man

Member:
    DuPage County
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD OR
    Demello sliders, fog lights anytime, 265/75R16 Duratracs, 60" HiLift, VIAIR OBA 2.5 gallon tank, FM Super 44, TSB springs, 5100s at .85, bent tailgate
    yes. its a royal pain in the ass. eventually you grow out of it (at least I did) but you will wear down your teeth in the process. and the dentist will start yelling at you for not flossing AND for "nocturnal bruxism". then he will try to sell you a $500 mouthguard that isnt covered by insurance. ah the memories.

just keep up with the football mouthguard until you stop grinding. it helps if you cut off the back part of the mouthguard (the part thats touches your molars). basically you want the mouthguard to only touch your front teeth. leaving on that back peice triggers some kind of biting/chewing instinct which will make your problem worse. at least thats my theory, worked for me, but im not a dentist.

4. Feb 25, 2010 at 7:46 AM
    Stillfly199

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    My mom has the same thing. It just cracks me up because I really have nothing to be stressed about. Maybe i'll have some mental breakdown in the middle of nowhere. :eek:

But in all seriousness, I have a dentist appointment next week I think, so I will talk to him then.

I would like to find one that is a little skinnier. The first couple nights I would spit the mouthpiece out in the middle of the night. Its just getting really annoying.

5. Feb 25, 2010 at 7:55 AM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    I used to do it more as a kid, now I just clench my jaw sometimes when I sleep. Stress definitely seems to be related to it for me. Now I've got bone protrusions in my gums from the pressure. Some day I'll have to have them ground down.

6. Feb 25, 2010 at 8:02 AM
    Przemekmsu

Przemekmsu Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Przemek
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma, SR5 V6, 4x4 TRD Off Road
    K&N Air Filter, WickedFlow Exhaust muffler
    You can also go to any local pharmacy department store (CVS, Walmart, etc.) I got mine from walmart. Basically you have to mold it to your jaw and it works great. They are about $20.00 which is a lot cheaper then if you go to your dentist.

7. Feb 25, 2010 at 8:08 AM
    Snipe

Snipe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road
    The dentist can make you a couple different ones, one is soft and thick, I couldn't wear that kind because I would wake up and spit it out, so they made me one that is hard and thin that you have to soften up with warm water just before you put it in and it fits really snug.

Once you get in habit of wearing them they are no problem.

My insurance paid for most of it

8. Feb 25, 2010 at 8:10 AM
    Carlo

Carlo Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Taco Magnetic Grey
    5100's all around, front at 0 with Ebiach springs up front; Wheelers 3 leaf AAL rear, Spidertrax
    I have this issue, and it has been a huge problem. I clench my teeth so hard at night that I have broken 4 teeth. Yeah, no shit. I have done the 500 dollar night guard, and the cheep drug store night guards. The ones that the dentist makes for you will fit better and will not change your bite. If your sleeping with a football nightguard your going to run the risk of inducing a underbite. If you have medical insurance, get your regular doctor to write you a Rx for a nightguard and the medical insurance will cover some or all of it. Tell the doc that your suffer from terrible pain and explain in detail. Your going to have to cut down or stop drinking coffee/soda caffeine as it really make it much worse. If you do have to have coffee just drink it in the am; and nothing after noon. There are a bunch of other things you can do, including accupuncture which can help the stress, and pain but dont treat the issue. I am heading to a dentist appt today and getting a referral to a university dental school where they are trying some new treatments. I wish you luck, because it can be a very hard thing to deal with. I am 37, and for at least the last 10 years it has been a constant problem for me. I wonder if it has to do with being married....I have been married for 10 years too!

9. Feb 25, 2010 at 8:13 AM
    eordonez

eordonez Living vicariously through mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Dcab 4x2 Black Sand Pearl
    OEM All Weather Mats, wheel locks, Toyota Silver Tube steps.....
    I do it all the time, i just tighten my jaw, specially when playing violin, but also when nervous and stuff....

