Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

Need to get rid of beer belly and man boobs >:(

Old 05-02-2010, 06:06 PM   #1
SHHHH, this is interesting
07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

07TacoRidah's Tacoma Gallery
Need to get rid of beer belly and man boobs >:(

I'm doing good on my arms and some of my back I guess. One of my older brothers has me doing some sets that work them out, BUT I noticed that my man boobs aren't really going away. Also my gut is starting to poke out (making some of my button ups unbuttonable). I'm not into gyms, just being a weird place I guess.
So does anyone have any sets they do at home that helps with the gut (besides crunches, they give me headaches, I don't get why) and chest?
Old 05-02-2010, 06:08 PM   #2
You think I was rollin out here naked?
ToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MA
ToucanV13's Tacoma Gallery
Diet is the biggest factor. Go zone or Paleo
Old 05-02-2010, 06:11 PM   #4
alex1988 is a splendid one to beholdalex1988 is a splendid one to beholdalex1988 is a splendid one to beholdalex1988 is a splendid one to beholdalex1988 is a splendid one to beholdalex1988 is a splendid one to beholdalex1988 is a splendid one to behold

alex1988's Tacoma Gallery
There is only one thing you can do to loose a gut and man boobs... and thats run. People say fat turns into muscle blah blah blah thats completely false, they are two different types of tissues, they can not magically phase change. so to get rid of fat (man boobs, gut, love handles) you just gotta run. Start easy if its been a while, half a mile a day for 3 days, then move up to a mile, then when that gets easier step it up to 1.5 miles.. and so on. You will find yourself doing 4-5 miles a day within a month. The fat will melt away...
Old 05-02-2010, 06:35 PM   #5
07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucanV13 View Post
Diet is the biggest factor. Go zone or Paleo
what's Zone and Paleo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Cardio- Run, swim, bike, stairs...Whatever it takes to work up a sweat. Do a 10-15 min warm up before you do you arms set and then work thru your arms set at a fast pace...keep the sweat up the whole time and you'll see some difference.
cool, what's good, I naturally sweat A LOT. I don't know what it is that I have but I've been like this since I was born (sucks when you have to shake hands or even hold a chicks hand for that matter).

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1988 View Post
There is only one thing you can do to loose a gut and man boobs... and thats run. People say fat turns into muscle blah blah blah thats completely false, they are two different types of tissues, they can not magically phase change. so to get rid of fat (man boobs, gut, love handles) you just gotta run. Start easy if its been a while, half a mile a day for 3 days, then move up to a mile, then when that gets easier step it up to 1.5 miles.. and so on. You will find yourself doing 4-5 miles a day within a month. The fat will melt away...
It's been a VERY long while since I have run or even jogged. I am somewhat through the bad stuff with my health issue (Graves Disease), but slowly working back to being normal. I had to eat a lot of protein due to me being obscenely skinny, even tweekers were disgusted with me. So now I'm getting pretty fat and my physician wants me to loose a couple. Basically get back into shape and not turn into a fat ass.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:39 PM   #6
10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light
Marines:
Name: Dillon
10.21's Tacoma Gallery
I used a trimmer belt for awhile and ever since I put it down (I never use it when I'm back on my heavy lift due to the wearing of a squat belt) and it worked great. I works like those odd "garbage bag" suits you may have seen people wearing but focused on the mid section. You can buy them at Wal-Mart in the fitness section, Dick's Sporting Goods and so on. You just have to keep active, wear it when you work out.
It focuses the heat you develop during a workout directly back to your abdominals which both "melts" the fat in the area as well as stimulates the muscle itself. You won't develop a 24 pack just from the use of this.

Your hardest spot to cut will be your lower abdominals so it's key to exaggerate a lower abdominal workout more than any other abdominal workout (throw more workouts in, more sets, more reps than any other abdominal workout). Decline sit-ups, leg raises, heels-to-heavens, flutter kicks, etc.

