1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

VA circle jerk

Discussion in 'Health' started by hitmans.army, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Feb 5, 2014 at 11:38 PM
    hitmans.army

hitmans.army [OP] Just a guy.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Myrtle Creek, OR
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner & '40 Chrysler Coupe
    Bilstein 5100s up front with OME 885s, rear Add-A-Leaf, LED lights (tails, dome, map, plate lights), Kicker 8" in custom fiberglass enclosure under back seat, Kicker speakers throughout and Kicker amp for sub, Pioneer DVD Player, Satoshi Grille with Devil Horns, Leer 100XQ.
    After two months of harassing the VA about my neurosurgery referral, they finally gave me an appointment date. Referral was put in back in November, informed of the appointment on Tuesday, appointment in late June.
    Hopefully they will offer more than just a fusion like the docs in Phoenix offered. Hopefully they will be able to get it so I don't have constant tingling and numbness in my legs.
    Not muh of a rant, but I just think it is rediculous how poorly the VA handles things. Even my disability got screwed up. Made my first claim in 2012. Somehow they "couldn't find my claim", so I had to start all over in December. After over a year of being told it was "still under review".

2. Mar 17, 2014 at 12:12 PM
    kenneth.morris07

kenneth.morris07 كافر‎

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenneth
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Relentless Fab plate bumper,aFe Cold air intake, 12" JL sub, RE tweeters and speakers, Kenwood Head unit, Autodim/temp/compass mirror from Bob, baffled oil catch can
    This is how I feel when I find someone at the VA that can actually help me

images.jpg

3. May 23, 2014 at 6:14 PM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    Nancy pulpit is blaming bush for the VA scandal

4. Dec 15, 2014 at 1:17 PM
    BlackSportD

BlackSportD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Icon/TC Mid travel, TRD S/C, PNP Greddy EMU, 625cc injectors, 2.2 pulley, Hayden tranny cooler, AEM wideband, TRD boost gauge.
    My last reserve MOB, when I came home I was still on TriCare for a few months, I jumped on that like white on rice and got my ankle surgery done by a civilian and outside of the VA system. The BS at the VA is just amazing- its like watching what a movie would film to create the worst and most sarcastic medical/hospital experience, buts it real life lol.

5. Dec 15, 2014 at 4:15 PM
    SpoilsofWar

SpoilsofWar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Wilmington NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB 4x4 TRD Sport Super Charged
    I've been dealing with the VA since 07 and it's exactly that a circle jerk. They say for the VA PTSD stands for Paid Till Suicide or Death.

6. Dec 15, 2014 at 4:21 PM
    SoutheastTaco

SoutheastTaco Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    steven
    columbia sc
    Vehicle:
    09 trd sport dc 4x4
    rear spring tsb, 255/75/17 bfg muds
    Title will get some hopes up.

7. Jan 13, 2015 at 9:43 PM
    windsor

windsor Just a guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Homeless in Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Super Duty aka Tundra
    Canopy, fitted seat covers, OBA with self leveling air bags, 100w solar, dual Rhino Rack Pioneer platforms, side & rear LED work/FU lights, CB, cell booster. 7x16 cargo conversion, 3" lift, 7'x6.5' fold down aluminum rear deck.
    Sorry I got your hopes up with the title. I've been getting a couple issues worked on and still have others. Still waiting on my rating, but I have had some progress. I had my first back surgery. It helped with the numbness in my leg, but increased sciatic nerve pain. Waiting for another round of MRIs and will be discussing a spinal fusion with the doctor.

Don't want to make a new thread, but I do have a question. Has anyone here dealt with Ulnar Nerve Disfunction? This has been an issue for me for years, but it stayed as just a mild numbness with very limited strength reduction. However, it has changed to full numbness in the little finger radiating to outer portion of hand, partial numbness in ring finger and outer portion of forearm, and substantial reduction of strength in little finger.
    I was able to get an appt with my doc at the end of the month to discuss, but would also like to hear from someone who has dealt with it. Treatment, management, tips. My occu. therapist gave me some sock type elbow pads with 1/4" foam, but they are uncomfortable and didnt do crap.

8. Jan 13, 2015 at 9:59 PM
    Sgt Jmack

Sgt Jmack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremiah
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    14 Sport Dbl cab L/B
    3" Revtech, Undercover flex.
    So here's my personal experience with both the V.A. and Back injuries sustained while on AD in the Corps.

Yes, there are long lines that you may have to stand in. I was caught up in the scandal that started to be discovered in Phoenix. But I started my enrollment out in Jersey. The first VAMC I used was in Orange, N.J. One of the nurses walks up to me and asked if I had seen a patient, and described him to me. About 30 minutes she came up and asked me again. This time she told me that she had lost her patient whom the last time she saw him was in a gown, walking the halls. I left there and found another VAMC in Lions, N.J. and had a decent time while going there for Phys. Therapy.