10. Feb 25, 2010 at 8:16 AM
    Stillfly199

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    See I have noticed that my jaw has shifted forward a little bit, but I didnt think the mouthpiece did it. I knew I wasnt high. I have insurance so I am going to have them give me something. I dont drink soda or coffee so that cant be the problem, guess it has to be stress. I think I just need to get laid or something.

11. Feb 26, 2010 at 8:19 AM
    Carlo

Carlo Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Taco Magnetic Grey
    5100's all around, front at 0 with Ebiach springs up front; Wheelers 3 leaf AAL rear, Spidertrax
    Stress is the largest reason. But, people like us who chench/grind seem to just hold our tension in that area of the body. Getting a massage is something that I was never into; my wife insisted that I get one about a year ago and it was great. You may try that also. Work out, and excerise is a big help too as it helps your body to release the tension. And, yes...getting some helps too.

12. Feb 26, 2010 at 8:23 AM
    Bryan07sport

Bryan07sport Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Smyrna, Delaware
    Vehicle:
    '22 TRD off-road.
    Bilstein 6112/5100. Icon progressive AAL. Overland Torque Tune. Toyota roof rack. Toyota bed extender. Gator trifold tonneau. Bora .75" wheel spacers. 265/75r16 tires.
    Problem solved!! :jerkoff:

13. Feb 26, 2010 at 8:25 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    My buddy has this prob. He has to wear a mouthpiece when he sleeps.

14. Feb 26, 2010 at 8:27 AM
    Stillfly199

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    Hahahaha, I have actually had 2 massages recently, screwed up my back, and it didnt really help. I dont know if gettin any helps because when the girl would tell me I grind my teeth it was after a very fun night :D I also work out everyday. I have my regular appointment with the dentist so I will ask him about it then.

15. Feb 26, 2010 at 8:31 AM
    Bryan07sport

Bryan07sport Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Smyrna, Delaware
    Vehicle:
    '22 TRD off-road.
    Bilstein 6112/5100. Icon progressive AAL. Overland Torque Tune. Toyota roof rack. Toyota bed extender. Gator trifold tonneau. Bora .75" wheel spacers. 265/75r16 tires.
    haha yeah. in all seriousness I do it too. i wake up and realize i was doing it and my whole jaw hurts. haven't noticed any teeth shifting though. And i work out and get some regularly!! but it does suck

16. Feb 26, 2010 at 10:19 AM
    godofspeed

godofspeed Washington State.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 TRD OR DC
    Body Armor front bumper Body Armor rear bumper 17x8.5 Method Bead Lock 35x12.50 Camburg LT Fox coilover All Pro 11 pack leaf Fox rear shock with DSC Allpro frame slider Smittybuilt 9500 winch Cobra CB w/firestick antenna. Hi-lift Smittybuilt air compressor
    I grind my teeth when i go to bed with a buzz from alchohol.

17. Feb 26, 2010 at 10:43 AM
    Stillfly199

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    My teeth only shifted when I wore my football mouthpiece. It sucks cuz my jaw hurts damn near all day long.

18. Feb 26, 2010 at 8:19 PM
    Tsenekos

Tsenekos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Edmonton, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC 4WD trd offroad
    Toytec 3" lift w coils,1.5 AAL,5100's all around,diff drop kit, axel shims,N-Fab nerf bars,bestop supertop,fog mod, weathertech mats
    i grind mine all the time wore them down pretty good. Now I have the $400 mouth piece from my dentist, I grind on that instead of my teeth now. Its all stress Im one of those people that keeps things bottled up inside so that doesnt help, 420 seems to be the best cure so far.

19. Feb 26, 2010 at 8:21 PM
    Stillfly199

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    Looks like it will be the mouthpiece, cant go the 420 route, im a FF looking to be a cop haha

20. Feb 26, 2010 at 8:25 PM
    Stillfly199

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    Hey hey hey, dont blame that on the blow :mad:

Products Discussed in

To Top