Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

Smoking Neighbors... HELP!

Old 04-26-2010, 05:50 AM   #1
Join the NRA! Protect your freedom!
NraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: JT
NraFan's Tacoma Gallery
Smoking Neighbors... HELP!

Ok folks, I need your help. Let me start by saying I don't want to turn this into a smoking vs. non smoking thread. We have rights in this country and smoking is your choice. I have a problem that I would like serious answers to. Thanks in advance.

Here is the situation. My down stairs neighbor smokes all day long on their patio. It's right below my bathroom. The smoke comes in the bathroom, into the hall, into the bedroom. Even with the window closed, it still stinks up the place. My wife is 3 months pregnant and it is making her really sick, not to mention any other potential health hazards the second hand smoke offers. I run my exhaust fan and that helps a little, but it kills me on my power bill and it cooks the bathroom. I also can't keep the window closed all day or the bathroom will mildew from all the moisture.

I don't have room for an air purifier. Anyways, california has some law against them because they pollute or some crap. I was thinking about fitting a charcoal filter into the window opening with the wondow about half open. Then I was going to weatherstrip and silicone the crap out of the window to seal it off. I thought this would allow some air flow without letting the smoke in. I don't know what to do. I have talked to the neighbors and the landlord and have gotten nowhere. Any ideas?
Old 04-26-2010, 05:53 AM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Air purifiers are illegal because they pollute?

Sorry, but that would have been my suggestion.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:56 AM   #3
Join the NRA! Protect your freedom!
NraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: JT
NraFan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallyman89 View Post
Already talked to manager and neighbors. Not sure what else you can do other than move. Check out this link for various room air purifiers.

http://www.allergybuyersclubshopping...purifiers.html

Would one of the fit/work?
Thanks. Ill check it out. Problem is I dont think I should have to move. I dont want to take it too far, but I know every lease in California says you cannot impact the quality of life of your neighbors. I dont want to sue, but I cant get them to cooperate at all. Thats why I am trying to figure something out.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:57 AM   #4
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Try a box fan in the window blowing the air out?
Old 04-26-2010, 06:15 AM   #5
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
How about MOVING OUT, and getting on with your life.

Wow, what an idea
Old 04-26-2010, 06:21 AM   #6
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with the box fan. Open a window on the opposite side of the building and allow the air to flow through. Yes, it will run up your electric a bit but it's still cheaper than moving.

Suing is not the answer. You will only make it worse for yourself because you will still live next to them. Who will you blame when your truck is keyed one day? You don't want to have to live knowing they could retaliate someday.

Or...MOVE!
Old 04-26-2010, 06:25 AM   #7
Shack is one of the sharper tools in the shedShack is one of the sharper tools in the shedShack is one of the sharper tools in the shedShack is one of the sharper tools in the shedShack is one of the sharper tools in the shedShack is one of the sharper tools in the shedShack is one of the sharper tools in the shedShack is one of the sharper tools in the shedShack is one of the sharper tools in the shedShack is one of the sharper tools in the shedShack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lane
Shack's Tacoma Gallery
Start dumping poop and piss out of yor chamber pot onto their patio when they are smoking. Call a councilman or local representative. I would not be happy either. I hate neighbors...
Old 04-26-2010, 06:28 AM   #8
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
When you choose to live in an Apartment, there are things you just have to deal with.

Find a cozy house to rent, you'll be happy!
Old 04-26-2010, 06:30 AM   #9
brettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
brettb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by neontrail View Post
How about MOVING OUT, and getting on with your life.

Wow, what an idea
Wow, what a dick. He came here for help on what to do, for serious answers. He wants to do something to keep the smoke a minimum, and if you can read, he said he's not going to move. Way don't you grow a pair and stop being a dick?
Old 04-26-2010, 06:31 AM   #10
Trigger has much to be proud ofTrigger has much to be proud ofTrigger has much to be proud ofTrigger has much to be proud ofTrigger has much to be proud ofTrigger has much to be proud ofTrigger has much to be proud ofTrigger has much to be proud of
Trigger's Tacoma Gallery
Smith & Wesson M&P AR15?

Old 04-26-2010, 06:34 AM   #11
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Bad neighbors suck! But I still wonder how is it coming in even when the window is closed? Are they smoking in the apt also? I would agree with the box fan in the window too, and the fan does'nt use that much electric. I actually smoke, but I don't smoke inside of my own house cause believe it or not I hate the smell!. Go figure. Don't smoke in the Taco either!
Old 04-26-2010, 06:34 AM   #12
takern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: marine corps
Name: Tanner
takern's Tacoma Gallery
put in a big ol' chew when they are out smoking and spit down on to them

but seriously, i think a box fan in the window would be your best bet if you cant move out. i would say move out is the best option though considering your wife is 3 months pregnant and you gotta watch out not only for your health but hers and the baby's as well.

i saw the EGA under your name so you might look into base housing if you are still active duty
Old 04-26-2010, 06:36 AM   #13
Where the White Women At?
StZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
StZu's Tacoma Gallery
I would talk to the apt manager and see if they can get the air purifier for you. Bug them alot and make them fix the problem. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:00 AM   #14
Blackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
Blackshirts's Tacoma Gallery
Hate to say it but moving out seems to be best option. Your wife is Preg so you have to think about the little one who does not have a voice right now. For the best heath of the unborn child it would be wise to move. If it was just you and your wife I would say box fan good Idea. Try the box fan and sealing the windows and if you still smell it I would move.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:09 AM   #15
mmmm tacos!
nad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
nad's Tacoma Gallery
have your tried talking to the person? you guys are all talking about moving out over something so little. Go talk to the guy and see if he agrees to smoke further away from your window. I thought it was law that you had to smoke so many feet away from any doors or windows anyways. Im sure if you explain that your wife is prego he will smoke some where else temporarily.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:33 AM   #16
Local Man
bigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bigburrito's Tacoma Gallery
i have the exact same problem, only our neighbors are kind enough to throw all their thousands of cicarette butts on the ground instead of the trash. box fan is the way to go. get that air moving thru the place the opposite direction as the smoke. some days murder seems like a viable option, but it is not.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:45 AM   #17
I'm Not Your F***ing Brother
Paul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Paul's TRD's Tacoma Gallery
At this point, your wife is pregnant. Moving apartments is not taking the pussy way out, it is better for your wife and unborn child's health and in the long run you won't have a neighbor stressing you out, or your wife and baby. Just go, it's not a matter of "i don't think i should have to move" situation.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:47 AM   #18
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Try a box fan in the window blowing the air out?
And create a vacuum pulling the air back in from somewhere else?

Plus the box fan will use a considerable more amount of electricity than the exhaust fan the OP is currently trying.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:51 AM   #19
10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light
Marines:
Name: Dillon
10.21's Tacoma Gallery
I see you stance on this NRAFan. I hate when people jump to the courts to solve their problems. I also hate when people tell me where I can and cannot smoke, especially if it's on my own patio. But, going against all I've said and considering you've gone so far as completely building some sort of purifier around your window (spending your own money on the repairs) I'd threaten legal action. If everyone in the building signed the lease and it says they "cannot impact the quality of the neighbors" and they won't respectively find another location to smoke, then take it to the courts. God, I hate saying that because I hate the judicial system and lawyers, but you've tried everything.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:54 AM   #20
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
Didn't you just have to pull a gun on someone in the same apt building? If not that guy?

I'd open with that story and then ask about being considerate. But yes, people smoke outside, so your stuck with it. Box fan and a nice bird feeder so the birds hang out and shit on the neighbors is always funny if your the one above