1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any double-edge shaver out there

Discussion in 'Health' started by Flowin, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Aug 9, 2014 at 12:10 PM
    Flowin

Flowin [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Acworth, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD OFF ROAD
    OME 3" lift, 265/75/16 KO2s, 35% tint
    I was just wondering, I switched a few years ago and never looked back.
    Better shaves and saves some $$ too.

Here's my set-up:
    image.jpg

Merkur slant bar and a Merkur 180 (long handle), usually use Derbys but sometimes throw a feather blade in the 180.

I heard it's making a comeback though lol

2. Aug 9, 2014 at 12:22 PM
    muddog67

muddog67 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have one of those , its the kind you wind up . It was my grand fathers .I have had it for 25 years and never used it .

3. Aug 9, 2014 at 12:25 PM
    davidpick

davidpick NWXPDTN

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Leavenworth, WA
    Vehicle:
    1988 Pickup 22R 5sp 2wd
    Weber 32/36, RV Cam, LCE exhaust headers, Desmogged
    I have and use a Merkur 34C with Crystal DE blades. Made the switch about 5 years ago and love it. Still use modern shaving gel though... ain't nobody got time for the old stuff haha

4. Aug 9, 2014 at 12:33 PM
    Flowin

Member:
    Acworth, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD OFF ROAD
    I use the old stuff (Arko) but apply it to my face and use the brush for 30 sec.

5. Sep 22, 2014 at 8:30 AM
    proavgeek

proavgeek Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner SR5 DCSB
    Stainless 5" Oval Step Tubes Katzkin Leather (OEM Style) Pop & Lock Tailgate Latch WeatherTech Floormats Rear Custom "Dog Proofing" Self Installed Toyota VIP Alarm
    I use a Gillette Fat Boy or Gillette Slim Adjustable with a Feather blade when I'm not using one of my straights. Here's a couple pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Sep 22, 2014 at 10:33 AM
    eazyrider711

eazyrider711 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Northern, CO
    Vehicle:
    Black DCSB T|X Baja
    I use a Merkur Futur with Merkur blades. I read that there is a Japanese blade out there that has just an incredible edge. I haven't needed it so haven't bothered to find it.

I don't like trying to use modern foams though. They clog up the razor and don't feel as slick to me as the glycerine soaps. Its all personal preference though.

7. Sep 22, 2014 at 10:42 AM
    Tribull

Tribull Have more than you show. Speak less than you know.

Member:
    Little Rock, AR
    Vehicle:
    2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad 4x4
    Bone stock. For now.
    This interests me very much. I've always wanted to try a straight razor to shave with, but wondered if there were any actual advantages to doing so.

8. Sep 22, 2014 at 10:44 AM
    proavgeek

proavgeek Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner SR5 DCSB
    Stainless 5" Oval Step Tubes Katzkin Leather (OEM Style) Pop & Lock Tailgate Latch WeatherTech Floormats Rear Custom "Dog Proofing" Self Installed Toyota VIP Alarm
    Here you go... http://amzn.to/1sV0sL8

9. Sep 22, 2014 at 10:46 AM
    eazyrider711

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Northern, CO
    Vehicle:
    Black DCSB T|X Baja
    The straight razor is asking for trouble IMO. At least start with a safety razor and see if that scratches your itch. You really have to be careful with the straight edge and even then it isn't hard to slice your face up. :(

10. Sep 22, 2014 at 10:49 AM
    Maksimus54

Maksimus54 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 TRD OR
    Gillette Fatboy and feather blades make for an awesome shave on my face. I like the Proraso for cheap cream or LA Shave Co. if I want to get fancy. Finish up with Speick aftershave and I'm a happy smooth faced man.

11. Sep 22, 2014 at 10:50 AM
    proavgeek

proavgeek Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner SR5 DCSB
    Both double edged razors and straights are much more gentle on your face than cartridge razors. With each pass of the razor you are only pulling one blade over your face instead of many like the cartridge razors do. I had pretty bad acne and constant facial irritation until I switched and I've never turned back. Another benefit comes from using a shaving soap or cream and brush because of a lack of nasty stuff that's found in canned foam.

