LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Homebrewing

Notices

Yeast Starters

Old 03-18-2011, 06:52 PM   #1
scott504 will become famous soon enough
scott504's Tacoma Gallery
Yeast Starters

I am looking to buy a yeast starter kit but I am not sure whether I should get a 1000 or 2000ml flask. I only do 5g batches. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:19 PM   #3
Servant of Ninkasi
Toby is one of the sharper tools in the shedToby is one of the sharper tools in the shedToby is one of the sharper tools in the shedToby is one of the sharper tools in the shedToby is one of the sharper tools in the shedToby is one of the sharper tools in the shedToby is one of the sharper tools in the shedToby is one of the sharper tools in the shedToby is one of the sharper tools in the shedToby is one of the sharper tools in the shedToby is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Toby's Tacoma Gallery
I use the 2000mL, but I only boil about 1000mL (around 1/2 lb of DME with water to hit the 1000mL mark). Leaves enough space to avoid boil-overs usually and can ferment/propagate without blowing off.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:35 AM   #4
BeerGuy is on a distinguished road
BeerGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott504 View Post
I am looking to buy a yeast starter kit but I am not sure whether I should get a 1000 or 2000ml flask. I only do 5g batches. Any input would be appreciated.

The bigger the better. Remember, the higher the starting gravity the bigger the starter needs to be. Lagers need really big starters too. It's always a good idea to have an oversized starter flask.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:41 AM   #5
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGuy View Post
The bigger the better. Remember, the higher the starting gravity the bigger the starter needs to be. Lagers need really big starters too. It's always a good idea to have an oversized starter flask.
he is the beer guy
Old 06-21-2011, 07:40 AM   #6
Xshark will become famous soon enough

Name: Michael
Xshark's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think I've ever used a yeast starter.
Perhaps I should?

Recently, I've been using Wyeast Activator. Just smash the package, and let it swell. Add to wort & ferment.

Thoughts?
http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_productd...m?ProductID=16
Old 06-21-2011, 09:45 AM   #7
Servant of Ninkasi
Toby is one of the sharper tools in the shedToby is one of the sharper tools in the shedToby is one of the sharper tools in the shedToby is one of the sharper tools in the shedToby is one of the sharper tools in the shedToby is one of the sharper tools in the shedToby is one of the sharper tools in the shedToby is one of the sharper tools in the shedToby is one of the sharper tools in the shedToby is one of the sharper tools in the shedToby is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Toby's Tacoma Gallery
I use the Activators, but I typically do starters. I want to get as many yeasties in there as I can to make sure nothing else gets to eat the sugar.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:52 AM   #8
korslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
korslite's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby View Post
I use the Activators, but I typically do starters. I want to get as many yeasties in there as I can to make sure nothing else gets to eat the sugar.
This is what I do as well. Unless we are doing a low gravity ale. Or if we decide to run and grab ingredients and brew without pre planning. Will be making a starter tonight I think for an IPA tomorrow.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:39 AM   #9
BeerGuy is on a distinguished road
BeerGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xshark View Post
I don't think I've ever used a yeast starter.
Perhaps I should?

Recently, I've been using Wyeast Activator. Just smash the package, and let it swell. Add to wort & ferment.

Thoughts?
http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_productd...m?ProductID=16
The wyeast smack pack, and the white labs pitchable vial are good for about 5 gallons of 1.040 wort. If you have any more wort, or higher gravity, you should make a starter.