1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

WTF...Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Discussion in 'Health' started by jivewalker, May 18, 2012.

1. May 18, 2012 at 2:25 PM
    jivewalker

jivewalker [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack MeHoff
    Chucktown
    Vehicle:
    2012 4RUNNER TE w/KDSS, 2017 LAND CRUISER
    Thought it was a joke condition only people who type alot get, turns out I have/had it bad in both wrists.:eek: Had surgery on RH on 5/2. What a PITA but seems to have helped some things, to soon to tell. Anyone else dealt with this? My hands have been going numb while working, driving, talking on phone for a good 10 years. I just ignored and dealt with the numbness. I do beat the shit out of my hands and have for the past 20 years. 6 months ago pain started and got ridiculous at times, hence a trip to the doctor. Just thought I'd start a thread to share info, etc. if anyones interested.

2. May 20, 2012 at 5:09 PM
    maxpower29

maxpower29 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 2.7 5 speed SWB
    All season mats, 2nd filter delete, DT header, Jardine cat-back, URD shifter, Bilstein 5100's all around at .85 front with Eibachs + .25 passenger/.5 drivers spacers and 1.5 AAL, 0w20 synthetic, Scanguage II, extra D rings, OEM backup camera+Mirror, bed mat, Extang Solid Fold, Popnlock 5300, Pro Comp 7089's 4.5bs 285/70/17 Revo 2s, De-badged
    friend at work who is 23 has it too. He said it was run in his family. He has the surgery on one hand and wont go do the other because he said it did fuck all

3. May 20, 2012 at 5:12 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    mom and dad have both had it. one had(yeah i don’t remember if it was mom or dad) had it in both hands.

4. May 20, 2012 at 5:16 PM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Somewhere on the East coast
    Vehicle:
    not a taco (guess that means I can be a MOD now)
    (totaled) 2011 Tacoma DC
    i probably do have it, but most of the people I have talked to (all fellow sailors) ended up coming out of the surgery worse off than when they went in. out of all the other people in the navy I know with it, only one or two had successful surgeries (could just be our doc's, who knows)

5. May 21, 2012 at 8:39 AM
    jivewalker

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack MeHoff
    Chucktown
    Vehicle:
    so far the extreme pain I was having is gone and the numbness I was getting while working with my right hand is gone, which is amazing. Hand is a little sore/stiff/weak from the surgery still. Only other issue at this time is numbness in my middle and ring fingers at the tips only and a sunburned feeling on the back of them. And my wrist makes a clicking noise sometimes when i bend it. All in all, I'm glad to have it done so far. Will wait until this ones completely healed and then consider whther to do the other. The doc said if i had continued to ignore it, the muscle around the thumb in my right hand would have atrophied into nothing eventually. The pre surgery strenthg test, to my surprise, showed my doominant hand (right) was already 20% weaker than my left, and i had no idea.

6. Dec 1, 2013 at 10:13 PM
    flatblack

flatblack Well-Known Member

Member:
    CDA
    Vehicle:
    95.5 Tacoma 3.4 Manual
    I went wheeling for a couple of hours the other night and was doing copious amounts of shifting; both of the Trans and Transfer
    Ever since I've been getting carpal tunnel symptoms... I can't think of what else it'd be
    This ever happen to anyone else?

Makes me mad as hornets... this better not mean I have to go buy an Auto. haha

7. Dec 7, 2013 at 8:31 AM
    jivewalker

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack MeHoff
    Chucktown
    Vehicle:
    Get it tested and see, its pretty easy for them to tell you. They put probes on the end of my fingers then jammed needles into my biceps and sent electricity through my arm nerve. The measure the time and strength of the signals and can some how determine whats going on.

I don't really recommend the Surgery but i had no choice according to the doc. Recovery sucked and hand doesn't feel exactly the same, but pain and numbness is gone and no lost functionality. Going to have to get the left one done next when i get motivated. really dont want to end up with weak hands that cant be fixed, which is what would happen, and I work with my hands every day.

8. Dec 7, 2013 at 8:33 AM
    Fightnfire

Fightnfire Recklessly tired

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 (Prev 09 Access Cab V6 4X4)
    Starting over with a new GMC AT4 Satin Steel Metallic Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings.
    My sister had it really bad and ended up wearing braces on both wrists every night, that has helped her a ton.

9. Dec 8, 2013 at 1:25 AM
    NW4RUNNER

NW4RUNNER Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4 runner trail
    Steroid Injections can offer some relief as well as brace immobilization prior to surgery. If symptoms have been present for long time, nerve damage can make prognosis more difficult to predict. If pain and numbness is gone with no loss of function, that's a very positive outcome. Some go through with only partial decrease in symptoms. Furthermore, some scar down at incision area after surgery. I wouldn't be afraid of surgery though. If symptoms and quality of life are bad enough, it will likely help.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  10. Dec 8, 2013 at 3:28 PM
    t4r4life

t4r4life poptard and protein farts

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    1998 Toyota 4runner
    panty dropping mod
  11. Dec 9, 2013 at 6:03 PM
    jivewalker

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack MeHoff
    Chucktown
    Vehicle:
    Interesting read. Unfortunately for me, the nerve conduction tests confirmed the nerve to be compressed significantly, without question. Once my family doctor thought I may have CT, he sent me for the tests. The pain that developed was unreal. So bad that I couldn't sleep at night. The pain wasn't in my wrist at all, it was the whole length of my arm to the elbow. It was deep pain. It's gone now thanks to the surgery. But the left hand continues to go numb, so I'm starting to think about getting it done before pain develops.

12. Dec 9, 2013 at 6:07 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    I had a coworker that had to have the surgery due to the excessive compression of his nerves. It was getting to the point that he could work for about 3 hours of so at the most. After that he was unable to hold his tools because he had zero feeling. Once the surgery was done, and he had a good 6 weeks of recovery, he said it was like a whole new world.

I have some loss of feeling in my right hand every once in a while. Mild case I wouldn't doubt. It is a strange feeling to say the least. Good luck on your recovery.

Products Discussed in

To Top