Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

Daily Back Pain? I'm Only 27!

Old 03-02-2010, 05:38 AM   #1
el tráfico más lento se queda derecha
SManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
Daily Back Pain? I'm Only 27!

I don't know what's going on with my back. Over the last two weeks I've woken up daily with back pains that seem to be getting worse. Its right above my hips, about 3" right of my spine. Pain killers help a little but not very much. It goes away by noon and I feel fine the rest of the day.

Its worse if I fall asleep on the couch but I get it if I sleep in the bed too. Before, the bed didn't do this to me, but the couch always did leave me a little stiff in the morning.

Do you all think I should see a doctor or will this go away on its own?

I can't remember doing anything that would have caused this, other than a brake job on a Buick about 2 weeks ago, but I didn't think that was really all that much exertion.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:40 AM   #2
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Get a new bed and go see a chiropractor.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:41 AM   #3
JAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JAG's Tacoma Gallery
Might be a pinched nerve or something... Go to your doctor see what he says. See if he will recommend you to a good physical therapist in the area. Because I believe he will have to right you a prescription for Physical therapy...

You do have the option of massage therapy... but it only helps for a lil bit.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:50 AM   #4
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
^^ what they said. I'd look into getting a new mattress but see the chiropractor first they can probably recommend a good one to get.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:52 AM   #5
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have a history of kidney stones in the family?
Old 03-02-2010, 05:54 AM   #6
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Do you have a history of kidney stones in the family?
I thought the same thing. I had kidney stones a couple years ago. Worst pain I've ever had.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:56 AM   #7
Oh yeah!
rb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rob
rb11701's Tacoma Gallery
+1 on the stones. Very well could be a problem. As you sleep they will move around. Perhaps by sleeping on the couch (which is never good) they get into a more uncomfortable spot.

If it does turn out to be back issues, keeping your core strong will help.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:58 AM   #8
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Explore as many options as possible before letting them operate on your back. I have heard nothing but bad things coming from operating that area. You don't want someone cutting on your core muscles.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:03 AM   #9
East Ender
danb86 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddanb86 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddanb86 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddanb86 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddanb86 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddanb86 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddanb86 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddanb86 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddanb86 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddanb86 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddanb86 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
danb86's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have any pain radiating down either leg? Could be Sciatica (sciatic nerve splits at pelvis and runs down the leg).

I'm suffering back pain right this minute from tweaking my back a few weeks ago. I've got a partially burst disc and occasionally pay the price. In my case, I know instantly when it happens as I suffer a pain so intense it's light a white light flashes through my lower back that drops me to my knees. No fun as it takes days for it to subside...

Definitely see a doctor and make sure you practice stomach and back strengthening exercises (hope you like leg lifts and sit ups, friend!) and stretching routine...

GL and welcome to getting older! The male body peaks physically at 18...
Old 03-02-2010, 06:08 AM   #10
tanktodd has a spectacular aura abouttanktodd has a spectacular aura about

Name: Todd
tanktodd's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy

I'm 38 and have had 3 back surgeries on L4-L5. Sounds like a pinched nerve but that's how mine started too. Get it checked before you blow a disc out like I did.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:14 AM   #11
4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future

4low2go's Tacoma Gallery
Have your doc look into 'diclophenac' for you. It is an anti-inflammatory similar to 'aleve', but stronger, and is only prescription. Worked wonders for my bad back for the past few years.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:00 AM   #12
Oh yeah!
rb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rob
rb11701's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4low2go View Post
Have your doc look into 'diclophenac' for you. It is an anti-inflammatory similar to 'aleve', but stronger, and is only prescription. Worked wonders for my bad back for the past few years.
They gave me that for my shoulder when I had it re-built. I was battling a lot of tendinits (sp?) and I agree, it works wonders. They have a cream you can use as sometimes the pill and cause heartburn.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:20 AM   #13
tuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tuckr2's Tacoma Gallery
Lots of options

If it's still hurtin and doesn't seem to be getting better it might be time to head to the doc. Could be muscle strain. Could be alignment. Chiropractor is a good start if you have one. If it's too painful for that then I have gone to acupuncturist for relief. Then there's always therapeutic massage.
Oh, and before you do all that, consider icing the sore area for a while. Then apply heat.
But hey, not a doc so don't listen to me. I have had to deal with back pain from injuries early in my working career though. Ken
Old 03-03-2010, 02:29 AM   #14
el tráfico más lento se queda derecha
SManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks all for your replies!

