LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

Working out

Old 04-23-2010, 04:34 PM   #22
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery

10 years of playing wil do that to you. Among other things...

Hoping I can lose a bit of weight from this too since I've gained like 30lbs since I stopped playing 17 months ago.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:03 PM   #23
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Red face

FOr bad knees u may be limited to swimming and cycling for cardio. If the issue is patellofemoral disease (ie kneecap arrthritis, chondromalacia, cartilage damage etc) seat adjustment for cycling is crucial and definitely avoid open-chain exercises such as leg extension machine. If squatting or lunges stay with light weight and only descend to 45 to 60 degrees instead of traditional 90degs. Also IT band does not attach to kneecap and stetching such as crossovers will usuaaly help.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:16 PM   #24
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airun View Post
FOr bad knees u may be limited to swimming and cycling for cardio. If the issue is patellofemoral disease (ie kneecap arrthritis, chondromalacia, cartilage damage etc) seat adjustment for cycling is crucial and definitely avoid open-chain exercises such as leg extension machine. If squatting or lunges stay with light weight and only descend to 45 to 60 degrees instead of traditional 90degs. Also IT band does not attach to kneecap and stetching such as crossovers will usuaaly help.
Cycling did cause me pain in the past, but it could very well have been seat adjustments. Lunges, I have found much pain with those. I'll try doing it at a 45-60 degree angle instead though and see how it goes.

Oh and these are the knee braces I wear. I have one on each. They seem to have helped with support, in the past however many years. I wore them a the end of my hockey career while I played. It helped a lot.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:11 PM   #25
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Airun's Tacoma Gallery
I like those stabilizing wraps. Start out cycling with really low resistance and if your tolerating work your way up slowly. Make sure seat is up or back far enough that when your feet are at the farthest point in the arc away from your body, your knees have just a slight amount of bend/flexion. around 10 degrees
Old 04-23-2010, 11:27 PM   #26
You think I was rollin out here naked?
ToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MA
ToucanV13's Tacoma Gallery
Get some vibram five fingers and ditch those fucking braces. Strengthen your shit back up to how it should be, like our ancestors. All that shit does is make you more susceptiblr to injury. Look uo the benefits of barefoot training. Details how the more expensive your shoes are, the more prone to injury you become
Old 04-24-2010, 11:40 AM   #27

Airun's Tacoma Gallery
those aren't braces...........
vibram 5 fingers......what.......?
barefoot training?????????
Old 04-24-2010, 11:46 AM   #28

Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Those McDavids just simply help stabilize the patella. Many people experience premature wear within the patellofemoral interval due to poor natural anatomic alignment and lateral riding patellae (ie kneecaps sit towards the outside aspect of the knee), or have had a patellar dislocation. This device simply allows u to apply a slight amount of counter-pressure to hopefully mildly improve the way the patella articulates within the trochlea (the groove on end of femur {thigh bone}).
Old 04-24-2010, 11:47 AM   #29
6 Double 5 3 2 1
thebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ken....
thebigk's Tacoma Gallery
I just started going to the gym last week. I do 45 minutes of weights and then do 2 miles on the elliptical machine.
I used to think the gym was a waste of time.
I go 4 days a week on my lunch break (we have a gym at work) and I'm already seeing a difference. I do upper body 2 days and legs 2 days.
I'm not out of shape but since I'm single it's time to get into better shape LOL
Old 04-24-2010, 01:22 PM   #30
kingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kingtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
Day 1: Chest, tri, abs - run a mile
Day 2: Back, bi, forearm - run a mile
Day 3: Legs, shoulder, abs - run a mile

Then start over. Thats if I stick to my routine.
Yup three days on one day off. Every two cycles use body weight only for one cycle.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:29 PM   #31
You think I was rollin out here naked?
ToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MA
ToucanV13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
those aren't braces...........
vibram 5 fingers......what.......?
barefoot training?????????
Quote:
Those McDavids just simply help stabilize the patella. Many people experience premature wear within the patellofemoral interval due to poor natural anatomic alignment and lateral riding patellae (ie kneecaps sit towards the outside aspect of the knee), or have had a patellar dislocation. This device simply allows u to apply a slight amount of counter-pressure to hopefully mildly improve the way the patella articulates within the trochlea (the groove on end of femur {thigh bone}).
Sorry, just assumed they're braces, yet in a way aren't they?

The five fingers and barefoot training will work all your leg muscles and correct deficencies.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:28 PM   #32
Can you skin Grizz, pilgram?
tacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
tacomakid96's Tacoma Gallery
I run 2.5 miles and then do about 40-80 minutes of weights and my weight workout consists of lats tri's bi's and quads