Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Health (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/health/)
-   -   House With Mold-need lawyer help (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/health/196110-house-mold-need-lawyer-help.html)

cstephan 01-02-2012 10:04 AM

House With Mold-need lawyer help

Hey TW. I need some help finding a (GOOD) lawyer in the Cumberland, MD or Morgantown, WV that deals with home rentals and getting out of a lease, because I am having serve reactions to mold that is growing in the house I rent. I have done at home mold test's (came back positive) and have a doctors note explaining what I have been going though. Later this week I am going to have a professional come in and do a mold test (scheduled already). What I really want advise on is getting my deposit back and maybe going after them for my medical bills.

Thank you for your help TW

joneill03 01-02-2012 10:15 AM

Definitely get the professional test. Those home tests wont be as good of proof. Cant help with anything else though. Do you know where the mold is growing?

cc350 01-02-2012 10:27 AM

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...ion-30230.html

mr2r6 01-05-2012 06:57 PM

I would suggest you read up about mold and find the real truth before you spend any more money and try and sue anyone. Mold is everywhere my friend. You I and the pope and anyone else you can think of is breathing in mold right now. Mold is a huge media hype. You say you “tested” for it and it was “positive”? Well sure it is because it’s everywhere. I think you are terrible misinformed here and need to educate yourself. I would hold off on the mold tester you have hired until you better understand molds, fungi’s and such. Check out this website and read all the information and post on the right hand side about mold myths and such.

cstephan 01-06-2012 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr2r6 (Post 4307358)
I would suggest you read up about mold and find the real truth before you spend any more money and try and sue anyone. Mold is everywhere my friend. You I and the pope and anyone else you can think of is breathing in mold right now. Mold is a huge media hype. You say you “tested” for it and it was “positive”? Well sure it is because it’s everywhere. I think you are terrible misinformed here and need to educate yourself. I would hold off on the mold tester you have hired until you better understand molds, fungi’s and such. Check out this website and read all the information and post on the right hand side about mold myths and such.

waiting for link, i have talked to alot of people that know its no joke. I would love to read this.

Doc.SS 01-06-2012 08:29 AM

Quote:

this is going to be fun...

cstephan 01-06-2012 08:38 AM

PLEASE, any info is helpful.

Pugga 01-06-2012 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cstephan (Post 4309774)
waiting for link, i have talked to alot of people that know its no joke. I would love to read this.

He's both right and wrong. Mold and fungi are everywhere, some are harmful, some are not. Also, some people feel are affected more harshly by different molds. There is such a thing as a 'sick house' where the indoor air quality is poor and promotes mold growth (the harmful kind). I do agree with his suggestion on doing as much homework as you can before spending a lot of money hiring a professional. Have you spoken to the landlord, is he refusing to refund your deposit? If I were you, I'd see if he'd be willing to refund the deposit and get on to a new place, or just see if you can break the lease and get the hell out. Money isn't everything, especially when it comes to your health. Trying to force legal action so he covers medical bills might end up costing you more time and money than it's worth. If it's a large property manager, they might have a lot more resources to fight your claim also. Just my $0.02, good luck!

pudge151 01-06-2012 08:42 AM

Quote:

are you his landlord?????:confused:

cstephan 01-06-2012 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pugga (Post 4309949)
He's both right and wrong. Mold and fungi are everywhere, some are harmful, some are not. Also, some people feel are affected more harshly by different molds. There is such a thing as a 'sick house' where the indoor air quality is poor and promotes mold growth (the harmful kind). I do agree with his suggestion on doing as much homework as you can before spending a lot of money hiring a professional. Have you spoken to the landlord, is he refusing to refund your deposit? If I were you, I'd see if he'd be willing to refund the deposit and get on to a new place, or just see if you can break the lease and get the hell out. Money isn't everything, especially when it comes to your health. Trying to force legal action so he covers medical bills might end up costing you more time and money than it's worth. If it's a large property manager, they might have a lot more resources to fight your claim also. Just my $0.02, good luck!

They wont let me out of the lease. and I still have 4-5 months left. I just want to get out. I know money is not everything but 800$ to me is quite a bit. If they just let me out, i would leave and move on.

cstephan 01-06-2012 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pudge151 (Post 4309956)
are you his landlord?????:confused:

I am the renter.