I moved to Vegas for a few months and had an accident. I asked to see a doc after I was in the accident and was told I'll have to wait two months before I can actually see anyone. What B.S. I learned that I could go on base for certain issues if they were service connected, as long as the BAS has enough room.

I moved to Phoenix, shortly after that and was swept up in the system there. I was put on a waiting list for months to get in and see a Neurologist and other regular Doc's. I would be told that the Doc was being transferred and no one would be able to see me for months. Meanwhile I was not getting better. Simple things would get so bad that surgery would be needed when it could have been avoided had they listened to me and got to the problem sooner.

I received a colonoscopy, but had to wait months to get it. Then after I received it, I get a letter in the mail saying that there was a problem with the machine and it is possible the valve was put in backwards and fluid could have contacted me that was there from previous patients. I had to get so many blood tests and tissue tests for weeks and weeks to make sure I did not contract any disgusting blood born pathogens.

9. Jan 13, 2015 at 10:05 PM
    Sgt Jmack

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremiah
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    14 Sport Dbl cab L/B
    So as far as the fusion, I have a back problem, and after doing a crap ton of research, I found that the fusion does not work for the patient, but does for the Doc as they get paid for doing the work.

the problem is that there is a huge risk of infection first of all. then there is the simple fact that when you fuse two vert's together, it is ok for a little while after the initial fusion. Then you need to fuse the other surrounding/connecting vert's together and so on, until you are one long fused bone that is supposed to be flexible.

When something is made to be flexible, and you stop it from flexing it puts a lot of stress on the surrounding areas causing pain.

I have been going to the Chiropractor and Physical Therapy, Kinesio therapy and Occupational therapy for years and it has done wonders.

10. Jan 13, 2015 at 10:06 PM
    Sgt Jmack

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremiah
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    14 Sport Dbl cab L/B
    There is also a Doc in Tx. that is taking your own stem cells and injecting them in between the vert's to it repairs the disc and affected areas. But the V.A. won't cover it. You may want to look into it.

11. Jan 13, 2015 at 10:09 PM
    Sgt Jmack

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremiah
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    14 Sport Dbl cab L/B
    There are a few groups out there helping Vets navigate the VA. IAVA, American Legion, Vet Reps, Rep for Vets, Disabled American Veterans, VFW.

I'm not sure if you know or have talked to any one in any of these groups, but they are out there if you need them.

I know it is frustrating, and if you need any help I'll do what I can to assist you.

12. Jan 13, 2015 at 10:23 PM
    windsor

windsor Just a guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Homeless in Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Canopy, fitted seat covers, OBA with self leveling air bags, 100w solar, dual Rhino Rack Pioneer platforms, side & rear LED work/FU lights, CB, cell booster. 7x16 cargo conversion, 3" lift, 7'x6.5' fold down aluminum rear deck.
    Thanks for the info. I only personally know one person that has had a fusion done. But his feelings about it don't matter because the VA also give him a steroid injection every 6 months. So, I am definitely interested in what people have to say that have had one done.
    I know it would reduce function, just not how much. Like I told my doc when they wanted to give me steroid shots twice a year, I don't want a bandaid but to have the issue fixed.

13. Jan 13, 2015 at 10:27 PM
    windsor

windsor Just a guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Homeless in Oregon
    Vehicle:
    I've talked to a couple of veteran groups and also my congressman (which is what I think got me the surgery so quickly).
    Sorry to hear about the BS you dealt with. I spent some time dealing with the Phoenix VA, Portland VA is leaps and bounds better from my recent experiences.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  14. Mar 24, 2015 at 10:03 PM
    windsor

windsor Just a guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Homeless in Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Anyone mil folks have experience with pay issues and how quickly the VA reissues payment? Particularly backpay.
    Got my rating last week, and today they deposited a sizable amount into an account that isn't even with the same bank as the one on file for me. I already spoke with the VA (twice, first person said it was my fault and then hung up on me), and the local branch of the bank they sent the money to.
    Mainly, I was wondering if anyone has experience with something like this and the turn around time for the Treasury Dept and VA takes to correct the issue.

Back to the health side of this whole thing. I'm looking into low impact machines that I would be able to use, just trying to figure out what would be the best. I know many folks say free weights, however, I am not yet able I lift weight again and am waiting to have surgery on my ulnar nerve to get some feeling and grip back in my right hand (no need for a stranger joke, already heard it from a couple of the nurses).
    What would be a good machine to use in conjunction with physical therapy (treadmill for walking and stationary bike)? They didn't have any info to give as far as equipment to buy for use at home. I'm looking at the NordicTrack and BowFlex machines.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015

Products Discussed in

To Top