Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Homebrewing

Notices

Started a Cider Tonight.....

Old 11-14-2010, 09:26 PM   #1
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Started a Cider Tonight.....

So I was talking to a guy the other day who had started a batch of apple cider. It sounded incredibly easy, so I decided to make a batch. I bought 4 gallons (just picked an amount) of locally grown apple cider at the farmer's market and some White Labs English Cider yeast WLP775. Put it all in a carboy tonight.

I'm not sure what else I need to do other than transfer it to a secondary in a week or so, then bottle it once it gets clear. Anyone else ever made cider before?
Old 11-14-2010, 09:41 PM   #2
You think I was rollin out here naked?
ToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MA
ToucanV13's Tacoma Gallery
I know you gotta be careful with the sediment at the bottom or it ruins the batch; atleast that's what my old man told me
Old 11-14-2010, 09:43 PM   #3
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Just an FYI, I know people who have gotten very ill making this stuff. Probably mainly due to stupidity, but it did happen.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:45 PM   #4
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I know you gotta be careful with the sediment at the bottom or it ruins the batch; atleast that's what my old man told me
Yeah, at least with beer you don't want to leave it in the primary stage too long or the sediment will change the flavor. I'm assuming the same is true for cider.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:49 PM   #5

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
Just an FYI, I know people who have gotten very ill making this stuff. Probably mainly due to stupidity, but it did happen.
Thanks for the heads up. I do my best to be careful. I clean and sanitize everything before I use it. Also the apple cider is pasteurized so it should be pretty safe.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:00 AM   #6
You think I was rollin out here naked?
ToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MA
ToucanV13's Tacoma Gallery
Let us know how it turns out; if it's good, send me some
Old 11-15-2010, 08:40 PM   #7

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucanV13 View Post
Let us know how it turns out; if it's good, send me some

In exchange for a bottle of Stone Double Bastard.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:46 AM   #8
korslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
korslite's Tacoma Gallery
Wife prepping to bottle a batch of our apple-cran-pom cider

Old 12-23-2010, 07:49 AM   #9
ppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phuong
ppham444's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by korslite View Post

That's hot.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:54 AM   #10
bishes love my haircut
Gr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Gr8WhiteTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Gr8WhiteTaco
If it turns out good, I'm heading your way
Old 01-02-2011, 10:55 PM   #11
Beerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
Beerrun's Tacoma Gallery
Started a Cider Tonight.....-dsc02925.jpg

Don't know anything about Cider... Don't know much about Mead, so I hope this turns out. Two months too bottle and a couple more for the best taste. That's a big time commitment, but it should be soooo good.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:53 AM   #12

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
So I totally forgot that I started this thread. I bottled the cider in January I think. I am pretty pleased with the outcome. It's extremely crisp and dry like Strongbow, probably because the yeast I used was an English cider yeast. I have tasted some off flavors here and there but it's not consistent with every bottle. Some are really good and others have a slight bitter taste. It didn't carbonate very well, but it's cider not beer. Since I bottled it the clarity has gotten even better so I think I'll leave it longer in the fermenter next time. Alcohol content is pretty up there, I think I measured/guessed at around 14% but I'd have to check my notes to be sure. If I make it again I'll add some pectin at the beginning, let it sit in the fermenter longer, and probably rack it a few times to leave the sediment behind. Something I read said that it isn't ready to bottle unless you can read the newspaper through it. Mine's that way now after being in the bottle for a while.

Overall I'm glad I made it and pleased with the results. I'll refine the process next time and hopefully it will turn out even better.

BTW, just opened a bottle of my first lager a few weeks ago and it was pretty f'ing awesome. Bought the ingredients as a kit from northern brewer. Fermented it in my basement where the temp is around 55*F all winter. Next year I'm not going to wait until the middle of winter to start a lager or cider.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:29 AM   #14

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Nope, just room temp around 70*. I guess my last comment was a little unclear. They harvest apples in the fall so that's when you can buy fresh apple cider. You don't have to use fresh cider, but I'd think the results are probably better with it. So if I start one earlier in the fall and let it ferment longer, then hopefully it will still be ready sometime during the winter.

Here's the info on the yeast I used from White Labs
WLP775 English Cider Yeast:
Classic cider yeast. Ferments dry, but retains flavor from apples. Sulfur is produced during fermentation, but will disappear in first two weeks of aging. Can also be used for wine and high gravity beers.
Attenuation: >80%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 68-75°F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium-High (8-12%)

The sulfur note from above may have contributed to some of the off flavors I was tasting. I had some last week and didn't taste anything strange so hopefully that was it.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:33 AM   #15

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by korslite View Post

Is that a Carlo Rossi jug? Does it hold the carbonation during the bottle conditioning?
Old 04-04-2011, 07:58 AM   #16
korslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
korslite's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by afd23a View Post
Is that a Carlo Rossi jug? Does it hold the carbonation during the bottle conditioning?
Haha yeah it is a Rossi bottle. Its funny what you get when you ask friends to save bottles for you. Thats some top of the line wine right there! And, no it did not hold carbonation. Truth be told, that batch didn't carb at all ... it was our first attempt and I think it just sat in the fermenter long enough to drop nearly all yeast out of suspension and I didn't swirl any up when we bottled.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:12 AM   #17

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Haha, I know what you mean. I was curious cause I have a few growlers that I was considering using when bottling. I'm guessing that's not what they're meant for though.

