Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Homebrewing

Notices

Pro brewer. New tacoma owner.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:59 AM   #1
BeerGuy is on a distinguished road
BeerGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Pro brewer. New tacoma owner.

Wow. I was pretty surprised to find a homebrewing section in this forum. I am new to tacomas, but I have always been a car tinkerer. I have owned, and tinkered with, many VWs. I just bought my first truck, '09 tacoma prerunner. I'm really happy with it so far. I usually get pretty obsessed with my cars, so I anticipate that I will become very familiar with Tacoma World.

Anyways, I am a professional brewer at Stone Brewing Company in San Diego, CA. I love brewing, homebrewing and "big" brewing. I love talking beer too. I went to brewing school in Chicago and Munich, Germany. If anybody has a brewing question, feel free to ask. Hopefully this section of the forums will get some action, and we can chat about beer and trucks. Cheers to all the tacoma owning brewers!
Old 01-25-2011, 08:22 AM   #2
scott504 will become famous soon enough
scott504's Tacoma Gallery
BeerGuy you have my dream job. I've been home brewing (extract) for about 3 years now off an on, I need to get off my ass and get brewing.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:25 AM   #3
TacoSupreme is a name known to allTacoSupreme is a name known to allTacoSupreme is a name known to allTacoSupreme is a name known to allTacoSupreme is a name known to allTacoSupreme is a name known to all

TacoSupreme's Tacoma Gallery
Where's good links for supplies? Thanks and Welcome.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:30 AM   #4
scott504 will become famous soon enough
scott504's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSupreme View Post
I buy the majority of my ingredients at northernbrewer.com, I also have a local shop but their prices are high.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:15 PM   #5
korslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
korslite's Tacoma Gallery
BeerGuy, congrats for such a great brewery, you guys' IPA is my fav everyday beer, great work down there. I need to make my way down your way to check Stone out in person.
The wife and I just whipped our first batch of beer up from an extract kit as well and hope to learn much much more about brewing beer. We are eagerly waiting to bottle and ultimately taste our first batch! TW seemed like un unlikely place to go for brewing advice but apparently that isn't the case anymore!
Old 01-25-2011, 01:17 PM   #6
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: RM/ET2(SS) veteran
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
Why does everybody like the Stone IPA? Or IPA's in general?

Can't stand them.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:17 PM   #7
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW!

And we know ... we're not worthy.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:18 PM   #8
OB.BAJA is on a distinguished road

Name: Obed
OB.BAJA's Tacoma Gallery
Escondido Stone Brewery FTW
Old 01-25-2011, 01:19 PM   #9
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjboutin View Post

Can't stand them.
Hops are an acquired taste. I actually wasn't a fan either until I tried Hopasaurus Rex from Steelhead Bewery while in Eugene, Oregon. Turned me into a believer.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:20 PM   #10
The Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nick
The Yellow Dart's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Can't stand them.
It's a preference thing.

I personally like a red or amber much better than an IPA. Many people swear by Belgians. Some people like Miller Lite (my Dad).

I think that IPAs tend to get a lot of talk because they're very robust, and you can easily sift through the complexities of malt and hops. It's kind of like when wine people get together and talk about Pinot Noir. It's trendy.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:21 PM   #11
She's got the jimmy legs
Toyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Toyotacrawler's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW!
Old 01-25-2011, 01:22 PM   #12
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: RM/ET2(SS) veteran
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yellow Dart View Post
It's a preference thing.

I personally like a red or amber much better than an IPA. Many people swear by Belgians. Some people like Miller Lite (my Dad).

I think that IPAs tend to get a lot of talk because they're very robust, and you can easily sift through the complexities of malt and hops. It's kind of like when wine people get together and talk about Pinot Noir. It's trendy.
I like amber lagers and Hefs the best.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:23 PM   #13
The Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nick
The Yellow Dart's Tacoma Gallery
Oh, and welcome to TW!
Old 01-25-2011, 04:31 PM   #14
BeerGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSupreme View Post
It's always good to support your local homebrew shop. I usually go to my local shop for yeast and any last minute supplies. For hard to find stuff, and for big purchases, northernbrewer.com and morebeer.com are pretty much the best online stores out there.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:50 PM   #15
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW!! I've been home-brewing for about 3 years now. Just finished up some hard cider and have some NB world wide lager in secondary right now. I had a chance to visit NB in Milwaukee last month and picked up a few extract kits. The guys at the store were super helpful, but man....they've literally got PHD's in yeast...who knew.

Pretty awesome that you work at Stone. Arrogant Bastard is still one of my favorites.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:50 PM   #16
BeerGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by korslite View Post
BeerGuy, congrats for such a great brewery, you guys' IPA is my fav everyday beer, great work down there. I need to make my way down your way to check Stone out in person.
The wife and I just whipped our first batch of beer up from an extract kit as well and hope to learn much much more about brewing beer. We are eagerly waiting to bottle and ultimately taste our first batch! TW seemed like un unlikely place to go for brewing advice but apparently that isn't the case anymore!
Cool. Kudos to you for brewing your first batch. Homebrewing is a great hobby. Let me know how the beer comes out.

Stone is a great place to visit. The bistro is really good. Great beer selection. Food is good too.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:00 PM   #17
BeerGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Can't stand them.

Bitterness is an acquired taste. A human's natural instinct is to spit out something that is bitter. For some reason if you try it enough, you learn to love it.

IPAs can also contain many pleasant flavors. Pine, floral, herbal, and all ranges of citrus can be found in IPAs. They can be very interesting beers.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:05 PM   #18
Hillbilly 4X4
Pat 13 is a name known to allPat 13 is a name known to allPat 13 is a name known to allPat 13 is a name known to allPat 13 is a name known to allPat 13 is a name known to all

Pat 13's Tacoma Gallery
Another homebrewer here...Doing all grain 10G batches.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:29 PM   #19
Servant of Ninkasi
Toby is one of the sharper tools in the shedToby is one of the sharper tools in the shedToby is one of the sharper tools in the shedToby is one of the sharper tools in the shedToby is one of the sharper tools in the shedToby is one of the sharper tools in the shedToby is one of the sharper tools in the shedToby is one of the sharper tools in the shedToby is one of the sharper tools in the shedToby is one of the sharper tools in the shedToby is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Toby's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGuy View Post
Anyways, I am a professional brewer at Stone Brewing Company in San Diego, CA. I love brewing, homebrewing and "big" brewing. I love talking beer too. I went to brewing school in Chicago and Munich, Germany. If anybody has a brewing question, feel free to ask. Hopefully this section of the forums will get some action, and we can chat about beer and trucks. Cheers to all the tacoma owning brewers!
Love Arrogant Bastard on draft. I was surprised to find a homebrewing forum too. Hope to see a fair bit of activity.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:34 PM   #20
Spitfire is a jewel in the roughSpitfire is a jewel in the roughSpitfire is a jewel in the rough
Navy: Surface Warfare
Spitfire's Tacoma Gallery
A good IPA with a spicy meal is damn near heaven on Earth. I'm weeping tears of joy just thinking about it.

Welcome to TW, great truck, great career, great city. You must suffer from terrible bouts of depression.