Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

A reality check....

Old 04-27-2010, 02:15 PM   #1
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
A reality check....

Im not the healthiest of eaters...... but saw this on yahoo.

Quote:
CHICAGO – Four common bad habits combined — smoking, drinking too much, inactivity and poor diet — can age you by 12 years, sobering new research suggests.
The findings are from a study that tracked nearly 5,000 British adults for 20 years, and they highlight yet another reason to adopt a healthier lifestyle.
Overall, 314 people studied had all four unhealthy behaviors. Among them, 91 died during the study, or 29 percent. Among the 387 healthiest people with none of the four habits, only 32 died, or about 8 percent.
The risky behaviors were: smoking tobacco; downing more than three alcoholic drinks per day for men and more than two daily for women; getting less than two hours of physical activity per week; and eating fruits and vegetables fewer than three times daily.
These habits combined substantially increased the risk of death and made people who engaged in them seem 12 years older than people in the healthiest group, said lead researcher Elisabeth Kvaavik of the University of Oslo.
The study appears in Monday's Archives of Internal Medicine.
The healthiest group included never-smokers and those who had quit; teetotalers, women who had fewer than two drinks daily and men who had fewer than three; those who got at least two hours of physical activity weekly; and those who ate fruits and vegetables at least three times daily.
"You don't need to be extreme" to be in the healthy category, Kvaavik said. "These behaviors add up, so together it's quite good. It should be possible for most people to manage to do it."
For example, one carrot, one apple and a glass of orange juice would suffice for the fruit and vegetable cutoffs in the study, Kvaavik said, noting that the amounts are pretty modest and less strict than many guidelines.
The U.S. government generally recommends at least 4 cups of fruits or vegetables daily for adults, depending on age and activity level; and about 2 1/2 hours of exercise weekly.
Study participants were 4,886 British adults aged 18 and older, or 44 years old on average. They were randomly selected from participants in a separate nationwide British health survey. Study subjects were asked about various lifestyle habits only once, a potential limitation, but Kvaavik said those habits tend to be fairly stable in adulthood.
Death certificates were checked for the next 20 years. The most common causes of death included heart disease and cancer, both related to unhealthy lifestyles.
Kvaavik said her results are applicable to other westernized nations including the United States.
June Stevens, a University of North Carolina public health researcher, said the results are in line with previous studies that examined the combined effects of health-related habits on longevity.
The findings don't mean that everyone who maintains a healthy lifestyle will live longer than those who don't, but it will increase the odds, Stevens said.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_med_bad_habits_survival

i definitely do not get my daily fruits and vegetables.
but i don't smoke or drink.
but i do have poor eating habits. especially lately....working right next door to in n out and arby's isn't the healthiest lifestyle.

the bad thing is, is that i hate veggie's. i can eat a salad but i hate carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, celery etc.

i love fruit... i.e. apples, clementines, pineapple ( ), raspberries, and whats that fruit called where you eat the seeds? and its red? i LOVE those

i do get more than 2 1/2 hours of physical activity a week surfing almost everyday.

but yeah what are your guys' thoughts on this?

would you want to improve your daily lifestyle of bad habits?
Old 04-27-2010, 02:18 PM   #2
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
gupster88's Tacoma Gallery
well i hit an all time high of 194 on my 5' 10" frame in jan. all my clothes were getting tight, i was out of breath all the time. i ate out 32, yes thats right, 32 times in the month of december. so i joined the ymca and changed my diet drastically in feb. ive done it all natural, no thermgenics or anything. just water, fruits, veggies and an hour and a half of working out 4-5 times a week including 30 minutes of cardio.

13 pounds later, my jeans are huge shirts are loose and i feel great. i still want to lose about 10 more pounds then im going to start on building up major muscle. getting back to my baseball/football bod from high school
Old 04-27-2010, 02:19 PM   #3
If you ain't stuck, You ain't tryin hard enough.
blackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jay
blackwatertaco's Tacoma Gallery
I'd like to quit dipping and loose about 25lbs...But it's hard for me on my Days/nights work schedule.

Just take a luch to work with you. It'll save you tons of $$$ and you'll be eating healthier.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:20 PM   #5
dylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT-Santa Clara County
Name: Dylan
dylandercole's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwatertaco View Post
I'd like to quit dipping and loose about 25lbs...But it's hard for me on my Days/nights work schedule.

Just take a luch to work with you. It'll save you tons of $$$ and you'll be eating healthier.
and a dip
Old 04-27-2010, 02:21 PM   #6
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by meteoraman2514 View Post
well i hit an all time high of 194 on my 5' 10" frame in jan. all my clothes were getting tight, i was out of breath all the time. i ate out 32, yes thats right, 32 times in the month of december. so i joined the ymca and changed my diet drastically in feb. ive done it all natural, no thermgenics or anything. just water, fruits, veggies and an hour and a half of working out 4-5 times a week including 30 minutes of cardio.

