Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Homebrewing

Notices

Shine

Old 12-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #21
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
Kolunatic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Oh ya.
That's a credible source

Anything for ratings.

Either he would have recovered naturally, or the Vodka was not contaminated and he was merely "blind drunk"... I've been there from Long Island Iced Teas.
Ha
Old 12-10-2012, 05:21 AM   #22
BostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
BostonBilly's Tacoma Gallery
Well we will have to agree to disagree on the reason it is illegal, you say health risks and I say Feds want their $$$ which is addressed in that article. Reguardless lets get back to the intent of thread, making cider any recipes or stories of how you did it?
Old 12-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #23
BostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
I went by my local store and picked up some reg cider but it was pasteurized so I will keep looking for a base cider to start with
Old 12-12-2012, 04:36 PM   #24
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mothearthnews has one.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:01 AM   #25
Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Fast Co, Golf 2/4
Name: Zech (pronounced zak)
tx_shooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBilly View Post
Well we will have to agree to disagree on the reason it is illegal, you say health risks and I say Feds want their $$$ which is addressed in that article. Reguardless lets get back to the intent of thread, making cider any recipes or stories of how you did it?
I think it comes back to a 50/50 thing. Yes, it is dangerous if you screw it up. Yes, the government is loosing a butt load of taxes on illegal booze. Don't forget though that home brew beer was also illegal initially after the repel of prohibition until 1978 when Carter signed the bill to legalize home brew beer again.

Second - the process of taking a cider, freezing the beer, and then removing the alcohol is considered a "concentrate" not a "distilled" liquor.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:42 PM   #26
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_shooter View Post
Second - the process of taking a cider, freezing the beer, and then removing the alcohol is considered a "concentrate" not a "distilled" liquor.
Falls under the same laws.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:57 PM   #27
Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Fast Co, Golf 2/4
Name: Zech (pronounced zak)
tx_shooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Falls under the same laws.
I understand that California is used to making their own set of laws; but for the rest of the country "ice beer", "hard cider", or "ice wine" is completely legal.

Quote:
Section 25.261 authorizes the production of concentrate from beer, and the reconstitution of beer from concentrate, at the brewery. Concentrate may be transferred without payment of tax between breweries of the same ownership and may be removed from the brewery without payment of tax for export. This section does not provide for the removal of concentrate from the brewery subject to tax.

Quote:
ATF has also examined statements of process for ice beers. Our examination has found that the volume removed as ice crystals does not exceed 0.5 percent of the volume of the beer entered into the process. ATF thus concludes that removal of up to 0.5 percent of the volume of beer through the removal of ice crystals is customary industry practice and results in a product which may be considered beer.
Source: ATF Ruling 94-3

Quote:
Concentrate. Concentrate produced from beer by the removal of water under the provisions of subpart R of this part. The processes of concentration of beer and reconstitution of beer are considered authorized processes in the production of beer
Source: TITLE 27--ALCOHOL, TOBACCO PRODUCTS AND FIREARMS; CHAPTER I--BUREAU OF ALCOHOL, TOBACCO AND FIREARMS, DEPARTMENT OF THE TREASURY; PART 25--BEER

Shall I continue or does this put this one to rest? Each state has the legal right to restrict home brew operations; but as far is the Federal law is concerned concentrate is NOT distilling and IS legal.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:05 PM   #28
slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.
Leggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Leggo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That explains why it is illegal to sell it, but not why it's illegal to make it.
Remember... it is just as illegal to sell homebrew beer and wine as it is to sell concentrated alcohol.

It is a health issue.
Ethanol is good. Methanol is bad.
Methanol is the product of fermenting wood and other non-"edible" plant products.
Ethanol is a product of fermenting grain, fruit, vegetables, etc...

But some methanol is produced during the fermentation process of some fruits. Blueberry and Blackberry wine is very good. Concentrating it into a whiskey can be fatal. The tannins in the darker berries ferments out into methanol. The darker the berry, the higher the methanol content.
In a country wine where the total alcohol concentration is less than 18%, there is not enough methanol to pose a health risk.
Distilling that out raises the concentrations of both the ethanol and the methanol.

A lot of people have gone blind and died from drinking bad 'shine.
Bad beer or wine might make you ill, or it might taste horrible, but it's not going to kill you or blind you.
i always thought the lead solder in the still's were what caused blindness
Old 12-15-2012, 05:09 PM   #29
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leggo View Post
i always thought the lead solder in the still's were what caused blindness
Lead poisoning was another concern... it was from using car radiators as condensors.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:18 PM   #30
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
theres more then one place to buy it..I walked into my local Spirits, and bought two mason jars of ole smokey moonshine.

I'd still like to try the home made stuff tho.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #31

Coast Guard:
I haven't seen any up here yet. The Junior Johnson site just says to bring it up to your local liquor store so they can get it ordered. I would like to try it but I just want to try and make some cider first
Old 12-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #32
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
You'll probably have to strike a deal with a local orchard. I haven't been able to find unpasturized cider in a long, long time. Or, make your own.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:12 PM   #33
dont tread on me!

White corn,ash wood,water from a running stream flowing from the west side of a hill,or mountain. 60f preferably
Old 12-20-2012, 03:40 PM   #35
dont tread on me!

Quote:
Just saw this quoted in the 2012 gift thread http://goodoleways.com/daves-apple-p...t-recipe-file/
Good find. Bookmarked for later too bad I don't drink anymore tell me how it is.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #36
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolunatic View Post
My hillbilly kin folk,and dad ,used to make it all the time. I have a fixture book somewhere with how to make and schematics.

You can also buy it now. Junior Johnson has his own disterly,google it.
Quote:
The Nascar Junior Johnson? Thats ironic seeing as that is how it all started
Troy and Sons is better.

but that's not "shine". that's all 80 proof. though i think junior johnsons stuff might be pushing 90. it's the same alcohol content of jack daniels and the like.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:59 PM   #37
dont tread on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwheeler17 View Post
Troy and Sons is better.

but that's not "shine". that's all 80 proof. though i think junior johnsons stuff might be pushing 90. it's the same alcohol content of jack daniels and the like.
Damn. I wish it was around back in 97. Probably smoooth.

Oh well,cider for me.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:10 PM   #38
Ol Blue is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Entreprenuer
Name: Josh
Ol Blue's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Ol Blue
Here ya go. A quick Apple Pie moon shine recipe makes close to two gallons http://www.azestybite.com/2012/03/ap...moonshine.html

Ps. Add 4 shots of everclear for mild kick per 16oz jar, or more to your liking. let it sit a week with apples and cininamon sticks in it. Its delicious, even got a friend who drinks shine all the time to not be able to tell.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:43 PM   #39
lowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Papa Kurt
lowinhz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
You'll probably have to strike a deal with a local orchard. I haven't been able to find unpasturized cider in a long, long time. Or, make your own.
Carvers apple orchard in Cosby Tn has it.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:52 PM   #40
lowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Papa Kurt
lowinhz's Tacoma Gallery
Ps guys y'all need to watch a movie called "Popcorn Sutton's last Stand" I've been to the dudes house and he was a trip. It gives step by step process. RIP Popcorn.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005KQF4AK