I've had that problem when having a batch in a long secondary. A guy at the homebrew supply store told me I could repitch yeast a few days before bottling. He said it really didn't matter if it was the exact same yeast used in the primary, but probably want to stick to the same type (ale vs lager). I've done it a few times and it definitely makes a difference in the carbonation on beers. The interesting thing is I used some cheap ale yeast on the cider a few days before bottling but it still didn't carbonate very well. Maybe I should have used champagne yeast.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:15 AM   #18
Erll is a splendid one to beholdErll is a splendid one to beholdErll is a splendid one to beholdErll is a splendid one to beholdErll is a splendid one to beholdErll is a splendid one to beholdErll is a splendid one to behold

Firefighter: Navy Nuke MM2, USS Albany
Name: My Name is Erll
Erll's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone do home distiling here ?
Old 04-27-2011, 09:54 AM   #19

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erll View Post
Does anyone do home distiling here ?
I think it's illegal in TN without a license to distill spirits.

Here's some info from http://www.homedistiller.org

Quote:
Americans

Tough out of luck - see the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, their FAQ page, and some of the latest ammended laws. You will find ....
  • Spirits
    You cannot produce spirits for beverage purposes without paying taxes and without prior approval of paperwork to operate a distilled spirits plant. [See 26 U.S.C. 5601 & 5602 for some of the criminal penalties.] There are numerous requirements that must be met that make it impractical to produce spirits for personal or beverage use. Some of these requirements are paying special tax, filing an extensive application, filing a bond, providing adequate equipment to measure spirits, providing suitable tanks and pipelines, providing a separate building (other than a dwelling) and maintaining detailed records, and filing reports. All of these requirements are listed in 27 CFR Part 19.

Ray emailed the BATF for the reference statutes concerning home distillation. Here is their response:

Ray, you have not been able to locate anything on home production because there is no provision for it. Moonshining is still illegal!! Unlike wine or beer, the laws and regulations governing distilled spirits contain no provision that would allow someone to produce spirits in their home for personal use. Under 26 U.S.C. Section 5171 operations as a distiller, warehouseman or processor may be conducted only on the bonded premises of a qualified distilled spirits plant. To qualify such a plant, a registration, application for permit and bond must be filed in addition to other supporting organizational documents. 26 U.S.C. 5178 places restrictions on where a plant can be located. Hope this answers your question.

Carol Coy
    Industry Specialist
    National Revenue Center-Cincinnati, OH
    Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms
    e-mail: cjcoy@cinc.atf.treas.gov
What all this basically comes down to is ...
1. Americans can own a still, but it must be no larger than 1 gallon, and may only be used for water purification or the extraction of essential oils from plants.
2.Dealers/manufacturers of stills in the United States must surrender any address or other info on any customer who buys a still to the BATF, when they request it.(no warrant is required.)

What this means is that anyone who buys a still in America can at any time expect a knock at the door and a man with a badge demanding to see what is being done with the still they bought. How this effects the companies seen advertising 5 gallon stills for use as a water purifier, was not listed, nor is there any info on solar stills. It is probably VERY illegal to import a still too.

If you're trying the angle of making alcohol as a fuel (yes, this is legal!), see Steve Spence's site for all the details.

Whats the cost of doing it right ? Don advises ...
  • State (varies from $75-$3,150 per year) & a Federal license ($500 per year) plus State & Fed. production taxes. Registration of all supplies, suppliers, formulas (Subject to classification and approval) and label reg. (Subject to classification and approval). More paperwork than money. If you already have a brewery or winery (bonded premisis) an "alternation of premisis" may be obtained to operate a distillery (with the additional license) on site. Well worth the trouble, because there is still room at the top.
Pop advises:
  • How to obtain an alcohol fuel permit in the US. Here are some basic guidelines to get you started.

For fed. rules and regs. Go to http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov .

In the browse box, select "title 27"
    Where it says "browse parts" click on the numbers "1-199"
    Scroll down to "part 19" (Distilled spirits plant)and click on the numbers "19.1 to 19.1010"
    You are only interested in "subpart Y" (Distilled spirits for fuel)

If you just want to produce fuel for personal use, and to be used on your own property, you aren't subject to bonds, taxes, and denaturing your product unless it is removed from the premises.

If this is what you want, then you will want to choose the "small plant" ( less than 10,000 proof-gallons per year)A proof-gallon is a US gallon times proof divided by 100.

For an on line permit application � click on the following link� http://www.ttb.gov/forms/pdfs/f510074.pdf

Or you can call them toll free and request a permit packet. There is no charge for the permit

Tax and Trade Bureau
    National Revenue Center
    550 Main Street Suite 8002
    Cincinnati, Ohio 45202
    Toll Free 1-877-TTB-FAQS (1-877-882-3277)
    (513)-684-3334

To learn more about alcohol fuel production check out this site. http://running_on_alcohol.tripod.com
Old 04-27-2011, 09:58 AM   #20
Erll is a splendid one to beholdErll is a splendid one to beholdErll is a splendid one to beholdErll is a splendid one to beholdErll is a splendid one to beholdErll is a splendid one to beholdErll is a splendid one to behold

Firefighter: Navy Nuke MM2, USS Albany
Name: My Name is Erll
Erll's Tacoma Gallery
I knew about the regs , that is why I only distill for fuel (weed eater and leafblower 2cycle). Just was wondering if anyone did the same. I only put out about 5 gallons a year