LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Homebrewing

Notices

Shine

Old 12-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #1
BostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
BostonBilly's Tacoma Gallery
Shine

Didn't know where to ask but I figured here was the best option. Has anyone made their own? I want to try, my father in law made hard cider once but he doesn't remember how. I have googled and was over come with info, I am just looking for the basic brew
Old 12-09-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Oh yeah, this should be good!!

I have been researching this a little bit in the last year or so. I want to make my own hard cider but might try moonshine first. I was going to try rum but apparently that's pretty easy to screw up and, if you don't do it right, creates methol alcohol so it seemed like something I didn't want to mess with.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
Kolunatic's Tacoma Gallery
My hillbilly kin folk,and dad ,used to make it all the time. I have a fixture book somewhere with how to make and schematics.

You can also buy it now. Junior Johnson has his own disterly,google it.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #7
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Hard cider, beer, wine.... legal and cool for TW.

Concentrating alcohol and making 'shine, illegal and verboten on TW.
It's a federal felony.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #8
BostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
The title says "shine" but I am looking to make cider. The link brings you to cider. The Feds just want their tax money, I don't get why it is illegal to make moonshine but not beer, wine or cider. Prob a political reason from back in the day, if I remember correctly Washington was a maker of corn whiskey also. History shows that the Govt needed revenue after the Rev War and the govt decided to tax the liquor, that was when the scottish imigrants went into the woods to make their liquor.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:29 PM   #9
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post

It's a federal felony.
I thought it's still legal to make your own as long as you're not selling it?
Old 12-09-2012, 04:31 PM   #10
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I thought it's still legal to make your own as long as you're not selling it?
That covers beer, wines, and "similar"... Natural fermentation and the resulting product. I think it's something like 5 gallons per year per adult in the household. Not legal to sell, but it is legal to share.

Concentrated alcohol of any form is illegal, even for personal consumption.
Legally, it's a felony to freeze your beer for the purpose of getting a faster buzz.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:32 PM   #11
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBilly View Post
The Nascar Junior Johnson? Thats ironic seeing as that is how it all started
Yes sir. I checked out his website awhile back.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #12
dont tread on me!

Quote:

It's a federal felony.
Ruh roh raggy!
Old 12-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #13

Coast Guard:
Here you go it is about $$$ this is the link http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...t_the_law.html
Why Is Moonshine Against the Law?

You can make your own wine and beer, can't you?

By Michelle Tsai|Posted Thursday, Oct. 18, 2007, at 6:50 PM ET Moonshine

Two Georgia men pleaded guilty on Wednesday to charges of operating a moonshine still in the Chattahoochee National Forest. One of the bootleggers faces up to 35 years in prison for his crimes: making the brew, selling it, and not paying taxes on the proceeds. Back in college, the Explainer had friends who brewed their own beer, and that wasn't against the law. So why is moonshine still illegal?

Because the liquor is worth more to the government than beer or wine. Uncle Sam takes an excise tax of $2.14 for each 750-milliliter bottle of 80-proof spirits, compared with 21 cents for a bottle of wine (of 14 percent alcohol or less) and 5 cents for a can of beer. No one knows exactly how much money changes hands in the moonshine trade, but it's certainly enough for the missing taxes to make a difference: In 2000, an ATF investigation busted one Virginia store that sold enough raw materials to moonshiners to make 1.4 million gallons of liquor, worth an estimated $19.6 million in lost government revenue. In 2005, almost $5 billion of federal excise taxes on alcohol came from legally produced spirits.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:38 PM   #14
dont tread on me!

Www.juniorsmidnightmoon.com
Old 12-09-2012, 05:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBilly View Post
Two Georgia men pleaded guilty on Wednesday to charges of operating a moonshine still in the Chattahoochee National Forest. One of the bootleggers faces up to 35 years in prison for his crimes: making the brew, selling it, and not paying taxes on the proceeds. Back in college, the Explainer had friends who brewed their own beer, and that wasn't against the law. So why is moonshine still illegal?

Because the liquor is worth more to the government than beer or wine. Uncle Sam takes an excise tax of $2.14 for each 750-milliliter bottle of 80-proof spirits, compared with 21 cents for a bottle of wine (of 14 percent alcohol or less) and 5 cents for a can of beer. No one knows exactly how much money changes hands in the moonshine trade, but it's certainly enough for the missing taxes to make a difference: In 2000, an ATF investigation busted one Virginia store that sold enough raw materials to moonshiners to make 1.4 million gallons of liquor, worth an estimated $19.6 million in lost government revenue. In 2005, almost $5 billion of federal excise taxes on alcohol came from legally produced spirits.
That explains why it is illegal to sell it, but not why it's illegal to make it.
Remember... it is just as illegal to sell homebrew beer and wine as it is to sell concentrated alcohol.

It is a health issue.
Ethanol is good. Methanol is bad.
Methanol is the product of fermenting wood and other non-"edible" plant products.
Ethanol is a product of fermenting grain, fruit, vegetables, etc...

But some methanol is produced during the fermentation process of some fruits. Blueberry and Blackberry wine is very good. Concentrating it into a whiskey can be fatal. The tannins in the darker berries ferments out into methanol. The darker the berry, the higher the methanol content.
In a country wine where the total alcohol concentration is less than 18%, there is not enough methanol to pose a health risk.
Distilling that out raises the concentrations of both the ethanol and the methanol.

A lot of people have gone blind and died from drinking bad 'shine.
Bad beer or wine might make you ill, or it might taste horrible, but it's not going to kill you or blind you.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #17
dont tread on me!

I wonder if whiskey will bring your sight back. Whiskey helped override some bad vodka,guy went blind,drank some whiskey and his sight came back.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolunatic View Post
I wonder if whiskey will bring your sight back. Whiskey helped override some bad vodka,guy went blind,drank some whiskey and his sight came back.
Urban legend.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:14 PM   #19
dont tread on me!

Quote:
Urban legend.
It was on ABC world news this morning. If that matters.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolunatic View Post
It was on ABC world news this morning. If that matters.
Oh ya.
That's a credible source

Anything for ratings.

Either he would have recovered naturally, or the Vodka was not contaminated and he was merely "blind drunk"... I've been there from Long Island Iced Teas.