Chest-
Kill push-ups and improvise a way to "fly"...since you don't like gyms it may be a little hard to do. Do push-ups from every motion, decline, flat, incline. As far as flyes kill those from every motion, whether you buy weights or just use something heavy laying around the house.

Invest, pirate, or borrow P90X. It's more for those that are out of shape or into cardio than the heavy lifters (I did it and lost a great amount of mass but was pretty cut).

Since you hate gyms, just get creative. I'm going to be going to school in Virginia for the Marine Corps which is going to require a lot of my time. Which means I won;t be hitting the gym. So, for the 4 months that I'm cooped up in a hotel, I plan on doing P90X, getting a kettle bell and doing crossfit, cargo strapping my bed for decline sit-ups / bench press (cargo strap weight to the bed, get under and lift), and using a TRX resistance band...

TRX - http://www.fitnessanywhere.com/
Crossfit Demos - http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html
General Workout Demos - http://www.shapefit.com/

If you hate gyms man, it's going to be difficult. Hopefully all this will help you out.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, which those before me who have but I wanted to emphasize is diet. I used to be huge into diet but it go so F-ing boring and bland so I settled with a decent body for happiness of eating. High protein, moderate carbs, low fat if your looking to shred fat. Up the fat content once you get them pecks and abs going to a moderate fat content (avocados, fish oil, egg yolk, cottage cheese, [more] peanut butter)...I can make you a diet plan, but it gets pretty bland after awhile....I hope you like chicken breast and brown rice.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:44 PM   #7
AYYYYYYYYYYYY
cgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cgs2k2's Tacoma Gallery
Like the others said, running is a GREAT workout for those problem areas. As is swimming, which will also work your shoulders and back a lot. Pushups are a great workout for your chest. I don't know what your capabilities are, start out with just enough to get you breathing hard and add a couple more each night.

If you've got the motivation, you can reach your goals. Good luck!
Old 05-02-2010, 06:53 PM   #8
ToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Zone - uses a 30-40-30 approach. 30% protein, 40% carbs from fruits and veggies, and 30% fats avocado, nuts.
Paleo - eat like a caveman, all natural, minimal processing no breads or dairy (basically nothing man made)

Long and short, cut out breads and gluten and start getting you carbs from fruits and veggies. You need fat to lose fat as long as it's healthy fats.

http://www.enterthezonediet.com/

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=the+paleo+diet
Old 05-02-2010, 06:56 PM   #9
trg37 has a brilliant futuretrg37 has a brilliant futuretrg37 has a brilliant futuretrg37 has a brilliant futuretrg37 has a brilliant futuretrg37 has a brilliant futuretrg37 has a brilliant futuretrg37 has a brilliant futuretrg37 has a brilliant futuretrg37 has a brilliant futuretrg37 has a brilliant future

Name: Tyler
trg37's Tacoma Gallery
diet and calorie intake.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:59 PM   #10
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
You don't need a gym or machinery or need to buy any gimmicks or quick cures.

Eat less, excercise more. Especially work on eating smaller portions. It works better if you eat smaller meals throught the day (4-5 times) rather than three big meals. Less of the unused energy from those big meals will be turned into fat. You will also find that your overall energy level is more even, rahter than passing out after a big lunch.

And focusing weights on any part of your body will not focus where you lose fat. There is no relationship. It doesn't work that way. The fat hides the abs you already have. Doing lots of crunches gives you killer abs buried under fat...

You need to excercise for at least 20 minutes just to burn the glycogen (sugar) stored in your muscles. When you keep going, your body will then switch metabolism to start burning fat, so the longer you can go after 20 mins, the better for fat burning. And you don't even have to push it really hard. Fat burning is actually more efficient at lower intensities (about 130-140 heartbeats per minute, if I recall correctly). Count your pulse for 10 seconds, then multiply by six.

Rather than running, you can try doing stairs. Just walking up flights of stairs, like at an outdoor parking lot, for example, for a half hour will give you a hell of a workout. The longer, the better. This will use large muscles (glutes and quads), which will demand more energy and burn more fat. Building the muscles increases your metabolism, which will in turn help you burn more fat all the time, all over your body.

