1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

It's time for change

Discussion in 'Health' started by The Traveler, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Oct 8, 2012 at 4:12 PM
    The Traveler

The Traveler [OP] Desert Chief

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1991 Toyota Pickup 4x4 Prerunner
    OK, so I've never done anything like this before, but here goes.

I've come to terms with myself...I have a weight problem, and I need to get healthy if I ever want to see my 30's. I've never admitted this to anybody, and most importantly, myself...until now. I find it hard to do the things I love without feeling tired, out of breath, or in pain. I love hiking, camping, working on my truck, playing sports, etc...but recently, I've hit my peak weight and I'm done. Enough is enough...

I've tried dieting and going to the gym and doing all these complex, profound, routines with little success...but a story I saw on the news a few days ago inspired me to step forth and challenge myself to do the impossible.

Edwin Velez of Albertville, AL lost 100lbs in 4 months. He, like me, said enough is enough and started a plan he made on his own to lose the pounds, and he had incredible success. He's lost 140lbs so far, beginning at 285lbs.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/edwin-velezs-weight-loss-success-100-pounds-months-17395320

This is the video aired on ABC last week, and it's gotten me in contact with this guy to ask him some questions about his routines, tips, tricks, etc.

My current height/weight, 6'2" & 312lbs. I'm 22 years old.
    My goal weight, 212lbs.
    My time frame, by spring break 2013 (March 17-23, 2013)

My plan: I'm going to follow Edwin's advice, sticking to high protein, and carbs only from fresh fruit and vegetables, no carbs that are white in color (rice, pasta, bread, potatoes, etc). Completely cutting out soda and sugary juices/drinks. No sweets, dessert, ice cream, etc. Salad with no dressing, no ketchup or sauces. Portion control is a HUGE factor in my plan as well. Indeed a lifestyle change...but I've never been so inspired or confident in my life.

Exercise: Edwin began walking for 45 min a day, then began to combine some jogging, eventually jogging the entire 45 min, before moving to running 5-10 miles a day. I hate running/jogging, but I do love mountain biking, so I may create my own variation of that.

I realize the scope of such an undertaking, but I've done great things in the past. This is just one thing that I've never wanted to deal with, thinking it'll just go away on it's own...but not anymore. I've always been self-conscious about my weight, since elementary school...but I know the healthy guy I can be...because I wasn't always heavy. I already feel better about myself for starting this.

In the past, keeping my attempts at weight loss a secret has not helped...it only encouraged me to cheat knowing nobody else would know. I know this forum has some of the greatest people I know, and I'm asking for your help to check up on me, ask me questions, and most importantly, cheer me on :D

Here's a photo of me at age 16, and a few recent photos. I'll be adding to this thread as time goes on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Oct 8, 2012 at 4:12 PM
    The Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Reserved.

3. Oct 8, 2012 at 4:16 PM
    Zac808

Zac808 Custom User Title

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Viva Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD DC SB 4x4
    In my sig
    You can do it. Throw in some weight training for faster and better results.

4. Oct 8, 2012 at 4:17 PM
    MarkEmarK

MarkEmarK Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    NorSoCal808
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DCLB 4X4
    Broke Stock
    Sounds like he is on the Paleo diet.

Good luck to you!! The first week will always be the hardest! Just keep it up and it will become a normal routine for you!

5. Oct 8, 2012 at 4:23 PM
    The Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I will add weight training to my regimen after a few weeks of strictly cardio. But yes I don't want to be a skinny dude, I want to be fit, so muscle building is a must.

I should also add, I've quit smoking from almost 1 pack a day to 1 pack a month...basically just socially. It's a big step towards improving my overall health.

6. Oct 8, 2012 at 5:52 PM
    bash42

bash42 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern PA
    Vehicle:
    '22 DCLB TRD OR Super White
    That's awesome man, I'm only 29 and I've been a heavy smoker since 15. I quit 6 weeks ago today and it was, in all honesty, one of the easiest things I've ever done, once i made up my mind. I finally got fed up with always smelling, being a slave and spending tons of money on it.

When I was your age I lost 50 lbs in 4 month and have virtually kept it off. My brother recently lost 40 lbs on weight watchers, it's an awesome program!

My only advice is to be honest with yourself. If you cheat, then you're only lying to yourself!

My one friend said to me "man, I love cheeseburgers more then anything, but wearing size 36 jeans is the one of the greatest feelings in the world!" That Really stuck with me!

Best of luck!

7. Oct 8, 2012 at 5:54 PM
    Bennett707

Bennett707 Station707

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    No more taco life for me
    You got this in the bag man! Glad to hear your about your change!

8. Oct 9, 2012 at 2:23 PM
    The Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, guys!

It's Day 2, and I'm already down 7.5lbs :eek:

I had a grilled chicken and veggie bowl with no teriyaki sauce from Flame Broiler today, and man that didn't go down easy...I'm not a fan of steamed cabbage, but I downed the whole bowl and topped it off with a glass of water. The amazing thing is, I'm just as full as if I had the regular teriyaki chicken and steamed rice bowl like I usually do.

Going to leave the office at 6:00 tonight so I can squeeze in some mountain biking before it gets too dark.

9. Oct 10, 2012 at 1:44 AM
    NPB

NPB Well-Known Member

Member:
    Trabuco Canyon , CA
    Vehicle:
    FJ
    Don't know if you have a gym membership already, but if you're looking at purchasing one the best deal (for 24hr fitness) is at costco. It's a better deal than anything the gym can offer you. I know because I work there.

10. Oct 10, 2012 at 1:44 AM
    NPB

NPB Well-Known Member

Member:
    Trabuco Canyon , CA
    Vehicle:
    FJ
    Oh and best of luck! I used to be a chubby little shit too, but trust me it's worth it!

11. Oct 10, 2012 at 2:06 AM
    NWTacoGuy

NWTacoGuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Pacific North West
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road DCSB
    Fabtech 6", xd addicts/35x11.50 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Black badges, Pioneer HU, 11' grille, ect ect ect....
    This man,

I have a good friend of mine that decided the same as well...enough is enough. He was 310 pounds and was miserable....he took the first few months and did cardio and tightened up his diet. Then he hit the gym hard and for the next 1 1/2 years he was at it all the time. He now weighs 185, and when I saw him I couldn't even believe that it was him.

I never thought that someone could do that and he proved you can do anything if you try hard enough. I would post up his before and after pics but he destroyed every pic that he ever took prior to changing his life. He will not even admit he used to be like that. I am definitely a believer after I saw what he did.

Just hang in there and don't give up and you will be the happiest you have ever been!! Good luck to you and your endeavor!!

12. Oct 10, 2012 at 2:06 AM
    The Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    LOL I wish I had a problem gaining weight!

Thanks man, I actually have a 24 Hour membership as well, but I prefer doing cardio outdoors. I'll definitely be hitting the gym for weight training though!

13. Oct 10, 2012 at 3:37 AM
    cabarbhab

cabarbhab Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Mary Esther, FL
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD OR 4x4
    Yeah it sounds like you are kind of going the paleo or primal way. You should get the Paleo Solution by Rob Wolf or the Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson. Also check out marksdailyapple.com. Keep it up though man, I have faith in you.

14. Oct 10, 2012 at 10:20 AM
    Okeetee

Okeetee I like the Anaheim Ducks

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    OME 887 coil springs, Bilstein 5100s (front/rear), Light Racing UCAs, Wheeler's HD 1.5" AAL, 18x9 Pro Comp series 7032, Toyo Open Country A/T II (LT285/65R18)
    You got this, dude! It's all about having the right mindset. This isn't a temporary "diet" -- this is a lifestyle change!! Sending more positive vibes your way. :headbang:

You're off to a great start and once you start seeing results you'll never want to go back to how you were before. Stay determined and strong because there will be some tough days ahead. I've been there, man. Looking forward to seeing your progress!

15. Oct 10, 2012 at 10:25 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    If you can just walk for 1 hour day you can cut the weight off quick. Loosing two pounds a week is healthy way loose it.

16. Oct 10, 2012 at 10:30 AM
    cgs2k2

cgs2k2 old man

Member:
    Good to see somebody taking a positive step forward with their health! You can do it!

17. Oct 10, 2012 at 10:30 AM
    The Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Good advice. Thanks! I definitely have 1 hour to devote to walking. And lucky for me, there are hills all around my house so I get a little incline while I'm at it.

18. Oct 10, 2012 at 10:32 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    DO you like Yams and chicken???

19. Oct 10, 2012 at 10:33 AM
    The Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
  20. Oct 10, 2012 at 10:42 AM
    aidenhardcore

aidenhardcore Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    boston,ma
    Vehicle:
    2017 trd off road
    None yet but soon all black.
    Hey man. I love your story about trying to be healthy and lose weight. I know it can be hard and stuff. I am too trying to lose weight just like you. Some days are so easy and other days are the hardest but it can be done. Best of luck to you and hope me and you can be fit one day:)

Products Discussed in

To Top