1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Kidney stones are ruining my summer.....

Discussion in 'Health' started by hillbillynwv, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Jun 9, 2009 at 11:18 AM
    hillbillynwv

hillbillynwv [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fairmont, WV
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma 6MT TRD Pro
    Falken Wildpeak MT 285's
    I'm currently in my 3rd fight with kidney stones and to make matters worse it came this time with a uninary tract infection. This all started the night of May 27 and I haven't been back to work sense. I currently have a "stent" inside of me now which has the stone wedged in my ureter. They can't remove the stent and stone untill my urinary tract infection is clear up which it isn't yet. When it is, they will remove the current stent and stone and put another stent back in. I have no pain from the stone now because it is wedged by the stent inside my ureter. Having a stent sucks, you feel like doing nothing when this 30cm tube is up inside of you. My first kidney stone happened in 1989.....then number two was in 2001.....and now number three. The docs now are telling me to drink a lot of lemon-aid because it helps dissolve them. I was always told cranberry juice but now they say that's good only for the bladder and does nothing to stones. I'm also on a high potent antibiotic that makes me sick. My stone in 2001 was made up entirely of calcium. If you've had stones share your horror stories with me. I need to go lay down now, I tire easily.

2. Jun 9, 2009 at 11:23 AM
    KMN-BLU

KMN-BLU less work/more play

Member:
    Destin, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
    Been there, hated that. I used to get them so bad I started collecting them and I have a jar with about 10 of them in it. That is the worse pain I have ever felt when you are trying to piss one of those big ones out. Good luck, I feel your pain.

I starting drinking a large amount of water everyday and I have successfully not had one in about 3 years now. Keep those kidneys flushed and it keeps that from happening.

3. Jun 9, 2009 at 11:31 AM
    argm31i

argm31i Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ditto - had some several times...very much no fun. Especially when they do a lithotripsy (sp?) on you (put you in water and blast them with sound waves) and forget to tell you that when you wake up, you'll have a stent inside you. Very freaky...also terrible to take out when the doc says, we don't use anesthesia to take those out...grab that bar right there and bear down...aaaaaaaah.

4. Jun 9, 2009 at 11:34 AM
    KMN-BLU

KMN-BLU less work/more play

Member:
    Destin, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
    For those lucky enough to have never had to endure this pain it feels like you are pushing a bowling ball through your pecker. Most of it is caused by a calcium deposit that builds up in your kidneys and turns into a hardened stone like object. It looks like a black cuckle burr with edges like knife blades. They range in size from small to marble like to the point they cannot be passed and must be surgically removed. The pain has been compared to childbirth times 10.

Dehydration of the body allow these to form quickly in your kidneys.

It will make you curl up in a fetus position and cry like a baby. You will sweat your ass off as your body dont get what the hell is trying to come out of a place it shouldnt even be in.

Get over that infection, endure the cramps, and then prepare to scream as the fire comes out your pecker. I had total blockage once from a large one and it built up til it shot that damn thing out like a cannon ball. I almost passed out.

Good luck, get well, and drink anything you can frequently to keep those kidneys flushed of calcium. OUCH.

5. Jun 9, 2009 at 11:51 AM
    bobwilson1977

bobwilson1977 Well-Known Member

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD ( pizza delivery model)
    none except for crappy hub caps and floor mats.
    I feel your pain. I tend to get NASTY urinary tract infections. Talk about terrible.

6. Jun 9, 2009 at 3:13 PM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    I feel your pain. I had a stone get stuck a few years back and had to have it surgically removed. The surgery was easy compared to the 3 weeks leading up to it. Like someone above said, curled up in the fetal position and sweating. I was in the hospital twice before they removed it. I was pretty sore when I wake up but I honestly felt 100% better, and I could have some food and enjoy it for the first time in 3 weeks. Good luck with it.

7. Jun 9, 2009 at 4:27 PM
    spp

spp OC, Kalifornia

Member:
    OC California
    Please watch that infection thing closely.
    Just a few minutes ago there was a piece on the news about a woman who went in for a stone, was given pain meds and sent home.
    Hospitalized the next day with an infection and slipped into a coma.
    She woke up and they had cut off her hands and feet due to Gangus.
    Scarey stuff.:eek:

8. Jun 10, 2009 at 5:45 AM
    wing103

wing103 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport / Dark Gray
    Grill Craft upper & Lower Grill WetOK Seat Cover, Devil Horn, Bug, Windows Deflector, Side step Bar, HID 55W 8000K Headlight, HID 35W 4000K Foglight, Fog Light Mod, Interior LED Map Light Mod, Electric Tail Gate Lock, Leer Cab, Key ring light, Bed LED lights Mod, Kenwood DNX5120, Signal Mirror with Heat
    I can feel your pain too, take it easy! I wish you get well soon!

9. Jun 10, 2009 at 5:53 AM
    07tacoark

07tacoark Still kickin like a chicken!

Member:
    First Name:
    Red
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 SR5 & 19 TRD-OR 4x4
    Lots on 07 ... getting started on 19
    yep... kidney stones officially suck! had my first one the day i turned 21. had a few since then but nothin as major as the first one.

havent heard of drinkin lemonade to dissolve stones... odd...

i used to have UTIs pretty often, then i went to school for massage therapy, started drinkin water and i havent had any since... or kidney stones for that matter.

and i like the taste of cranberry juice now bc of all of it i had to drink :rolleyes:

good luck with the whole stint thing. maybe u need to change up yur diet, im sure cuttin out on certain things will help to keep the stones from formin

10. Jun 10, 2009 at 11:25 AM
    Simon2150

Simon2150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 SR5
    I hope you get well soon.

11. Jun 12, 2009 at 2:14 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    One of the guys I used to work with drank soda (think it was Mt Dew) ALL DAY LONG. Doc's said there was something in the soda that could cause the stones, especially when drinken (?? drunk ??) in large quantities. He quit the Dew and didn't have any more problems. He started drinking water instead...

Good luck with getting rid of your problems

12. Jun 12, 2009 at 2:18 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    yup ditto on the Mt dew. Buddy had em bad one year. Doc told him to quit drinkin the Dew, and no more since then

13. Jun 12, 2009 at 11:37 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    My wife said soda in general due to the high sodium content. I had one I finally passed early this week. My 3rd or 4th one now, and it lasted about a week. Since then I've been drinking juice, water or tea at work instead of pepsi. Seems to be helping. Cutting out the soda helped pass it I think as normally I can get them out in a couple days, and this one took longer until I had cut out the soda for a couple days. Was taking 1000mg's of tylenol every 4 hours just to keep the baseball bat to the back feeling in check, and reduce the "gotta go" pain. lol NOT fun.

But I seem to be feeling better in general since cutting out the pepsi. :laugh: Less headaches, easier time going to the bathroom in general, just feel "better".

Products Discussed in

To Top