Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

Cold Remedy

Old 03-22-2010, 12:25 AM   #1
Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!
AvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
AvsFanTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Cold Remedy

I developed a cold over the weekend and was wondering what everyone does when they get a cold.
Have you found something that shortens the cold? One of those old grandma's recipes...
What's the best over the counter product you use that provides the most relief?
Old 03-22-2010, 12:31 AM   #2
tmat has a spectacular aura abouttmat has a spectacular aura abouttmat has a spectacular aura about

Name: Treavor
tmat's Tacoma Gallery
I only use medicine as my last resort. Whenever I'm feeling under the weather (sore throat, runny nose, stuffy, etc.) I always go for a run or I work out. I do run and work out on a regular basis though, so I guess you could say that I don't do a thing. But seriously exercising when you are slightly under the weather has always made me feel a lot better afterward. Oh and drink a lot of water. And when I say drink a lot of water I don't mean drink a cup right now and then another when you are thirsty again. If you aren't peeing every 30 minutes are so you aren't drinking enough.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:32 AM   #3
You think I was rollin out here naked?
ToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MA
ToucanV13's Tacoma Gallery
Crossfit, sweat it out, drink water, and alkaseltzer cold
Old 03-22-2010, 12:33 AM   #4
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmat View Post
I only use medicine as my last resort. Whenever I'm feeling under the weather (sore throat, runny nose, stuffy, etc.) I always go for a run or I work out. I do run and work out on a regular basis though, so I guess you could say that I don't do a thing. But seriously exercising when you are slightly under the weather has always made me feel a lot better afterward. Oh and drink a lot of water. And when I say drink a lot of water I don't mean drink a cup right now and then another when you are thirsty again. If you aren't peeing every 30 minutes are so you aren't drinking enough.
ah teh old sweat it out technique...this usually works well for me too...but usually i try to just man up and deal with it...
Old 03-22-2010, 12:36 AM   #5
tmat has a spectacular aura abouttmat has a spectacular aura abouttmat has a spectacular aura about

Name: Treavor
tmat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
ah teh old sweat it out technique...this usually works well for me too...but usually i try to just man up and deal with it...
if it don't kill ya it only makes you stronger right? haha. or it cripples you for life as my friends would say.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:38 AM   #6
AvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

At work now so there won't be much sweating it out for a while.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:42 AM   #7
Epic Member
tvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
tvbd56's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
do that for the day but for me, if i get a full out cold, take nyquil about 7-8pm or depending what timw you normally go to bed, take nyquil about 2 hours before you want to go to bed and it will be the best sleep you will ever have.

for me that completley knocks me out and im able to get at least a good 10 hours of sleep.

hope this helps
Old 03-22-2010, 12:58 AM   #8
You think I was rollin out here naked?
ToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MA
ToucanV13's Tacoma Gallery
Dude wait a sec, don't you work in a hospital??? Just hook up and IV and BAM! There's your fluids. Then all you gotta do is go lift some heavy shit and run while you do it. BAM x2 if you do rounds for time; there's your WOD
Old 03-22-2010, 12:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbd56 View Post
do that for the day but for me, if i get a full out cold, take nyquil about 7-8pm or depending what timw you normally go to bed, take nyquil about 2 hours before you want to go to bed and it will be the best sleep you will ever have.

for me that completley knocks me out and im able to get at least a good 10 hours of sleep.

hope this helps
sleep won't come until 8am and I planned on taking a little nyquil
Old 03-22-2010, 01:26 AM   #10
Thread Jacker
schiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Caleb
schiz94's Tacoma Gallery
nyquil. its the best. it works
Old 03-22-2010, 01:55 AM   #11
Epic Member
tvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
tvbd56's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsFanTRD View Post
sleep won't come until 8am and I planned on taking a little nyquil
no matter when the sleep is, it should make you sleep soundly
Old 03-22-2010, 05:05 AM   #12
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
To prevent a cold ....take vitamen C regularly.

If you already have a cold, take Vitamen C everyday and Nyquil at night.

Hopefully the Nyquil will work for you. My husband can't take it because it makes him 'wired up'.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:33 AM   #13
O.F.
bb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: JFK Center, Fort Bragg, NC
bb609's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
To prevent a cold ....take vitamen C regularly.

If you already have a cold, take Vitamen C everyday and Nyquil at night.

Hopefully the Nyquil will work for you. My husband can't take it because it makes him 'wired up'.
X2. I don't take it daily but do take vitamin C when I travel and it absolutely works! Sitting in a tube with 300+ people for 20 hours assures a cold without it. Take C immediately if you do catch a cold. Catch it early enough and it will shorten the duration by half.

Nyquil = the bomb for sleeping. Sweat it out!
Old 03-22-2010, 06:39 AM   #14
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb609 View Post
Nyquil = the bomb for sleeping.
Even better....drink a beer with the Nyquil.

Whhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! (laugh)

Yeah, I know...they don't recommend drinking with it but if you're as wired as I am sometimes, you need the extra knock-out punch.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:04 AM   #15
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
When I have a headcold I use a neti pot which looks like a little alladin lamp filled with water & salt solution. Its great for allergies, sinus headaches, getting rid of mucus ...yuk. Kinda of weird to use but works!
Old 03-22-2010, 08:20 AM   #16
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
I drink lots of water and mix Emergen-C with it at the first sign of a cold. I usually dont take much medicine unless i'm so stuffed up that i can't sleep, then I will take nyquil.

I usually just let my colds run their course. Thankfully its been about a year since i've had one. KNOCK ON WOOD. I actually just finished drinking my daily dose of vitamin-c supplement mixed with a glass of water.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:29 AM   #18
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
As mentioned, Vit. C works well. I've also found Cold Eeze (sp?) to shorten the duration of a cold. Take it at the onset of your cold. Worked for me the past 2x. Lots of water/gatorade helps too. And yes, homemade chicken soup!

Now, for a sore throat, I've done shots of Whiskey! Seriously. Sounds crazy, but it has worked. Dont mix it w/ anything and dont chase it. Do a few shots, spacing them out maybe 10 or 15 mins apart and just let the alcohol sit in your throat and kill off the germs.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon's Mom View Post
When I have a headcold I use a neti pot which looks like a little alladin lamp filled with water & salt solution. Its great for allergies, sinus headaches, getting rid of mucus ...yuk. Kinda of weird to use but works!
No thanks to the neti pot. To weird and just plain wrong for me.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:57 PM   #20
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
couple shots of rock n rye.........a lil hot suuce...and go to bed. you'll sweat it all out man.