Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Homebrewing

Notices

Pro brewer. New tacoma owner.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:03 AM   #21
BeerGuy is on a distinguished road
BeerGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
A good IPA with a spicy meal is damn near heaven on Earth. I'm weeping tears of joy just thinking about it.

Welcome to TW, great truck, great career, great city. You must suffer from terrible bouts of depression.
It's a tough life.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:43 AM   #22
korslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
korslite's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGuy View Post
Cool. Kudos to you for brewing your first batch. Homebrewing is a great hobby. Let me know how the beer comes out.

Stone is a great place to visit. The bistro is really good. Great beer selection. Food is good too.
Little update on that first batch of beer we brewed. We just hosted a homebrew and dinner party at our place this past weekend with about 14 friends who all have either been brewing beer and ciders for a few years or those who like us have recently gotten into it. The Pale we brewed was a great hit! I had really been enjoying it, but it was great seeing everyone else enjoy it as well! My favorite of the night was by far my buddy's Ruination IPA Clone though, no surprise since i'm a Stone fanboy...

Soon to come Black IPA (sitting in secondary waiting for dry hop and bottling) and a Red we brewed just before the party on saturday. This is quickly getting addicting
Old 05-21-2011, 12:23 PM   #23
Mall Crawler of the Year
TRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
TRDBen's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW, your guy's beer is awesome!
Old 05-21-2011, 12:30 PM   #24
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
I find an ice cold beer in a hot shower just before work is awsome. It it just me?
Old 11-04-2011, 01:28 PM   #25
Frobozz has much to be proud ofFrobozz has much to be proud ofFrobozz has much to be proud ofFrobozz has much to be proud ofFrobozz has much to be proud ofFrobozz has much to be proud ofFrobozz has much to be proud ofFrobozz has much to be proud of
Frobozz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Anyways, I am a professional brewer at Stone Brewing Company in San Diego, CA.
Thank you for Ruination Ale.

Just saw this forum myself. I don't do as much home brewing anymore, but have been doing it since the mid-70's. Still do small, 5 gal, batches ... sometimes all-grain, but not so much lately... getting lazy. I have several 5 gal kegs and have tried to make a Ruination Ale clone, but have failed to make anything as good.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:58 PM   #26
︻╦╤─
Doc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HM1 (FMF/SW/AW)
Name: Frank
Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
normally bumping an old thread is frowned upon, but when it involves BEER....who cares and the fact that it's Stone Brewing...Woo Hoo..!!
Old 02-17-2012, 10:26 PM   #27
THIS IS AMERICA!!!
Cortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cortland
Cortland's Tacoma Gallery
BeerGuy,

If you wouldn't mind, could you tell me how to get into the brewing business? Is it a fairly rewarding career path? I graduated a year and a half ago with a construction management degree and as we all know the economy has taken its tole on the industry and I am assessing other options at this point.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:07 AM   #28
BeerGuy is on a distinguished road
BeerGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortland View Post
BeerGuy,

If you wouldn't mind, could you tell me how to get into the brewing business? Is it a fairly rewarding career path? I graduated a year and a half ago with a construction management degree and as we all know the economy has taken its tole on the industry and I am assessing other options at this point.
Well, the craft beer industry is exploding right now so there are definitely plenty of jobs. There are a few things though, most jobs are entry level. Experience is everything in this industry. If you want a good brewing job you will need to put a few years as an assistant somewhere. There are brewing schools and they definitely help, I went to Siebel Institute, but you won't get a job as a brewmaster straight out of school. Another thing is that most job openings get swamped with applications because everybody wants to be a brewer. You'll need something to help you stand out (brewing school, extensive homebrewing experience, volunteering at a brewery). Finally, pay is pretty low at the entry level. Like I said, hundreds of people apply for brewing jobs and some of them will work for next to nothing because brewing is their dream job. That drives the pay scale down. My recommendation is to approach brewing openings as a professional, and not as a fan. Good luck.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:41 PM   #29
THIS IS AMERICA!!!
Cortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cortland
Cortland's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well, the craft beer industry is exploding right now so there are definitely plenty of jobs. There are a few things though, most jobs are entry level. Experience is everything in this industry. If you want a good brewing job you will need to put a few years as an assistant somewhere. There are brewing schools and they definitely help, I went to Siebel Institute, but you won't get a job as a brewmaster straight out of school. Another thing is that most job openings get swamped with applications because everybody wants to be a brewer. You'll need something to help you stand out (brewing school, extensive homebrewing experience, volunteering at a brewery). Finally, pay is pretty low at the entry level. Like I said, hundreds of people apply for brewing jobs and some of them will work for next to nothing because brewing is their dream job. That drives the pay scale down. My recommendation is to approach brewing openings as a professional, and not as a fan. Good luck.

I appreciate all of the incite. I am actually off to Stone Brewery for my first time in about 20 minutes
Old 03-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #30
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
^^^^^ Enjoy! and take PICS!