My suggestion would be to start with a double edged safety razor and then make the switch after you get the basics mastered. In my opinion straights are more gentle than any removable blade though... As easyrider posted it is easier to make nasty mistakes but, I started off with straights after shaving for about a year with DE and even after almost a year and a half of using them I still haven't cut myself. Actually, I get more little nicks and weepers from my DE than my Straights. But, that's just me and might be my OCD saving me from disaster LOL!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  12. Sep 22, 2014 at 10:56 AM
    Tribull

Tribull Have more than you show. Speak less than you know.

Member:
    Little Rock, AR
    Vehicle:
    2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad 4x4
    Bone stock. For now.
    Thanks for all the info and input! Would one of these Gillettes be a good place to start? It sounds like I may be able to pick one up at Walgreen's. If not, do you have an opinion on a good place for a newcomer to start as far as products go?

13. Sep 22, 2014 at 11:02 AM
    proavgeek

proavgeek Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner SR5 DCSB
    Do a quick lookup of How To Grow a Moustache and check out the shop. I love the soaps and I think they have some nice razors too...

The biggest suggestion that I have is to get good soap or cream and a brush. I don't mean to plug another forum but do a search for The Shave Den and have a look around. The guys and gals there are a huge help when getting started... If you express interest someone might even PIF you a razor :).

Both of the Gillettes are Vintage and while you can find them in my opinion an adjustable is not a good starting point. Take the adjustment out of the equation for a little while. Keep it simple to start with like the OP's setup and then work from there...

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  14. Sep 22, 2014 at 11:05 AM
    eazyrider711

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Northern, CO
    Vehicle:
    Black DCSB T|X Baja
    Amazon is my go to for supplies. Figure out what your budget is then buy. The nice thing is you can get some fancy stuff and still come out ahead when compared to cartridge razors. I spent $15 on blades about 5 years ago and still have a box or two left. I do wear a beard so I don't shave as much or as often as most, but blades are so much cheaper.

I like Merkur brand for razors and Proraso glycerine shaving soap.

15. Sep 22, 2014 at 11:15 AM
    proavgeek

proavgeek Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner SR5 DCSB
    +1

16. Oct 3, 2014 at 4:05 AM
    Flowin

Member:
    Acworth, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD OFF ROAD
    I might get rid of the slant and buy the merkur future which is adjustable, 95% I use my 180, it's really gentle vs the sometimes too aggressive slant, it just exposes too much blade for me. That should not be a problem with the adjustable future.

17. Oct 3, 2014 at 4:22 AM
    TacomaRobert

TacomaRobert Well-Known Member

Member:
    I bought a merkur too! The straight sort handle. Not adjustable ... It holds blade perfect and stable. .

Got tired of buying $200 electric razors that rip out my tough beard and takes 5 minutes to shave cause have to do a dozen passes leaving my face all red and the shave isn't close. Yes, electric barely ok for first few weeks when new but they don't last long.

Got my merkur and feather blades and awesome gel. Love it. I can go without shaving for a week and it's as comfortable as the next day.

My complexion has gotten better without all of the irritation and ingrown whiskers.

This is how I shave from now on.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  18. Oct 3, 2014 at 4:46 AM
    basalty

basalty Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    I use my grandfathers 1956 Gillette Super Speed. Ive had it since he passed, and dug it out about 2 years ago. I haven't used anything else since. Proraso cream lathers well and is cheap and easy to find. Been through a couple of brushes (boar and badger) and found that badger works best for me. A buddy found a Gillette Fatboy on ebay for 10 bucks, and he is a convert! Give it a try, your face will thank you. For blades I would suggest buying a sample pack and pick a blade that works best for you.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  19. Oct 3, 2014 at 6:27 AM
    eazyrider711

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Northern, CO
    Vehicle:
    Black DCSB T|X Baja
    Beyond the cost savings, this was another issue. Me and my brothers all have coarse beards and after I started this, I gave them each a kit. Its so much better on your face to have one clean pass and done. If I'm going to something fancy, I may do one pass down, one pass up, but never more than that.

One other thing I do is use this Thayers Lavender Witch Hazel Toner.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PP15L8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A19CUKV1OE0OF2

After the shave, before lotion, it helps calm the skin and feels great.

20. Oct 3, 2014 at 7:11 AM
    Winker

Winker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2019 Subaru WRX
    Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to have to look into this. It's mind blowing how much money I can save.

Products Discussed in

To Top