Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

Decided to do a half marathon

Old 03-01-2010, 09:48 AM   #1
AlphaPlanner
thestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud of

Name: Brian
thestrangebrew's Tacoma Gallery
Decided to do a half marathon

So my bro asked me if I wanted to do a half marathon with him. I told him yea, it sounds like fun. Two problems: 1) I haven't ran in about 4-5 mos consistently. 2) The run is in mid-May.

I'll basically be starting over with the whole exercise thing, but I need to get off my ass. My question is, is this too much of a goal when I'm just starting out exercising again? Does anyone have any recommendations for a beginner's training for a half marathon? Thanks.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:33 PM   #2
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
http://runnersworld.com/article/0,71...3233-0,00.html

give that a try. www.runnersworld.com has tons of training programs depending on your timeline and goal. i myself am 2 weeks into an 8 week training for 5k. if i make it through alive that will be the farthest i've ran since high school. gook luck!
Old 03-04-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
Taco.Tim is on a distinguished road

Name: Tim
Taco.Tim's Tacoma Gallery
Running? Forgettaboutit! Walking, I can deal with.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:37 PM   #4
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTgirl View Post
http://runnersworld.com/article/0,71...3233-0,00.html

give that a try. www.runnersworld.com has tons of training programs depending on your timeline and goal. i myself am 2 weeks into an 8 week training for 5k. if i make it through alive that will be the farthest i've ran since high school. gook luck!
I used this plan to get in shape for the seattle half-marathon last nov. decided to run it 9 weeks before race day and managed to run a 1:49:xx (beating my goal time of 2 hrs!).

you can do it!!

EDIT: and i have never been a "runner"
Old 05-31-2010, 09:11 PM   #5
RYNO is on a distinguished road

RYNO's Tacoma Gallery
get on bodybuilding.com they have a good section in there forum that is specific for sport training.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:14 PM   #6
needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....
jefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sex Panther
jefferson's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jefferson
yah, running can be rough. i do about 5 miles every other day.. sometimes do a few laps around Fiesta Island over here in San Diego (8 miles roughly) and that wears me out.. and i get BORED.

Eh, good luck - just get to a point where you can constantly run for a good 5+ miles without stopping at a 9-10 min pace. if you can do that, you should be able to finish with a 12min pace no problem.. Just gonna take FOREVER
Old 05-31-2010, 09:35 PM   #7
6 Double 5 3 2 1
thebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ken....
thebigk's Tacoma Gallery
How long is half a marathon? I do 2 miles every day in under 12 mins...wonder if I could do half a marathon?

Like Jefferson said.....a good pace will work! Don't over exert!
Old 05-31-2010, 09:41 PM   #8
needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....
jefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sex Panther
jefferson's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jefferson
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigk View Post
How long is half a marathon? I do 2 miles every day in under 12 mins...wonder if I could do half a marathon?

Like Jefferson said.....a good pace will work! Don't over exert!
About 13 miles. Try bringing your two miles up to 4 at roughly the same pace. See how you feel. I have no doubt after doing 8 the other day that i could finish a half marathon. (NOTE: I didnt say i'd do WELL or wouldnt hate myself at the end.. but i could finish) AND i do 5 every other day at a 9min pace (at elevation of about 300ft).. if that means anything.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:42 PM   #9
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
My wife does that shit! lol, have fun!