Pugga 01-06-2012 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cstephan (Post 4309990)
They wont let me out of the lease. and I still have 4-5 months left. I just want to get out. I know money is not everything but 800$ to me is quite a bit. If they just let me out, i would leave and move on.

I hear you, I've just gone toe to toe with large landlords before and I found out very quickly that they are much better equipped to fight legal battles than I was. I think you're going the right route, I just hope legal action doesn't keep you in there until the lease is up anyways.

cstephan 01-06-2012 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pugga (Post 4310027)
I hear you, I've just gone toe to toe with large landlords before and I found out very quickly that they are much better equipped to fight legal battles than I was. I think you're going the right route, I just hope legal action doesn't keep you in there until the lease is up anyways.

What was yours about? and what was the outcome?

cstephan 01-06-2012 09:04 AM

http://epa.gov/mold/append_b.html#Health_Effects

From the EPA.

theredofshaw 01-06-2012 09:11 AM

how long have you lived in this place? reason being, some landlords throw it into the lease that the renter is responsible for keeping mold at bay (ie, if the bathroom is equipped with a vent fan or window, it is imperative that you use it). if this mold is growing in the bathroom, they can come back and say it is your fault and not theirs.

of course, if you can prove that it is because of substandard repairs to the exterior of the building, roof leaks, etc. then you shouldnt be at fault.

(this is all how I see the situation, not what may actually happen)

cstephan 01-06-2012 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theredofshaw (Post 4310075)
how long have you lived in this place? reason being, some landlords throw it into the lease that the renter is responsible for keeping mold at bay (ie, if the bathroom is equipped with a vent fan or window, it is imperative that you use it). if this mold is growing in the bathroom, they can come back and say it is your fault and not theirs.

of course, if you can prove that it is because of substandard repairs to the exterior of the building, roof leaks, etc. then you shouldnt be at fault.

(this is all how I see the situation, not what may actually happen)

it started back in may, and it would effect me what i would close the windows and use the AC, but now that its winter, and the house is all closed up, its worse. The carpet on the bottom floor feels kinda damp, and it has felt like that sense i got there. Its a pored slab (25+ years old) with a pad, and carpet ontop.

EDIT: i also found out the a pipe broke 6-7 years ago, and flooded the bottom floor. The carpet is all the same though the whole house. It used to be a VAC rental, and just this year they moved it to a yearly rental. What i am thinking is that it was never cleaned up right, and now is giving me trouble.

Pugga 01-06-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cstephan (Post 4310050)
What was yours about? and what was the outcome?

Mine was completely unrelated. The landlord was a complete bitch and crooked as can be. The problem was she was smart about it and destroyed the paper trail so it was my word against hers. In the end it was easier to just pay them to sign the paper saying I was free and clear than it would have been to fight it. It ended up costing me $500 but it was a valuable lesson learned. Throughout the whole process, once their legal team got involved, the landlord would not deal with me at all, everything had to go through their lawyers.

Simon's Mom 01-06-2012 09:28 AM

Carl have you tried this site?

http://www.oag.state.md.us/consumer/...rds.htm#assist

There are numbers listed to help handle disputes.
Free and maybe help point you in the right direction?

mr2r6 01-06-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 (Post 4308691)
waiting for link to edumacate myself :playball:

Sorry about that.
http://www.forensic-applications.com/

mr2r6 01-06-2012 08:45 PM

If you are really worried about your health and you feel the mold needs to be cleaned then it’s pretty simple. All molds/fungi’s are cleaned up in the same way. If you can see it or smell it you got it. There is no use in wasting your money to have some “expert” do a fake test and give you a piece of paper with a bunch of words that you can’t even read. So do this:
1) Identify the moisture source or sources.
2) Repair the moisture sources.
3) Clean any mold or fungi that can be seen or smelt by completely replacing the affected area or treating it with a bleach bases cleaner.

Molds and fungi’s cannot grow without a moisture source. No one can tell you how much mold is too much or this type is bad or this type is ok. No one knows. For all you know it’s not the mold or fungi that you are allergic to. A mold “expert” or “certified mold expert” is no more than a guy that completed on online test and printed their certification. Unless you get a microbiologist or industrial hygienist you’re wasting your money.