I don't have any pain going down either leg and as far as I know none of my relatives have had kidney stones. I've heard about those and definitely would never ever want one.

I talked to a friend of mine who is a massage therapist and she said it might be kidneys as well. She suggested drinking cranberry juice and doing stretches before and after bed.

Yesterday I bought some Ben Gay and felt great after I put that on. I drank the juice all day, did some stretches, and slept with a pillow under my knees.

Its hard to say which, if any, of these did anything but I woked up this morning with less pain than I did yesterday morning. I'm going to set up an appointment with a doctor today and go from there. Hopefully by the time I see him things will have improved?

Ugh dammit I don't ever want a damn kidney stone.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:21 AM   #16
Bangers Runner
GotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
GotLift37's Tacoma Gallery
stay off the pain killers.. when you dont have them you hurt. several pain killers take the pain away but tricks your brain into not fighting the pain. when you dont take them for a few days your brain thinks that your still taking them to fight the pain but really you aint. It takes a few days to get adjusted to not taking them. Do you have headaches throughout the day?
Old 03-03-2010, 03:32 AM   #17
Look away, I'm hideous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SManZ View Post
Ugh dammit I don't ever want a damn kidney stone.
It's the closest a man can come to the feeling of giving birth. And believe me, giving birth to a big old calcium deposit does not feel good. Especially having to use those stupid paper filters to catch the damn things when they finally make it out. It's very painful stuff. I had to have some of mine broken up with those shock wave things (lithotripsy?) but the rest passed on their own.
I hope for your sake you don't have the stones. If you do, drink more water. That was my problem. Now I drink 40-60 oz a day and hopefully will never have another stone again.
Let us know what the doc says. They can tell pretty quick with an x-ray if it's stones or not.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:18 AM   #18
Stay lifted my friends !
Wattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Uncle K
Wattapunk's Tacoma Gallery
Back problem

Doubt it's kidney stones because the kidney stone pain will be constant and not relieved later in the day. Try sleeping on your back with pillows under the legs to keep the back flat. Also recommend a chiro adjustment and a deep tissue massage..May also be related to any changes in your daily work. (alot of lifting, bending etc..) Good luck
Old 03-03-2010, 04:42 AM   #19
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
+1 about staying off the pain killers as much as possible. Massage and Chiropractic treatments have helped me a ton.
At 25-I've dislocated about 1/2 my sternum in a car accident and done plenty of damage due to work- but with an adjustment about every 6-8 weeks and a massage once a month- I'm doing pretty well.
Still get a little sore now and then- but it's limited.

BTW- Sleep number bed did wonders for my back and my sleep patterns...Little expensive- but any good mattress is.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:49 AM   #20
tisher49 is a jewel in the roughtisher49 is a jewel in the roughtisher49 is a jewel in the roughtisher49 is a jewel in the rough
Name: Alex
tisher49's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
Explore as many options as possible before letting them operate on your back. I have heard nothing but bad things coming from operating that area. You don't want someone cutting on your core muscles.
X 2!!! My godfather had a relatively simple operation done on his back and they messed it up and as a result he is paraplegic now. I also have back problems (degenerative disk disease & a fractured L5, oh and im 22 lol) and would recommend the physical therapy (lots of core strengthening and stretching) and looking into a foam mattress. Costco sells a knock off of the tempurpedic which I bought and absolutely love. Good luck with everything and hope its nothing serious.