13 pounds later, my jeans are huge shirts are loose and i feel great. i still want to lose about 10 more pounds then im going to start on building up major muscle. getting back to my baseball/football bod from high school
congrats dude! i have been drinking a ton of soda lately too. which is bad for me because my family has a horrible background of kidney stones

i really gotta stop eating all this junkfood
Old 04-27-2010, 02:22 PM   #7
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
But it's hard for me on my Days/nights work schedule.
i know how you feel, eating on night shift messes your body up so much. i try to eat as little as i can through the night but eat breakfast before bed and a good dinner before i leave for work when im on nights
Old 04-27-2010, 02:23 PM   #8
Panda Jerk

THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

yeah im gonna start making like a turkey sammich and stuff and take it to work. i dont eat out very much anymore....i realized how much it was costing me..... one meal is like an hour 1/2 of work time!
Old 04-27-2010, 02:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Jerk View Post
congrats dude! i have been drinking a ton of soda lately too. which is bad for me because my family has a horrible background of kidney stones

i really gotta stop eating all this junkfood
just take a look at the sugars you are taking in with each can, bottle, or serving of soda. its literally like taking a cup of sugar and eating it each time you drink that stuff. just try drinking water and you will see you can lose a few pounds just by doing that!!
Old 04-27-2010, 02:24 PM   #10
Toyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: JT
Toyota Truck's Tacoma Gallery

Is this what you mean? Thier called pomegranates
Old 04-27-2010, 02:26 PM   #11
Blackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
Blackshirts's Tacoma Gallery
I quit smoking and drinking and cut way back on soda. Its been 6 months since last smoke. I need to excersise more and eat better thats for sure.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:28 PM   #12
Panda Jerk

THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by meteoraman2514 View Post
just take a look at the sugars you are taking in with each can, bottle, or serving of soda. its literally like taking a cup of sugar and eating it each time you drink that stuff. just try drinking water and you will see you can lose a few pounds just by doing that!!
i know!! im not overweight (yet). as of now i'm in pretty good shape. 6'3" 169~ish....but i could definitely tone up a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus Truck View Post

Is this what you mean? Thier called pomegranates
yes!! :droooooooooooooooooooooooool: theyre like God's candy! and those are like perfect!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackshirts View Post
I quit smoking and drinking and cut way back on soda. Its been 6 months since last smoke.
congrats dude!
Old 04-27-2010, 03:36 PM   #13
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
mmmmm, pomegranates
Old 04-27-2010, 03:43 PM   #14
Thread Jacker
schiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Caleb
schiz94's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Im not the healthiest of eaters...... but saw this on yahoo.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_med_bad_habits_survival

i definitely do not get my daily fruits and vegetables.
but i don't smoke or drink.
but i do have poor eating habits. especially lately....working right next door to in n out and arby's isn't the healthiest lifestyle.

the bad thing is, is that i hate veggie's. i can eat a salad but i hate carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, celery etc.

i love fruit... i.e. apples, clementines, pineapple ( ), raspberries, and whats that fruit called where you eat the seeds? and its red? i LOVE those

i do get more than 2 1/2 hours of physical activity a week surfing almost everyday.

but yeah what are your guys' thoughts on this?

would you want to improve your daily lifestyle of bad habits?
tis pomegranate you speak of.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:47 PM   #15
6 Double 5 3 2 1
thebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ken....
thebigk's Tacoma Gallery
I smoke once in a while...drink almost every day. And I don't eat worth a damn LOL

BUT

I do go to the gym 4-5 times a week now. Lift weights and run 2 miles a day. Maybe that'll contradict the other vices! hahahaha
Old 04-27-2010, 03:52 PM   #16
Bourbon
EquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
EquinsuOcha's Tacoma Gallery
Meh. You lose years off the end of your life. Those are the worst ones anyway.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:55 PM   #17
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
A large portion of America combines these problems, which is why we are rapidly becoming the fattest and sickest nation in the developed world.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:23 PM   #18
juicymoose is on a distinguished road
juicymoose's Tacoma Gallery
You could benefit from supplements to give you what you don't like the taste of. A daily vitamin, greens (capsule format), and essential oils (Omega 3 and Fish Oil) will go a long way to help your body. Supplements are especially important after the age of 30-35. You don't need to go crazy with supplements, consuming everything an ad tells you but the basic supplements are proven to improve life.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:30 PM   #19
Blackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
Blackshirts's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

congrats dude!
Thank you sir..

Not going to lie one of no the hardest thing I have ever had to do.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:35 PM   #20
Panda Jerk

THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
I just wished I liked healthy food