Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

Working out

Old 04-05-2010, 03:45 PM   #1
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Working out

Just got back from the gym. First time I've worked out in 9 months. Man it feels good to be back! For those of you who consistently go to a gym, what is your typical workout routine? I've mainly been doing weights, but that's because there isn't much cardio I can do due to my knees. Just looking for some ideas. Did 60 minutes of weights today working various muscle areas.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:52 PM   #2
jodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonah
jodiddly33's Tacoma Gallery
i usually do back and biceps one day, skip two days, and then chest and triceps. i start with stretching and abs, and finish with lunges or other leg stuff. i do 20 reps of everything, at a weight where i can keep my form and don't risk injuring myself, or looking like a complete douche haha. sometimes i'll do a full body workout but only if i'm planning on not being able to work out again that week
Old 04-05-2010, 03:53 PM   #3
Professional Amateur
JDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
JDMcompliant's Tacoma Gallery
I typically only work out one body part a day. Usually goes like this:

M - Chest
T - Back
W - Legs
T - Arms
F - Shoulders

This allows you to isolate the workload on one body part, working it (nearly) to failure. The days are also laid out in which the previous day's body part is not directly involved with the current day's lift, giving it some rest.

I don't do any cardio, really, and I work out for strength and mass, so I do 5-6 reps max with 4 heavy weight sets, 4-5 exercises per day. It usually goes with the exercise with most stabalizer muscles involved first, and progressively more isolated as the workout continues. (e.g. Dumbell press, bench press, cable fly, smith press). Reason for this is because earlier in the day, while you are fresh, you can push your stabilizer muscles more. As you tire, you can give your weaker stabilizers a break with an isolation excercise.

But, as with all workout advice, take it with a grain of salt...as what works for me may not work for you
Old 04-05-2010, 03:55 PM   #4
krisjw101 is a glorious beacon of lightkrisjw101 is a glorious beacon of lightkrisjw101 is a glorious beacon of lightkrisjw101 is a glorious beacon of lightkrisjw101 is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Kris
krisjw101's Tacoma Gallery
P90x....bring it!!
Old 04-05-2010, 03:55 PM   #5
TREYR is on a distinguished road
TREYR's Tacoma Gallery
I enjoy circuit workouts more then anything...don't need to use much equipment either.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:01 PM   #6
socal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Diego
socal16's Tacoma Gallery
m- chest and tris and abs
t- legs and shoulders
w-off
th- back and bis and abs
fri- cardio and forearms
sat-off
sun off
Old 04-05-2010, 04:02 PM   #7
You think I was rollin out here naked?
ToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MA
ToucanV13's Tacoma Gallery
Crossfit!
Old 04-05-2010, 04:03 PM   #8
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMcompliant View Post
I typically only work out one body part a day. Usually goes like this:

M - Chest
T - Back
W - Legs
T - Arms
F - Shoulders

This allows you to isolate the workload on one body part, working it (nearly) to failure. The days are also laid out in which the previous day's body part is not directly involved with the current day's lift, giving it some rest.

I don't do any cardio, really, and I work out for strength and mass, so I do 5-6 reps max with 4 heavy weight sets, 4-5 exercises per day. It usually goes with the exercise with most stabalizer muscles involved first, and progressively more isolated as the workout continues. (e.g. Dumbell press, bench press, cable fly, smith press). Reason for this is because earlier in the day, while you are fresh, you can push your stabilizer muscles more. As you tire, you can give your weaker stabilizers a break with an isolation excercise.

But, as with all workout advice, take it with a grain of salt...as what works for me may not work for you
I used to do something similar back in my hockey days. Only I'd rotate it out between strictly cardio and strictly weights. I liked doing it this way, but can't anymore. I'll be looking to try out your method for sure! Thanks for the replies guys!
Old 04-05-2010, 04:04 PM   #9
Professional Amateur
JDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
JDMcompliant's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucanV13 View Post
Crossfit!
...I can vouch for crossfit as well. I've been working out with the regiment above for years, and I thought I was pretty fit...took up crossfit at the same time I started jiu-jitsu, and wow, i felt out of shape. crossfit is a true total body workout.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:08 PM   #10
Thread Jacker
schiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Caleb
schiz94's Tacoma Gallery
what happened to your knees? and get to bench press haha. NOT everyone at my school is obsessed with bench. while im over in the corner doing clean haha. work out as many muscles as you can. use a medicine ball that shit works. seated russian twists in sets of 25. thats what we do for football. looks like this. but faster. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5uFIfesXZc
Old 04-05-2010, 04:10 PM   #12
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMcompliant View Post
...I can vouch for crossfit as well. I've been working out with the regiment above for years, and I thought I was pretty fit...took up crossfit at the same time I started jiu-jitsu, and wow, i felt out of shape. crossfit is a true total body workout.
Definitely will look into it. I used to be really into all of this shit back when I was playing hockey and baseball. I just forgot most of it haha. Appreciate it dudes.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:30 PM   #14
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorifuto View Post
Elliptical for 30 min ( I know its an old person's machine, but I have a bad knee and a bad hip so I needed something low impact)

Lat-pull down
Military press
curls
shoulders
abs
lower back
leg press
quads
hamstrings

In that order. I usually do 2 cycles of 3 sets of 10.

