Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

Smoking Neighbors... HELP!

Old 04-26-2010, 09:41 AM   #41
"Mark It Zero"
Agent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sergeant, 0261
Agent475's Tacoma Gallery
Someone already said it here... But I was thinking of one of those window plants that you could water... I also like the idea of "chewing while you are on the shitter" and spitting it out the window.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:41 AM   #42
mmmm tacos!
nad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
nad's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
why would you bbq a steak

just throw that bitch on the grill and enjoy its goodness
theres a difference between a grill and bbq? i know my bbq has a grill on it, and thats exactly where my steak is going when i get home.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:41 AM   #43
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
That doesn't sound very appetizing.
Oh, but they are.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:42 AM   #44
mmmm tacos!
nad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nad's Tacoma Gallery
a fan that fits in the window and blows out should also stop the smoke from coming in, i use one to blow my smoke out the window of my office.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:42 AM   #45
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nad View Post
theres a difference between a grill and bbq? i know my bbq has a grill on it, and thats exactly where my steak is going when i get home.
bbq is not the same as grilling

you put bbq sauce on something...or you bbq a big ole hog in a pit...you grill steaks, burgers, hotdogs etc
Old 04-26-2010, 09:44 AM   #46
mmmm tacos!

nad's Tacoma Gallery
o well i call my grill a bbq, and no there will be no bbq sauce on my steak! thats disrespectful to the steak gods. ribeyes marinated with oil and montreal steak spice ftw.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:47 AM   #47
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
o well i call my grill a bbq, and no there will be no bbq sauce on my steak! thats disrespectful to the steak gods. ribeyes marinated with oil and montreal steak spice ftw.
fair enough but i still hold that a grill is not a bbq
Old 04-26-2010, 09:55 AM   #48
"Mark It Zero"
Agent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sergeant, 0261
Agent475's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
fair enough but i still hold that a grill is not a bbq

I agree... There is a huge difference between "grilling" and BBQ.

That's why I have a grill AND a BBQ on my deck.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:02 AM   #49
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
how do they not? I love chicks, too bad they were all sold out this easter!! I havent had any since christmas.. im deprived
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
Oh, but they are.
I just never cared for them.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:03 AM   #50
LIVESTRONG
Bullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bullzi511Tacoma06's Tacoma Gallery
To the OP...

I just read your dilemma and I hate to hear what a tough time you are having with your neighbor. I agree that moving would be the best solution, though not feasible for you.

However, have you tried talking to the apartment manager about maybe swapping to a different apartment unit? It (hopefully) would not cost you any more than you pay now, and could save you all the trouble that you've been facing. It would be a PITA moving stuff across the complex for about an afternoon, but then you would have found a permanent solution.

Also, if I were you, I'd even try to get an apt on the 1st level for the pregnant wife and upcoming 2 additions to your family. I know this isn't always a possibility, but while you were requesting an apt swap anyways, it could be worth asking. And it could help avoid the same "neighbor below smoking" scenario from reoccurring.

Best of luck to you!
Old 04-26-2010, 10:30 AM   #52
jeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Active Duty
Name: Jeremie
jeremiekc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
*shakes fist* im at work!!! but imma bbq some steaks that I have marinating in the fridge when I get home!
They were really good to. Even had fresh sauteed mushrooms and onions!! LOL!!

Sorry to the OP just had to take the time to mess with nad...
Old 04-26-2010, 10:35 AM   #53
Join the NRA! Protect your freedom!
NraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: JT
NraFan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiekc View Post
They were really good to. Even had fresh sauteed mushrooms and onions!! LOL!!

Sorry to the OP just had to take the time to mess with nad...
No worries. Thanks for all the good ideas. I think I may try one of those twin window fans and see if I can just keep the smoke out. Hopefully they dont get too wet from the shower.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:36 AM   #54
Unsuspectingly striking from above
BirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Greg
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Certain inconveniences just go along with apartment living and it won't ever change. That's why people prefer houses. Either deal with it or move. If you choose to deal with it, I would suggest the fan blowing outward.

I'd have to hate you if you sued them. I'm not even a smoker but I'm not going to tell my neighbors they can't be either. If they can't smoke in their backyard, where are they supposed to smoke? The front yard? Then you'll be whining it's coming in those windows. They probably aren't allowed to smoke in the apt.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:41 AM   #55
jeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

If you are in the same area in SOCAL as I was then I feel your pain. I see that you are a Marine. If you are active duty then just request to move onto base. If you are worried about your lease there are things that you can do to get your chain of command to get you out of it. I have lived on post for years and really enjoy it. Yes it can be a pain sometimes but all in all it is really nice to turn on every light in the house and not worry about the bill...
Old 04-26-2010, 10:43 AM   #56
Watching Chris4x4 o.O
borderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Navy: Leading seaman, Electrical Technician, CFFS(E), Pacific Fleet
Name: Jeremy
borderbrat's Tacoma Gallery
cali has a law about everything they have to have a law about smoking near a building use your options.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:43 AM   #57
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
NRA..first and foremost, CONGRATS ON THE PREGNANCY! great news.

second, (i didnt read every comment) is it really a problem yet, if you havent spoken to the neighbors? maybe knock on their door, and explain the situation. hopefully they can make other smoking accomadations. if not, long term..i bet you will have to move. smoke creeps thru everything.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:05 AM   #58
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiekc View Post
Yes it can be a pain sometimes but all in all it is really nice to turn on every light in the house and not worry about the bill...
My tax dollars! j/k
Old 04-27-2010, 10:08 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEVON911 View Post
My tax dollars! j/k
Dang Skippy!! lol!! I think after being deployed as much as I have I am entitled to something. Going on my 4th deployment in 7 years now!!
Old 04-27-2010, 12:04 PM   #60
tuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tuckr2's Tacoma Gallery
Neighbors habit

wow, read all the posts. Left me thinking of options, both nice and not so nice. So you've tried asking politely. Didn't work. Put you in a situation which likely means you move, they move (not likely), you live with it, or you become somewhat of a nuisance yourself.
I would suggest you check the web for ways to minimize the smoke. I did and saw some reasonable ideas such as masking your bathroom fan, fans in the windows, planting some hanging shrubs (apparently takes some smoke out of air), air purifiers and such.

One not so nice method I saw, I liked it so here it is:
Become a nuisance yourself. Set a speaker on the window sill where the smokers are and turn it on whenever they are outside or keep rotten or spoiled fish, prawn shells, etc. and attach it to the outside of the fan or floating in a bowl of water so that the fan blows over it and blows the smell into their yard.

good luck, whatever the outcome. Ken