Once the stairs build some strength and cardio capacity, you can try jogging up every other flight, or just going faster.

Another alternative (or to add variety): ride a bike.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:06 PM   #11
Taco Boosh!
jyffmguy has a spectacular aura aboutjyffmguy has a spectacular aura about

Firefighter: FF/PM
Name: Jeff
jyffmguy's Tacoma Gallery
As a general rule, you can't spot reduce fat. You can do all the crunches in the world, and all you'll do is damage your lower back, not shrink your stomach. If anything, you'll make it bulge even more. As ToucanV13 said, getting your diet in line is going to be your biggest factor in reducing body fat %.

There's plenty of ways to excercise at home, and get a killer workout in. Here's a few links to get you on your way.

http://www.t-nation.com
Where I get most of my nutrition advice. Read some articles by Chris Shugart, or just do a search for articles about diet. There is probably a year's worth of reading on here, so search based on what your goals are, and embrace a low-carb lifestyle. The site can come off as hard core, but most of the info applies to everyday joe as well.

Ross Enamait
Ross has a lot of great info on programs that can be done with minimal equipment, as well as complexes and HIIT (High intensity interval training). Check out some of the sandbag work. It'll kick your ass, get you lean, and you can do it all from the comfort of your own home.

You cannot out-train a poor diet, so step 1 is getting a handle on that.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:20 PM   #12

rowing and swimming are great to mix it up and are no impact
Old 05-02-2010, 07:22 PM   #13
Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!
AvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
AvsFanTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Crossfit FTW!
Old 05-02-2010, 07:26 PM   #14
needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....
jefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sex Panther
jefferson's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jefferson
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
You don't need a gym or machinery or need to buy any gimmicks or quick cures.

Eat less, excercise more. Especially work on eating smaller portions. It works better if you eat smaller meals throught the day (4-5 times) rather than three big meals. Less of the unused energy from those big meals will be turned into fat. You will also find that your overall energy level is more even, rahter than passing out after a big lunch.

And focusing weights on any part of your body will not focus where you lose fat. There is no relationship. It doesn't work that way. The fat hides the abs you already have. Doing lots of crunches gives you killer abs buried under fat...

You need to excercise for at least 20 minutes just to burn the glycogen (sugar) stored in your muscles. When you keep going, your body will then switch metabolism to start burning fat, so the longer you can go after 20 mins, the better for fat burning. And you don't even have to push it really hard. Fat burning is actually more efficient at lower intensities (about 130-140 heartbeats per minute, if I recall correctly). Count your pulse for 10 seconds, then multiply by six.

Rather than running, you can try doing stairs. Just walking up flights of stairs, like at an outdoor parking lot, for example, for a half hour will give you a hell of a workout. The longer, the better. This will use large muscles (glutes and quads), which will demand more energy and burn more fat. Building the muscles increases your metabolism, which will in turn help you burn more fat all the time, all over your body.

Once the stairs build some strength and cardio capacity, you can try jogging up every other flight, or just going faster.

Another alternative (or to add variety): ride a bike.
perfect advice.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:35 PM   #15

well I did a little jogging today. MAN! I'm in worse shape than I thought. My head is kind of pounding and I feel like laying on the floor for a couple days lol.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:54 PM   #16

So now something weird is going on. I do some reps and such for my arms and chest, I can see my arms and chest change. BUT after sometime, I go straight back to skinny ass arms. Basically like a freaking twig. > Should I be eating protein? I literally have to lift a couple just to see a difference in them.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:43 PM   #18
snjkid372 is on a distinguished road
snjkid372's Tacoma Gallery
look up the warrior diet, or the intermitten fasting diet.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:44 PM   #19
snjkid372 is on a distinguished road
snjkid372's Tacoma Gallery
o yea remember beer is liquid bread, might want to cut back a little bit if you drink a lot
Old 05-07-2010, 04:45 PM   #20
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery