Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Homebrewing

Notices

Keg Carbonation

Old 03-03-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
Outdoor Adventurer
TEX82Trooper is on a distinguished road

Army: Sergeant Major,3rd Bn, 39th Rgt, Texas State Guard (prior service 82nd Airborne paratrooper)
Name: John
TEX82Trooper's Tacoma Gallery
Keg Carbonation

Hey all,
I usually keg in 5 gal corny kegs and force carbonate for the sake of time, but have wanted to try naturally carbonating in the keg for a while now. I tried with the red ale I finished up a couple weeks back, but it didn't carbonate, so I wound up force carbonating it anyway. Wound up with the ale cloudy instead of nice and clear as it was when I kegged it. Other than adding in the priming sugar, what am I missing? Any tips or advice would be appreciated.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:30 AM   #2
R.O.U.S.
RV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to behold
Army: Veteran - 154th Sig. Bn., USARSO Panama
Name: Paul
RV7Garage's Tacoma Gallery
Good question. I always bottle my 5-gal batches, using corn sugar to promote krausening. With a keg, I don't know what the dynamics of the secondary fermentation would be. Subbed for answers!
Old 03-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #3
Outdoor Adventurer
TEX82Trooper is on a distinguished road

Army: Sergeant Major,3rd Bn, 39th Rgt, Texas State Guard (prior service 82nd Airborne paratrooper)
Name: John
TEX82Trooper's Tacoma Gallery
Paul,
I gave up bottling after brewing for only year, got tired of crates of bottles stacked up in my apartment and the hassle of sanitizing them. Plus it's nice just pulling a tap handle for a nice cold home brew. My beer fridge holds 2, 5 gallon kegs with taps in the door and 3 cases of bottles.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Of course you need some viable yeast in the keg for priming sugar to work, did you get it to clean?
Old 03-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
R.O.U.S.
RV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to behold
Army: Veteran - 154th Sig. Bn., USARSO Panama
Name: Paul
RV7Garage's Tacoma Gallery
I hear you. I'm gonna have to read up on in-keg carbonation. From the little bit of knowledge I have, it seems like the pros all use some kind of CO2 injection.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #6
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7Garage View Post
I hear you. I'm gonna have to read up on in-keg carbonation. From the little bit of knowledge I have, it seems like the pros all use some kind of CO2 injection.
Heilemann's Old Style and Special Export claimed "Krausened" and they did do a 10% active ferment blended into finished beer, but it was always rather a gimmick and they topped off with forced carbonation like everyone else.

Sierra Nevada technically calls their beers bottle and now can finished but the amount of carbonation derived is tiny vs forced carb.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:25 PM   #7
yowow is on a distinguished road
yowow's Tacoma Gallery
Make sure any natural carb. in kegs have a good pressure relief valves. Cornie kegs are good, as long as it's not one of those one time only pressure valves. Best to play it safe. Pepsi kegs are at 90 psi I believe. Coca-Cola kegs have the one time use safety valves. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I ferment with cornies and transfer to Sankey kegs then force Carbonite. And yes, I bought them brand new from the manufacturer. They are not 'rented'.

The cornies, I have the co2 plugged into a blow off tube. Works great. Then I can transfer to the keg with c02 pressure.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:28 PM   #8
PeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PeeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Never seen a Cornelius keg with a single use pressure release valve before.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:30 PM   #9
PeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by yowow View Post

The cornies, I have the co2 plugged into a blow off tube. Works great. Then I can transfer to the keg with c02 pressure.
Pic of this? Do you have ball lock kegs or twist lock?
Old 10-01-2014, 06:41 PM   #10
yowow's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeRunner View Post
Pic of this? Do you have ball lock kegs or twist lock?
Ball lock kegs. Then I transfer to 8 or 15.5 gallon Sankey kegs

Pin lock has 'fuse' type pressure release valves. Pin lock is Coca-Cola kegs
Attached Thumbnails
Keg Carbonation-img_20140217_104755_726.jpg  
Old 10-01-2014, 06:43 PM   #11

Oh okay. I couldn't tell if you had those fittings or not.

Nice and clean!
Old 10-01-2014, 06:47 PM   #12
yowow's Tacoma Gallery

From keg connection website. Once the pressure valve is used, you need to replace it.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:57 PM   #13

Interesting, thanks. I would probably use a different lid altogether with a normal PRV.