And if I'm still walking, Kickboxing, boxing, jujitsu or yoga class depending on the day

I went every single freakin day for 11 weeks then I toned it down to every other day after the doctor said so...

It sucks that my genetic potential for getting ripped is super low... I can bench press 200 lbs, leg press 360 lbs, and I only weight 170 lbs, but my chest are like "A" cups and my arms and legs are still like pencils.

At least I'm healthy....
I used to do the elliptical. Then for whatever reason it started buggin my knees. I need only low impact stuff. Since I started working out again, the gym gave me a complimentary 50 minute session with a personal trainer. So hopefully I can get some tips and info from them as well to help find the right balance for me.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:40 PM   #15
HPaap72 is on a distinguished road
HPaap72's Tacoma Gallery
run from the cops fri and saturday that gets my cardio,
m - shoulders
t - back
w - bi's
t - chest
f - tri's

thats my two cents psh
Old 04-23-2010, 02:48 AM   #16
ToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
I used to do the elliptical. Then for whatever reason it started buggin my knees. I need only low impact stuff. Since I started working out again, the gym gave me a complimentary 50 minute session with a personal trainer. So hopefully I can get some tips and info from them as well to help find the right balance for me.
I hope they're not telling you squats are bad! Whoever is the overall authority on sports (can't remember) actually said you can increase your knee flexibility as well as strength in the surrounding muscles. If you perform a squat the right way, you actually improve your knees to be able to handle loads again. Lots of people give up on squats "because they have bad knees." Well, they have bad knees due to poor form, squats are GOOD for you, when done correctly. It might be a good idea to do a 400m run warmup or a 500m row then stretch your legs/hips real well. Could be your IT Band pulling on your knee cap causing the discomfort. Happened to me, now I just stretch 10min after row or run and continue with a good warmup. Try to roll that bad boy too, it'll hurt quite a bit, just don't rely on foam rolling all the time.

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-squat-...mmon-problems/

Also don't forget deadlifts. They actually used to be called healthlift surprisingly.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:54 AM   #17
FirstCohort has much to be proud ofFirstCohort has much to be proud ofFirstCohort has much to be proud ofFirstCohort has much to be proud ofFirstCohort has much to be proud ofFirstCohort has much to be proud ofFirstCohort has much to be proud ofFirstCohort has much to be proud of
Marines:
FirstCohort's Tacoma Gallery
In taekwondo 6 days a week for my workouts. Great balance of strength, flexibility, and conditioning. My knee will ache sometimes if I have improper form with all the twisting. The horse stance and back stance really strengthen my knees due to the strengthening of my quads and hamstrings. The stretching helps limber up my IT band which is most of my problem, pulling on the knee cap which has very little cartilage left after my surgery.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:01 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstCohort View Post
In taekwondo 6 days a week for my workouts. Great balance of strength, flexibility, and conditioning. My knee will ache sometimes if I have improper form with all the twisting. The horse stance and back stance really strengthen my knees due to the strengthening of my quads and hamstrings. The stretching helps limber up my IT band which is most of my problem, pulling on the knee cap which has very little cartilage left after my surgery.
Dude that shit sucks! As stupid as it sounds, there's a lot of yoga poses that can help
Old 04-23-2010, 04:04 PM   #19
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucanV13 View Post
I hope they're not telling you squats are bad! Whoever is the overall authority on sports (can't remember) actually said you can increase your knee flexibility as well as strength in the surrounding muscles. If you perform a squat the right way, you actually improve your knees to be able to handle loads again. Lots of people give up on squats "because they have bad knees." Well, they have bad knees due to poor form, squats are GOOD for you, when done correctly. It might be a good idea to do a 400m run warmup or a 500m row then stretch your legs/hips real well. Could be your IT Band pulling on your knee cap causing the discomfort. Happened to me, now I just stretch 10min after row or run and continue with a good warmup. Try to roll that bad boy too, it'll hurt quite a bit, just don't rely on foam rolling all the time.

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-squat-...mmon-problems/

Also don't forget deadlifts. They actually used to be called healthlift surprisingly.
I know that if you do the squat right, it'll strengthen the quads and help relieve the pain. I started doing them when I was playing hockey, but then for whatever reason I stopped due to other pains. It'd be a good idea to pick up on it though. My old coach was a personal trainer by living, so he did show me the proper technique for them. Here's a vid of my knees. Both of them are like that. You can see my big ass hockey legs

I just got home form a workout. Did 35mins of lifting and managed to do a 1.5 miles on the elliptical.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:30 PM   #20

Big ass hockey legs x2 bro